The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

31 posts Page 1 of 3
coconut oil
20 Jun 2013, 12:50
Has anyone seen a difference in waist measurement when consuming coconut oil?
Re: coconut oil
20 Jun 2013, 12:53
I'm not sure how one could tell whether any reduction was due to the coconut oil or the fasting!!!

Anyway, lots of info and debate on #coconutoil on the forum, try clicking on the hashtag!
20 Jun 2013, 14:06
Well, I did look at previous posts and did not see the info I was seeking thus the new post. Coconut oil is supposed to target belly fat so I wondered if any of your followers had any experience in the matter. Thanks
20 Jun 2013, 14:40
clairemarie wrote: Coconut oil is supposed to target belly fat

So I had a quick look for any evidence that coconut oil targets belly fat and found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?ter ... +adiposity

The researchers gave groups of women with abdominal fat daily does of 2 tablespoons of either soy bean oil or coconut oil for 12 weeks, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced reduced calorie diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. After the 12-weeks supplementation the coconut oil group had higher HDL and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 vs. 3.1). Both groups lost weight but only the coconut oil group showed a reduction in waist. The soy bean oil group by contrast had a worse lipid profile (higher total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, and lower HDL). The scientists concluded that coconut oil seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

So, yes, it looks like it might! Mind you, 2 tbsp coconut oil on a fast day would really eat into your calorie allowance so I think I might skip it on those days!
20 Jun 2013, 15:21
Interesting. Some research from 1976 here suggests that coconut oil is more ketogenic than soya bean oil (i.e. promotes fat-burning). The study was in chicks (the yellow fluffy ones) - might interest you Caroline?
20 Jun 2013, 15:30
I have been using coconut oil for some weeks now and my belly is smaller, but I have also been doing 5.2!! So is it the chicken or the egg? It tastes divine so go ahead and eat the white stuff! :smile:
20 Jun 2013, 15:40
dominic wrote: Interesting. Some research from 1976 here suggests that coconut oil is more ketogenic than soya bean oil (i.e. promotes fat-burning). The study was in chicks (the yellow fluffy ones) - might interest you Caroline?

It's too expensive to feed to my chickens!!! Or was that not why you posted this study?
20 Jun 2013, 16:23
carorees wrote: It's too expensive to feed to my chickens

Yes and it probably makes the eggs taste funny.

Well dhana and Caroline you have convinced me so I've gone and bought some (Tiana) coconut oil so I now want to believe all good things about it: lots of MCTs which increase metabolism, good for the thyroid etc etc.

Have yet to try it though, I might hate the taste...
20 Jun 2013, 16:29
Hum, another good excuse to eat coconut oil, I LOVE the stuff, it's only the cost and the need to consume omega 3s and vitamin B12 that makes me use other oils as well!
20 Jun 2013, 16:33
Mine came today and I made a curry, smells lovely!
20 Jun 2013, 16:36
It's fabulous on skin and hair too! My hair was really dry and frizzy on the ends so I started putting coconut oil just on the ends after I washed it, and it's brilliant!
20 Jun 2013, 16:40
I still had my coconut oil fix today, a fasting day. One teaspoonful in a shake for lunch, lovely with Almond milk and strawberries. Today I was a bit naughty and had a baby banana shake instead, tasted even better. :wink:

Chris x
20 Jun 2013, 16:47
On non-fasting days, I stir a TB into a cup of hot coffee........yummy!

For those not liking the taste of coconut, MCT oil is tastless. I give it to my husband in his orange juice for the health benefits.
20 Jun 2013, 17:59
Thank you all. I was hoping coconut oil on fast day for breakfast in coffee would both ward off hunger and whittle my waist quicker.
20 Jun 2013, 18:11
Nicky_94: Do we still need to worry about Omega 3 if we are not eating polyunsaturates high in Omega 6? I got the impression it is the ratio that was important, if we decide to eat saturated fat instead surely there will be no Omega 6 to speak of? Or have I misunderstood the whole thing....?

Anyway, tonight's omelette was fried in coconut oil, and I added some to my baked potato as well - delicious!
31 posts Page 1 of 3