The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Unreliable scales
29 May 2013, 06:54
I've been using the old style scales (with the swinging needle) since I started 5:2. Bit tricky to see the exact weight but it was going down nicely so I was happy.

I then borrowed a set of digital scales so I could get a more precise reading. What a mistake! They weigh me about 4-5lbs heavier than the other ones :curse: .

I now have no idea what I actually weigh but have naturally decided to stick with the old scales.

Can't get it out of my head that I may weigh more than I thought I did :cry: .
Re: Unreliable scales
29 May 2013, 07:02
I started with the old type scales too - but bought new ones and know they are accurate even though they weigh a few kgs heavier. I now only weigh with the new ones.
29 May 2013, 07:06
I have the exact same problem but the other way around - my digital scales weigh me in lower that my doctor's old style scales - the latter have me well into 10st plus but the former have me around 9st12. Was most put out by this but my Doc just said all scales weigh differently and the key thing is to use the same scales to get a reliable readout on any changes.

I don't understand it though, surely weight is weight - its a known measurable and shouldn't be open to 'interpretation' by different scales dammit!

As my mum's digital scales weigh me in at the same weight as mine, I'm sticking with them!
29 May 2013, 07:53
So if the doc admits that all scales weigh differently then that makes BMI even less reliable! All the more reason to use a tape measure instead!
29 May 2013, 12:14
scales can be calibrated and checked, how do you get the same tension and location on a tape measure twice ?
29 May 2013, 12:42
PhilT wrote: how do you get the same tension and location on a tape measure twice ?

Useful tip: I got my best waist reductions on the days when I first put one end of the tape in a vice and then pulled hard.
29 May 2013, 13:20
dominic wrote:
PhilT wrote: how do you get the same tension and location on a tape measure twice ?

Useful tip: I got my best waist reductions on the days when I first put one end of the tape in a vice and then pulled hard.

:lol: :lol: Of course, now you have to do that every time you measure!
29 May 2013, 13:27
Not really, though I admit the tape does get a bit thinner each time. But it's worth it for the health benefits.
29 May 2013, 13:36
Lol dominic.
My scales are very nice in my bedroom and give me one pound more in my bathroom. Do you guess where I wejgh ?
9 posts Page 1 of 1