The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

31 posts Page 1 of 3
:?: I know many people save the bulk of their 500 or so calories for an evening meal and get by on black coffee, fruit teas or miso soup for most of the day, but have you ever almost reached bedtime on a fasting day and felt an irresistible urge to eat something that you know will take over your limit? :curse: If so, what has worked for you to stave off the hunger pangs, apart from drinking water, that hasn't undone all your good work?
I find if I brush my teeth and have a lovely fresh taste in my mouth that it stops me picking at anything edible or in desperation sucking a sugar free Polo mint. :grin:
Having a long luxurious soak in the bath also takes my mind off food and relaxes me before bedtime or painting my nails as I can't eat then! :wink:
Sparkling/carbonated water seems to help me - I only seem to want it on fasting days. Agree with brushing teeth, I think peppermint tea might also be worth a try.
I like to make sure I always save just enough calories for a low cal hot choc- that really helps curb my appetite just before bed
Did you have to mention bacon? :bugeyes:

I have a jar of pickled gerkins in the fridge which I nibble when the hunger strikes - not many calories and the savoury taste takes away any cravings for sweet things. Actually I think I might have one now..... :lol:

Am also a fan of a cup of highlights hot choc in the eve, very satisfying!
I just take a cup of dandelion tea up to bed early.. Fasting days I find myself in bed between 8-9pm so that i'm out of harms way!!!!!! I'll either watch something on catch up on the laptop or do some crosswords to keep myself distracted and wind down.
A cup of highlights usually does the trick for me, actually I tend to use a teacup and have a half portion for 20 cals, which still feels like a treat (and I don't mind having it on top of my 500 cals if I really need it!)
I have breakfast (porridge) at 7am - lots of lemon & hot water during the day or herbal/fruit teas - then the rest of my 500 for my evening meal at 7pm which I usually have lots of baby salad leaves and watercress with. I often eat steamed fish or prawns, seafood on fast days yum yum (salmon tonight) :grin:
Oh no Callyanna please don't mention bacon!! :bugeyes:
25-cal miso soup is my (sometime) savior on fast days.
crispy chopped up raw carrots! Mmmmmm nom nom nom x
drilakila wrote: crispy chopped up raw carrots! Mmmmmm nom nom nom x

You're quite right there drilakila, baby carrots especially are lovely and sweet and just hit the spot! :razz:
At the moment, a nice hot cup of Bovril - only 13 cals.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm can't we all just smell that bacon !!!

Home made soup is my answer.... in fact I've got some just simmering on the hob at the moment :oops: Other than that, if it's coming up for 9pm then I'll take a cup of tea to bed and read... that seems to get me out of trouble :smile:
I have a lot. A few dry bran flakes are good for picking at of an evening. Half a banana mashed with almond milk, and topped with a few bran flakes. A small glass of diet coke with ice and lemon, and a small spoon of ice-cream - feels like a dessert! Hot choc made with cocoa powder, almond milk and a small amount of Stevia. Sugar free polo's, or gum, mandarin oranges in natural juice with a spot of Elmlea, an apple or a Satsuma. None of these are more than 50 cals, and if it takes me that much over the 500 I'm not going to stress:)

Sue
soobidoobs wrote: I have a lot. A few dry bran flakes are good for picking at of an evening. Half a banana mashed with almond milk, and topped with a few bran flakes. A small glass of diet coke with ice and lemon, and a small spoon of ice-cream - feels like a dessert! Hot choc made with cocoa powder, almond milk and a small amount of Stevia. Sugar free polo's, or gum, mandarin oranges in natural juice with a spot of Elmlea, an apple or a Satsuma. None of these are more than 50 cals, and if it takes me that much over the 500 I'm not going to stress:)

Sue

Some great ideas there, many thanks! :grin: :like:
31 posts Page 1 of 3