The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
I know that a lot of mystics in the east use fasting and meditation to sharpen the mind and meet with God.

I wondered if anyone has had any weird experiences from fasting, such as lucid dreams, sharpened senses/intuition or anything more dramatic like spiritual/mystical experiences.

Although I would like to lose weight and get healthier I am very interested in the religious/spiritual aspect of fasting and wondered if anyone has noticed a difference to their non-fasting state?
Belladonna wrote: I know that a lot of mystics in the east use fasting and meditation to sharpen the mind and meet with God.

I wondered if anyone has had any weird experiences from fasting, such as lucid dreams, sharpened senses/intuition or anything more dramatic like spiritual/mystical experiences.

Although I would like to lose weight and get healthier I am very interested in the religious/spiritual aspect of fasting and wondered if anyone has noticed a difference to their non-fasting state?

I did when I would go on longer fasts in the past (>5 days). With 5:2 I haven't noticed too much in particular though I was knocked out of bed recently by a very shocking dream--hate to use nightmare but it qualifies--lucid dream. I won't go into the details but it involved the death of my sister (who is in fact dead). So upsetting that I went back into the dream afterwards and changed the upsetting ending to make it less so...(don't know how I did that, but I did).
For the first few fasts I had very restless sleep interspersed with vivid dreams. I generally feel more alert when I fast but sadly I don't think I have gained any spiritual insight.
I did feel all floaty and funny walking round town after work on 230 calories but its my first day and I suppose its to be expected.
Look forward to seeing other peoples experiences re: "weird" experiences
I have had very lucid dreams. I also feel strange, all the time. I dont know how to explain it but I am not myself. I hope this feeling will go slowly and I will feel more settled.
emsy44 - I know what you mean about feeling strange all the time. I'm on my 12th fast today, and the feeling's still there!!
tomtank wrote: emsy44 - I know what you mean about feeling strange all the time. I'm on my 12th fast today, and the feeling's still there!!

Oh dear!! I do find it quite unsettling. I guess I am just going to have to get used to it. I definitely dont want to give up on this :like:
Lastresort2013 - Yes, often I feel like that at the end of a fast - floaty and a bit buzzed!

Merlin - I like your response too because my day does involve feeling just plain hungry (LIKE RIGHT NOW)!

Although I'm not super religious, and never fast for my own religion (only for health), I now understand why people fast for religious reasons. There is this clarity and calmness that comes, at least sometimes...

Not all my fasts are like today's. But today I actually woke up, as if my body was totally waiting and ready for this fast, and it's been relatively good all day...
No weirder (is that a word?) than usual. I always have had vivid, lucid dreams. Also sleep paralysis when I'm sure I'm awake but can't move. I'm thankful that fasting hasn't made things worse.
Fasting affects the brain chemistry so it's not surprising that longer fasts are associated with "musical" experiences. I think for us short term, intermittent fasters, it is less likely. Probably the dreams are too do with increased cortisol due to the mild stress of fasting, the floaty feeling is likely low blood sugar and will pass with more experience. After 7 months on this wol I feel completely normal on fast days.
I love meditating when fasting as it hightens my feelings of the surrounging. If you want to know more, PM me. I am very spiritual is all I will say in public. :smile:
Good question, many religions use fasting as a meditative tool. I think you mighf have to fast for longer to feel mystical.
Im with you Merlin, just hungry!! Bit light headed During the first few fasts, but that has mostly gone as I got used to going hungry. Feel cold on fast days too, as many do, and we are into full winter here in NZ now so today at work I spent some of my time hunting down a heater to stash next to me at my desk.

Thanks Caroline, can always rely on you for the science
interesting paper here about how fasting/ketosis can cause euphoria: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17 ... 20euphoria
carorees wrote: interesting paper here about how fasting/ketosis can cause euphoria: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17 ... 20euphoria

Carorees thank you for posting that link. I feel amazing when I fast and the euphoria carries on for a couple of days after but I never experienced euphoria when I was low carbing. I have been low carbing on and off over the years and always had great success with my weight loss when low carbing but I could never maintain it as a way of life.

So methinks in my case the euphoria may be due to some effect on my brain chemistry.

Hopefully in time all these things will be researched and then we will have a better idea of what is really going on.
17 posts Page 1 of 2