The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Maple syrup diet
13 Jun 2013, 08:57
I did the maple syrup diet last year and it worked well for me and felt really good while on it.
My question is do you think I can do this as my intake on my fast days? Each glass consists of half squeezed lemon, 2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup, cayenne pepper and boiled water.
Any thoughts please.
Jaine
Re: Maple syrup diet
13 Jun 2013, 09:01
No, it sounds terrible - all that sugar and no nutrition. Better off fasting completely in my book...
13 Jun 2013, 09:39
Sadly, I think that the sugar content is not good on a fast day. Some other kind of liquid fast might work for you...vegetable broth for example rather than maple syrup. I don't think there is anything magical about maple syrup. I expect you felt good because you were almost fasting! Still, if you did well on the maple syrup diet I'm sure you will do well on 5:2! Did you want to avoid solid food or were you just thinking that the maple syrup thing is very simple? I'm sure we can come up with some alternative for you.
13 Jun 2013, 11:34
Since I've done it and with great results and knowing that cooking is not the love of your life, I will say absolutely!
I had a very bad adventure with my stomach recently and it does protest when it remains empty but as soon as I feel myself again my fast days will be syrup days.
What I really liked when I did it ( but I had coffee in the morning) is the fact that the syrup I was using (the Neera one) was suppressing my appetite and I never felt hungry.
Personally, I am a big fan of this diet!
13 Jun 2013, 11:41
Sugar definitely makes me hungrier on fast days. My concern would be that this might be harder than just fasting until dinner and eating a 500 calorie or less dinner.

I live in maple syrup country, so that's a very popular "cleanse" in these parts. I'm not sure about doing it twice a week indefinitely though.
13 Jun 2013, 11:46
Tracienits, others don't eat anything on fast days, they do water fasts.
13 Jun 2013, 11:50
*some* others don't eat anything on fast days. I think a large majority still eat most of their 500/600 calories on fast days.
13 Jun 2013, 11:55
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm only saying that since it is considered OK to not eat any food, it's equally OK to have a drink that reduce hunger and give you some sort of energy.
13 Jun 2013, 13:00
I do see all your points. The master cleanse does take my hunger pangs away but then I am also aware it is a form of sugar. Think I will just have it for my breakfast on fast days and have the other 400 in other ways.
Jaine.
Thanks all
13 Jun 2013, 13:03
TML, initially, I was like the others and thought it sounded a not great idea but you have got my interest going, do tell, please!

Ballerina x :heart:
13 Jun 2013, 20:42
Maple syrup but where's the pancakes !! Now my mouth is watering :grin:
13 Jun 2013, 20:59
Just curious, what is the thinking behind it? Is it that it's meant to give you energy? I do liquid fast and I do include the evil diet coke in that as it makes me happy and gives me some sweetness. Is there meant to be some magic behind it?
13 Jun 2013, 21:09
Ballerina, in a few words...
Neera is a syrup based on maple syrup and a few other ingredients, which you dilute in water, adding lemon juice and hot pepper. You drink up to 5 glasses of that mix daily and you lose up to 1 kilo each day.

I must confess though that I do cheat and drink coffee as usually because if I don't I will resemble a zombie, LOL!

Μariposa, I think that it does contain some vitamins and minerals to give you energy and suppress the appetite. And it doesn't have the evil sparkles which are bad for an empty stomach.
13 Jun 2013, 21:16
TML do you drink black coffee only on this diet?
13 Jun 2013, 21:26
No, I add a splash of low fat milk. I can't drink my coffee black...
25 posts Page 1 of 2