The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Just saw a news article about the nations obesity still increasing even though we know more about health than we ever did. Why aren't more people trying 5:2??? I can't understand it! Why are most people happy to pop pills and swill shakes than they are to eat healthily and restrict quantity?
I suppose this is more of a rant than a question, but I just dont get it. I wish I had known about 5:2 while I was still in my twenties. Ive said it before and ill say it again, this WOL has saved my life.
Many people want someone else to take responsibility for their life that way they don't have to take responsibility for themself and then it is always the fault of someone else when things go wrong.

Not true in all cases but something I have seen in my life experience.
I think a lot of people are looking for the quick fix. The magic pill. The Staples Easy Button. Fasting sounds like a lot of effort. I think it sounds harder than it actually is. I am at a stage where people are starting to notice and comment. A lot of people ask what the secret is...but, there really is no secret. The answer is still eat less and move more. Fasting days work for me and would likely work for most people if they'd just open their minds to trying something different.
I've lost count of the number of people who've said "oh, I couldn't fast, I get shaky/can't function/get grumpy etc etc if I don't eat regularly". They won't even try it.
People also have it in their heads that fasting is dangerous. Well, it can be, if you do it too long but you don't hear of Jews dying of hunger on Yom Kippur or Muslims in Ramadan, do you? Catholics used to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday - again, they didn't die in waves.
mummybunny2005 wrote: People also have it in their heads that fasting is dangerous. Well, it can be, if you do it too long but you don't hear of Jews dying of hunger on Yom Kippur or Muslims in Ramadan, do you? Catholics used to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday - again, they didn't die in waves.

YES! Some people freak when you tell them about fasting. I think Americans especially. It is just not part of most of the US culture like it is for some others. They act as if you will fall over dead if you miss a meal. There are some people around here who would probably do well to miss a few meals!
Interestingly my friend, who knows I do 5:2, told me her husband has been recommended it by a nurse. He has high cholesterol and is a little overweight. The nurse said that shifting weight after the age of 40 is really difficult and she thought 5:2 would really work for him. Glad to hear the medical profession is cottoning on.
It's a shame it's called the '5:2 Fast Diet'. I'm sure the very word 'fast' puts people off, they disregard it because they think it's about going without any food for days. I don't mention the 'fast' word at all, I just tell people that I'm cutting right down on calories for a couple of days a week - that sounds easy - which it is!
It takes time to cotton on. When 5:2'ers have stopped dieting and maintain their weight for some time (I don't know how long), then people will see the diet works.

Will people continue to post their results and keep in touch with this site when they have reached their goal. Will others be able to see that this diet works - not just for losing weight?

It takes time. Most people are resigned to something that cannot be changed. We live in an obesogenic environment - and when everyone else is fat, how can you tell that you are fat?

Let's hope this site keeps growing and spreading the word... :like:
I tell anyone who asks me about my weight loss that I just skip breakfast and lunch twice a week and have a light dinner of about 500 cals. People seem to relate better to the idea of skipping a meal or two than if you say the F word! I think everyone has skipped a meal now and then, but most have never tried a "fast" (although, of course that's what they were doing but didn't know it!
carorees wrote: I tell anyone who asks me about my weight loss that I just skip breakfast and lunch twice a week and have a light dinner of about 500 cals. People seem to relate better to the idea of skipping a meal or two than if you say the F word! I think everyone has skipped a meal now and then, but most have never tried a "fast" (although, of course that's what they were doing but didn't know it!

That's brilliant :cool:

Let's all become skippers! :shock:
IMO, it is not a question of why people don't do 5:2. They might be still reluctant, they might not like eating only 500 calories for 2 days, they might not fancy the calorie difference because of digestive problems or stomach problems.
The question is why don't people do something to lose weight. It's not just 5:2, there are many ways to lose weight and I'm sure that there is one for each and everyone of us.
I also have the 'can't miss a meal - feel ill/breakfast is the most important meal!' I don't care :wink: I have a lot of weight to lose and this works for me. I do use MFP to track what I eat on my days off as I am am over eater extraordinaire :shame:
This way of eating has really kick started me on to a healthier lifestyle. I never really exercised either but I now do 20 mins on the treadmill before and 30 mins after work. I would never have done that before, when we were in Cornwall (hilly!) I didn't struggle or have to stop walking to have a rest. Yes losing the weight did help but the knowledge that I can do this, I don't find it difficult and I don't feel deprived means I want to carry on.
I expect the weight loss to slow down but it took a long time to get this fat so it will take a long time to come off. I'll be 40 next year and hopefully be fitter and healthier than I have ever been!

Sorry for the long post - I'm so enthusiastic about this - LOL :oops: :razz:
As we are an independent forum can't we have a name change and lose the 'fast' that might encourage more to come in and have a look at how well we are doing. :smile:
The Two Day Diet?
20 posts Page 1 of 2