The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

41 posts Page 1 of 3
Insight SBS tonight
28 May 2013, 11:37
Did any of the other Australians watch the insight program tonight on SBS. My blood is absolutely boiling. All these thin people who know exactly what fat people should do. What is wrong with us? It is so easy to lose weight - diet and exercise. Ha!
Re: Insight SBS tonight
28 May 2013, 12:03
No I missed that one. Was too busy watching the Biggest loser finale while drinking red wine :oops:
28 May 2013, 12:10
I was busy watching the qanda with Bill Gates.
28 May 2013, 15:11
Replay here

http://www.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/w ... t-Fighters

Loved the program. So many points of view

grrrr to the Bariatric surgeons. i think my facebook post on their site got deleted.
29 May 2013, 05:31
Yes I watched it; it was fascinating listening to everyone attempting to justify their point of view.

byoung, when the obesity epidemic is costing us billions of dollars a year, I don't see a problem with the people who know what works - "the thin people" - imparting advice to the ones who are clearly not getting it right - "the fat people". It's just education.
29 May 2013, 06:32
Wineoclock...hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I watched Biggest Loser Final too unfortunately without the glass of wine in hand...I was fasting :grin: :grin: :geek: Made it easy to fast watching some of those women looking fantastic! gotta say the parents were holding up the little Princesses & Princes tho. Interesting in the days of Adro et al they lost 50% of their body weight & King Richard & Awful Amber didn't even get to 30%...and he thought he was going to win - wanted the Pink girls in final cos he thought they weren't a threat but they smashed his *rse too :bugeyes:
29 May 2013, 07:23
GMH I so wanted the green team to win, they were both so lovely. Go the parents didn't they show their whining children.
Just watched the sbs program, very interesting. Some rather defensive people on it!!
My sister in law had a gastric band a few years ago. It hasn't worked. My husband sent her the fast diet book and she has been losing .5 kg a week - right on average. I haven't had a chance to really talk to her about it but I wonder if the banding makes fasting easier?
29 May 2013, 20:13
Tara25 wrote: Yes I watched it; it was fascinating listening to everyone attempting to justify their point of view.

byoung, when the obesity epidemic is costing us billions of dollars a year, I don't see a problem with the people who know what works - "the thin people" - imparting advice to the ones who are clearly not getting it right - "the fat people". It's just education.

Yes but if all the fat people had to do was to follow a healthy eating program/ diet and do some exercise we'd all be thin, right? I have been dieting or trying to diet all my life and I am at my fattest weight ever. When I follow a conventional diet I either a) find it impossible to follow e.g. Low carb eating or b) am hungry all the time. I have lost weight big-time several times over the years. Got right down to target with weight watchers and with Slimming world for instance but the drive to eat, despite following a sensible maintenance program and vowing never to regain, is overwhelming. The p
Point about conventional dieting/weight loss programs is that they don't work long term. Look at the research into ghrelin and PPY. the advice wee have been given all these years about diet is wrong.
29 May 2013, 20:25
byoung103 - you wrote " if all the fat people had to do was to follow a healthy eating program/ diet and do some exercise we'd all be thin, right?"

The answer to your question is yes.

If you find it hard to stick to a healthy diet with exercise thrown in, it doesn't mean to say that the programme/diet was wrong in the first place.

We have to take responsibility for what we do in our lives, and not resent those who manage to keep to a sensible weight.

It's hard for us as well.
29 May 2013, 20:30
I don't resent those who maintain a sensible weight, I resent them thinking that they know all about fat people's struggle with weight. What is am saying is that it may be that diet and exercise work for some people, who might well be thin anyway, but not for some others who like me, have tried and tried and tried and failed and failed and failed. Look at the research about long term success rates with conventional diet and exercise, and at recently discover appetite regulating hormones, like ghrelin and PPY.
29 May 2013, 20:41
byoung103 - I don't think that there are many adults who really are naturally thin.

Most people are overweight these days, in the UK anyway. More and more children are in the obese category, which is dreadful.

I work hard to keep fit, and deny myself all the unhealthy foods which I used to love. I know that if I take my eye off the ball, the weight will pile back on.

For some reason, slim people are considered to be lucky. Luck doesn't always come into it - it can be very hard work, and it takes a lot of willpower.
29 May 2013, 21:02
Tomtank, this is good. This works for you and that is great. What I am saying is that it does not work for me. Despite applying huge amounts of effort and willpower it does not work for me long term. It is easy to think that fat people simply do not put in the effort and are simply losers. Well I am not a loser in other areas of my life, I am considered to be successful (sorry not trying to bossy here ) but in this area of weight control I have tried and worked and tried and worked and the weight has come back like a tide coming in. I cannot keep my weight in the normal range with usual type diet and exercise. Believe me if I could I would not be here on this website.
29 May 2013, 21:10
My OH is naturally thin. He has never been even in the mid range of normal weight, bordering on underweight despite eating at least double what I do and he is not much taller than me! So he is lucky and he does not need to try to keep slim. And we're young either!
29 May 2013, 21:25
Sorry - typo - for bossy read boast
29 May 2013, 21:35
Byoung I understand. I have managed to keep my weight at a reasonable level for a while now but boy oh boy is it an everyday struggle. I get so sick of that struggle. Lets hope that 5:2 is part of the answer, although I've stalled for a month now - my fault - enjoying feed days too much.
41 posts Page 1 of 3