The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

40 posts Page 3 of 3
I have never really been a fan of breakfast, preferring a coffee to wake me up. I was always told breakfast is the most important meal of the day so made myself eat something for years.

Now some days I have breakfast and some days I don't! I never have breakfast on a fast day, saving all my calories for dinner usually, on other days it depends how hungry I am when I wake up and how much time I have!

Yesterday was a fast day and despite feeling very hungry when I went to bed I wasn't when I woke up this morning (how does that work?) so didn't have anything until I started to feel peckish around 11am.

At weekends breakfast with my partner can be more of an occasion and often I will tuck in whether I am really hungry or not!
I do eat breakfast, including on fast days. I like my high fiber cereal and I feel I need some blood sugar to get going and it's easier to eat fewer calories and feel like you've still had a meal with breakfast food. I also eat at least a snack for lunch--lunch as a break from work was always my favorite part of the work day. I could go without dinner more easily--finding time to cook dinner is a big pain, especially now that it is spring and there is so much to do outside. I easily lost weight (16 lbs in 12 weeks, most of that in the first 8 weeks, maintaining now) by eating a little something 3 times a day on fast days. I've seen comments here from people assuming there are more health benefits by going a longer number of hours without any food, but I think if you are only putting 500-600 calories in your body over a 36 hour period, most of that time your gut is empty and you are in true fasting mode, whether it is spread out or all at once.
I fell for the "you must have breakfast" mantra, so have always had a small something in the morning. I realised last week when I started 5:2, skipped breakfast on my fast day and had lunch as my first meal, that I don't really need or want breakfast. I do just fine until lunch. In fact, I'm now transitioning to eating breakfast on only two days a week, Monday and Friday, as they are the days after my fast days, though with the option to include it on another day if I feel I really need it.

I love big breakfasts, but only for lunch or dinner.
Over the last few weeks since I started the 5:2 WOE I've pretty much ditched breakfast, on fast days I leave food alone for as long as possible, just liquids until late lunch.

Saturdays bacon butty is mid morning and not much for lunch, however ....

I'm going away for a few days and staying with friends who do the biggest cooked breakfast on the planet and I love it :oops: so it's going to be interesting to see how I go this coming week ... and if there's any increase in weight :?:
Well, totting up all the answers I'm going to try doing fast days with only a snack and an evening meal! Thanks guys :) Wish me luck for a test day tomorrow....
Old Nog brings up another thing about eating - it does have a social aspect! I sometimes stay with family who, at the weekend, all have a lie in and a monster brunch about 11 am. Then nothing else until evening.So I join in. I wouldn't do a fast day at the weekend because too much is focussed round visitors, making something special to eat that we will all enjoy, hopefully low cal!

I already find that as a vegetarian I'm having to explain to people I stay with ("Don't worry - I'll just have the veggies") so I do tend to try and fit in with their plans - and that often seems to include different meal times. So I go with the flow when it comes to breakfast. Just try and avoid too many carbs at that time of day.

I suppose what I'm saying is that sometimes 5:2 calls for compromises! :?:
Pammy wrote: Old Nog brings up another thing about eating - it does have a social aspect! I sometimes stay with family who, at the weekend, all have a lie in and a monster brunch about 11 am. Then nothing else until evening.So I join in. I wouldn't do a fast day at the weekend because too much is focussed round visitors, making something special to eat that we will all enjoy, hopefully low cal!

That's the one thing I hate about having visitors or visiting, why on earth do we have to feed (or be fed) like there's no tomorrow :?: I know it is nice to give your guests a nice meal, but for goodness sake :curse: when we have visitors it's a wonder our fridge doesn't get stomach ache :confused: the number of times I've asked "what time is the next coachload arriving?"
I often reckon I could live for 2 weeks on the food that's consumed in one day when we have visitors :bugeyes:
But... why not?
Why not eat like there's no tomorrow once in a while? It's not a daily, sometimes not even a weekly habit so why not?
Good food is an enjoyment, seeing people we love is an enjoyment, combining them both and adding alcohol comes to a fun result. Personally, I am a meze lover, I love to eat variety and those big family/friends dinners are the best way to enjoy a meze feast because I never cook like that just for meself.
TML13 wrote: But... why not?
Why not eat like there's no tomorrow once in a while?

An odd meal maybe, but when a visit starts on Friday evening with a huge feast and gallons of alcohol, Saturday starts with full (and I mean full) fry up, lunchtime pasta or similar, then dinner washed down with loads of wine.
Sunday, brunch, basically a massive breakfast again, then evening is a full Sunday roast, again with more wine etc ...... Just don't get me started on the excesses of Christmas, which last for several days :pissedoff:
Old Nog wrote: Just don't get me started on the excesses of Christmas, which last for several days :pissedoff:

Please don't, I am doing Dukan attack today and tomorrow and then I'm fasting on Wednesday. :curse: :curse: :confused: :doh:
40 posts Page 3 of 3