The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
White carbs??
10 Oct 2013, 12:06
What do you mean by that? All I can come up with is rice, refined sugar and white flour....
Can imagine to give up white sugar and flour but not when making kanelbullar nor kladdkaka (mud cake) and most rice portions (I use Basmati).
Enlighten me :geek:
Re: White carbs??
10 Oct 2013, 12:19
To my knowledge white carbs are sugar, flour, pasta, rice and potatoes. Yes all the things we get addicted to. The old saying that everything we like is bad for us is again proved right. they are to good for us if we eat them in moderation. That is the battle I am having now I can eat meat in moderation vegetables in moderation beans seeds and nuts in moderation. but when it comes to White carbs once my body even gets a sniff I eat far to much, at the moment it is all or nothing, what I am trying desperately to achieve is MODERATION D--- IT
10 Oct 2013, 12:21
Sorry that should read they are only good for us in moderation.
10 Oct 2013, 13:26
Well I don't over eat pasta, rice or potatoes, but find a meal would be bland without them. I mean - what is a carbonara without the pasta? And our Sunday roasted chicken without my yummy potato gratin?? ;)
10 Oct 2013, 17:22
Turnip gratin is yummy
10 Oct 2013, 18:30
Swede gratin or celeriac instead? Cauliflower gratin? Cauliflower makes great "rice" and courgettes make tasty "spaghetti" if you peel them with a julienne peeler. There are always alternatives that aren't white carbs... ;)
10 Oct 2013, 23:01
I'm trying to cut back on my bread addiction again as I'm intolerant to it. But there were left over teacakes so I made them into bread and butter pudding, and had that instead. Ooops! But who can blame me, I can't afford to waste food and if there is a way to use up the stale or leftover food I will do so, even if it does cause me discomfort (not in a food poisoning sense).
10 Oct 2013, 23:25
I could go without bread and pasta (even though it's bloody inconvenient) but my 'vice' is rice! I just love it.. and even though I probably should, I just don't want to give it up.
11 Oct 2013, 00:21
I can live without rice, pasta and potatoes. But bread, that is another story :frown:
11 Oct 2013, 00:30
I am low to moderate carbs; but I don't try to go without all of those things all of the time. I don't eat white carbs on fast days. Period. Like never. On the weekdays that I am not fasting, I eat one or two servings of carbs with dinner sometimes it is a fruit or veggie carb and dark chocolate. Occasionally, brown rice or a small potato. On the weekends I have been known to eat more of the white stuff. I still don't go crazy with it; but if there is something I have been wanting like pizza or pasta or Chinese; I will eat it on Saturday or Sunday for dinner. Along with dessert and sometimes even a frozen margarita for good measure. :wink:

If I hadn't had a few of those treats along the way I would have stopped fasting long ago. You have to figure out what you are willing to live with and live without in order to make it work.
11 Oct 2013, 07:40
Bread is my downfall, always has been. Since going on 5:2 I've realised that it's bread that causes me to bloat and I don't eat white supermarket bread, only proper artisan loaves made with whole flour. I've cut back on carbs generally since starting - none on fast days except occasionally and little on feed days. Pasta is not something I eat huge amounts of but I do like rice and potatoes. I don't eat sugar. There's some in the cupboard for when friends visit and want it in their coffee, or if I get the rare urge to bake but a bag of the white stuff can last me up to 2 years!
11 Oct 2013, 07:53
LilSmiler, we're the same! Rice (jasmine rice particularly) is the one thing I refuse to live without :P. I was raised in a country where people eat rice 3 times a day. The saying is "you haven't had a meal until you've had rice". Bread is considered as snack, hehehe :D.
12 posts Page 1 of 1