The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

21 posts Page 1 of 2
For me, it is removing my desire to snack/overeat. I think it comes from knowing now when I'm truly hungry and when I just want to eat something.

How about you?
Knowing part of it is also is eating mindfully, using smaller portion sizes on smaller plates, that it is a way of life, flexibility, finding this forum and such a supportive community, the humour and wit as we fall over dust ourselves off and get back on track again and again and again. :)
What amazes me, gillymary, is I feel I knew all the things you mention before but now it's no trouble to implement them.
Yep a forgiving WOE to lose weight and optimise our health
A feeling of relaxed control and certainty.

Apparently, after week of eye tests and dentist visits, my teeth are good, my eyes have improved (!) and I'm fitter too...
Not forever wondering about the next meal! If I feel hungry it no longer bothers me. Don't have to worry about squeezing in meals when travelling for example.
I agree with you all - I am now eating in response to real hunger and not just habit or for comfort. Doing this makes food taste so much better.

Also I have been thinking for a while that I have been feeling much less stressed and generally happier since I have been on 5:2. I can't decide whether that is because of what and how I am eating now or because losing weight makes me feel good about myself. Has anyone else noticed this?
For me ... No longer feeling guilty eating food that was previously seen as a sin.
It's straightforward, it's simple ... When I see friends ploughing through their WW regimes day in day out - OMG ...................!
For me it's the energy, I know it's part of the 'obvious' but now I can vacuum the whole house in one go instead of doing the downstairs one day and upstairs the next.

And confidence! I can wear my jeans without trying to cover my rear end with long jumpers and tops, I'll always be pear shaped but not such a large round pear, more Conference variety than Packham! :wink:
carorees wrote: Not forever wondering about the next meal! If I feel hungry it no longer bothers me. Don't have to worry about squeezing in meals when travelling for example.

Usually I fly and fast, but tomorrow it's a drive and fast. Have you fasted during a road trip? I'm a little worried it will give me too much time to think about being hungry.

And all the other responses are great, too. I've never done WW but my mom has and seems like a lot of work!
We did a long road trip to Scotland earlier this month and didn't bother to stop for lunch, but didn't fast as such as we had breakfast and dinner. But the great thing was that when we were looking for somewhere to have dinner, I felt so relaxed about the possibility that we might not find anywhere nice and wouldn't have worried about skipping dinner if need be...so liberating!
...knowing that I found the best way to maintain weight. I might strangle to lose it but I know that I won't gain it back.
I haven't changed the way I'm eating nor I eat less when there is lots of food around and I certainly won't stop snacking, LOL! I love snacks and overeating too much to give them up so I'll probably continue doing them until my digestive system starts screaming "YOU ARE TOO OLD FOR THAT, LADY"!!!
I am really amazed and delighted how very quickly my attitude to food has changed - there is no longer this terrible fear that I might be being "strict" any moment again soon, which used to result in overeating because I was "allowing" myself the food I wanted but only for a limited time before the diet took over again. I am so relaxed about food now. Apart from the discipline on fast days, I eat what I want when I want and am actually naturally eating a lot less than I used to.
Allowing myself to be hungry & understanding the difference between being hungry & thirsty & not being worried about feeling that. It also has given me back control!! I now know if I have overeaten on one day I can partly remedy that with a fast. Also the hope that finally I have found a WOE that may enable me to maintain my new weight once I have got to my correct BMI.
Saved time...less time planning, prepping, cooking, and cleaning up after meals. Yes, I'm that lazy! :P
21 posts Page 1 of 2