The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

28 posts Page 2 of 2
Hi everyone.

My OH and I started in August. He's lost 2 stone at a very slow rate - he's a big beer drinker on his feast days :) - and is now 2lbs away from his target of 13st 6lbs. That's still a bit overweight but he looks and feels about right so I think that's pretty good. I was only about 1 stone overweight - all middle age podge around my belly - and it dropped off really quickly. Hello waist!

We both cope well on 5:2. We have a light lunch - usually homemade veg soup or an omlette then our main meal in the evening. I always cook something and the faves are veg curry, veg chilli (no carne) stir frys with either prawns or chicken breast, salmon or trout fillets with veg. We put plenty of spices in everything.

I haven't cracked how to maintain it though. I've tried 6:1 but still kept losing weight and I've tried 24 hr fasting with a proper meal at the end but ended up crawling the walls mid afternoon. I really want to keep up the health benefits as well as keep the weight steady so any tips about maximising the repair mode but not losing weight would be very welcome.

Good luck to all of you who are just starting. The months have just flown by and we've found it really easy to miss the odd week here and there for Christmas and holidays and just pick up again afterwards. AND the food bills are down - Result!
Great question Ginger17.
As a newcomer myself to this WOL it really is inspiring to read all your success stories. I truly hope that in a few months I will be able to share similar stories with others.
how fantastic that people are still losing weight long term as this is where most eating plans fall down. I cant imagine being at a place where I was trying NOT to lose anymore weight - its amazing!
Thank you to all the inspiring posters on this thread. I can see that some feel as though they have been given back their lives (thanks Suchard) which really is a fairly sobering thought. Why have we let food rule our lives for so long? Now who's in charge eh?
Hello, I am a newbie to forums, so please be gentle. This is my second week (4th fast). I am 38 years old and have yo-yo dieted for the past 20 years (must've spent hundreds of pounds!). I am looking for some of you who have been on it for a while. I was super excited last week as my first weigh in showed that I had lost 4lbs! I want to lose another 2 stone and 9lbs. I have 18 weeks before I go on holiday. Realistically what can I expect in terms of shedding those pounds before I jet off. Would very much appreciate any advice! Thank you! :)
I lost weight quickly in the first couple of weeks then it has settled down to a steady rate of weight loss - about 1lb a week. I don't worry about my off days though, you can always add some exercise and calorie counting to those days for greater effect. The great thing about 5:2 is that you will not put that weight back on so the old days of losing a few pounds after careful dieting and exercise then putting it all back on when you finish are gone (as long as you stick to 5:2 of course ;) ).
Mani
That first week will have mostly been water - as we all tend to dehydrate on fast days.
If you are sensible there is no reason why you cannot lose a steady 1-2 pounds a week on average (some weeks will be better than others).

IMPORTANT THINGS
Start exercising now - so that the butterfly that will appear from under the padded caterpillar will be toned.

And think of your food on a weekly not a daily basis - so that a 'by golly its cold, need a snack' day is balanced by a 'yes but I have enough calories around my waist to tide me over for a bit' day.

Do not buy any books.
Do not buy any products.
Check into the forum daily to be motivated and you'll be fine.
talkinpeace wrote: Start exercising now - so that the butterfly that will appear from under the padded caterpillar will be toned.

Love that! Im definately a padded caterpillar atm!
Thank you Blast First and Talkinpeace. It is good to get advice and will deffo start exercising more. I have a big road ahead but I really want to stick with it. :0)
Have a look at the progress tracker forum stats. Filter the results by your own characteristics, it will tell you what the average weight loss for people like you has been...just multiply by 18 to get tour predicted loss!
Thank you Carorees! That is a great idea! Much appreciated. All 3 of you have done so well so far, you are all a great inspiration. :0)
Serious point about the caterpillar ....

Lady I swim with started in May 2011. She was so fat that her chin went straight into her boobs - spherical, no other way to put it.
since then she has lost more than half her bodyweight (around 11 stone lighter) she's 5'2 ish
she swims seven days a week and as she got lighter started doing more and more and more classes - she's now on Yoga, pilates, bodypump, spin, bodycombat, bodyattack, salsa, you name it.
She has neck, collarbones, defined boobs, leg muscles.
she also has a huge fold of tummy (communal changing rooms) but because she works VERY hard on her muscles, that will be a skin tuck later in the year
the rest of her looks toned - arms and legs have shrunk ... only the tummy will need surgery.
people who have known her a long time (20 years) are gobsmacked
but she LOVES turning heads for the right reasons.

it IS worth the effort, but being fit as soon as you can will make a HUGE difference
That lady sounds like a very brave and inspiring individual. Stories like that really make you sit up and think that I can do it too! I admire the fact that she has worked very hard with no gimmicks or tricks. She should be extremely proud of herself. It is proof that hard work and determination can bring real results and of course the impact on her health must be so great. Please pass on my congrats to her. I am in awe! :0)
28 posts Page 2 of 2