The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

40 posts Page 2 of 3
Oops new mown hay smell in wee sorry if TMI.
This thread is one which may be relevant: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2760
The glucose fairy perhaps had the night off, 5.8 mmol/litre at 8am today with ketones at a reasonably elevated 0.5 mmol/litre.

Ate 10 almonds (one layer deep palm full), drank a mug and a half of black coffee, at 9am blood sugar 6.4. :confused:
I don't eat breakfast at all, it's never effected my ability to lose weight. I've been generally consistent with losses (provided I stick to a plan 100%...obviously). I'd go so far to say even the thought of breakfast makes me feel a little queasy, I'm just not interested in food any time before 11am.
There is a lot of breakfast theories linked with the 16:8 plan, for instance the thinking that the body naturally releases insulin shortly after waking and putting breakfast on top of that causes an insulin 'spike'...followed by a crash, which makes some feel hungrier mid morning. I believe this theory is also linked with some Paleo plans. I'm no expert but there are some interesting studies. I love the theory that cereal companies invented breakfast, the look on peoples faces when you make that claim with a straight face..
When you think about it literally, the question should be .... is a MORNING breakfast necessary?

We all have a break-fast, when we start eating again, it's just become the convention to call the morning meal that as most people break their overnight fast when then get up!!

Interestingly, the french verb for fasting is jeuner so dejeuner is to un-fast (stop fasting or break the fast)

breakfast is "petit dejeuner" - the small break-fast
lunch is dejeuner

so clearly the lunch is the more important break-fast!!
Nice work Annie D
I have mostly felt in my life that I don't want to eat breakfast
But of course I listened when the so called experts said we must
when I eat breakfast I am hungry sooner and then I want to eat again and on it goes
So part of the attraction to 5:2 fast diet was that breakfast wasn't necessary
I think breakfast (morning meal) is an individual decision once we have stopped growing. If you lost weight eating breakfast, it's usually because you then had a smaller meal at lunch. If breakfast isn't for you then why have it? Some mornings, I'm ravenous shortly after waking and other mornings I totally forget and next thing I know it's time for lunch. I love food and especially "breakfast foods" (but not cereal, yuck my least favorite) and I will eat them for whatever meal time I fancy. For some reason I got back in the habit of having breakfast in the morning instead of having breakfast because I'm hungry. This WoE has reminded me of so many habits I used to have when I was skinny that I'm sure if I can just get back to how I used to be I'll be at target weight again someday.
Unless I have had a large meal the evening before I always eat breakfast. I have tried to miss out breakfast but find I eat more food at lunch time (any time between 1pm - 3pm) and the food items aren't necessarily 'a healthy choice' because I just want to eat.
I always eat breakfast except on a fast day. I've gone through periods in my life when I didn't bother, but I enjoy it now although I have no problem skipping it on fast days. It isn't for everyone, I agree, and because I have no problem when I skip it then I understand why a lot of people don't eat it.
All of my French friends/students who consider it to be the most important meal of the day are slim, so I follow their example. Their slimness could be down to the fact that they don't snack, eat a big meal at lunch and not in the evening and don't drink too much alcohol of course!
When I eat a good breakfast, I do get hungry (but it was explained to e that it is an indicator of the metabolism working) after some time but I also eat less calories within the day and I do get hungry at the same time anyway so I'm not sure that it's the breakfast that does the difference or the fact that, well, I just want to eat.
I don't eat breakfast everyday though but only because some days I go to bed very late and I get up very late so I just have a coffee and then my lunch.
I wasn't a big breakfast eater generally but after reading about its benefits (and experiencing them) I do try to have it. If a 100 calories breakfast leads me into eating 300 calories less, then that is a 200 calories difference!!! :-)
The Greek word for breakfast is the exact same for morning. That's why I skip ti when I wake up at noon, LOL!

Franglaise, the way of eating you describe is similar to the Greek. Medium breaky, big lunch, small dinner. Although now that people work all day and since we don't do lunch breaks here, most of the people eat a big late lunch/early dinner around 7-8pm and that is the only big meal of the day apart of breakfast.
I have ate breakfast all my life and it was very odd not to eat breakfast on fast days but I find it no problem at all ,to be honest I was a bit surprised as we have always had it drilled into us the importance of a good breakfast :neutral:
Carol, I grew up in a family where no one ate breakfast and I had to actually remind my mum to make me some!!! Most of the times I took it with me to school though.
I have always been in the 'breakfast is crucial' category - if I didn't have it I knew I would be hungry soon after leaving the house and feel it helps me function better during the day - workdays mainly, weekends are more fluid and I can often go all morning without breakfast) It's only since I began this that I have started to regularly skip breakfast (on fast days) as I instinctively felt that having too much of a gap between breakfast and dinner would be too hard - and the later I started to eat the longer my fast, too.

I have discovered that I won't pass out or suddenly get uncontrollable hunger pangs and cave in and eat rubbish if I don't eat breakfast, but I do miss having some food inside me to start the day on fast days, especially if its a work day. I feel a bit 'spaced out', not quite fully focussed and just generally not on top form. I'm considering having something, even just a banana or an egg, to help me feel better.

And breakfast foods are some of my faves, too. Just broken my fast today with a bowl of porridge with fruit spread, almond butter and maple syrup - yum! Kind of a half-fast today - not calorie counting (the porridge was probably about 400 cals!) but just planning on having the porridge until dinner. more of a 'low-food' day.
I have never really been a fan of breakfast, preferring a coffee to wake me up. I was always told breakfast is the most important meal of the day so made myself eat something for years.

Now some days I have breakfast and some days I don't! I never have breakfast on a fast day, saving all my calories for dinner usually, on other days it depends how hungry I am when I wake up and how much time I have!

Yesterday was a fast day and despite feeling very hungry when I went to bed I wasn't when I woke up this morning (how does that work?) so didn't have anything until I started to feel peckish around 11am.

At weekends breakfast with my partner can be more of an occasion and often I will tuck in whether I am really hungry or not!
40 posts Page 2 of 3