The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

36 posts Page 2 of 3
My daughter said to me today " mummy your boobies are getting bigger" so I said " no darling mummy's belly is getting smaller so you can see them better now" hahahaha out of the mouths of babes
My hubby, he tells me all the time what a difference he can see, a few people have noticed at work but they know what I'm doing. Must be noticeable now as even my kids have commented! :lol:
My colleagues were the first to mention it. My family know my weight can be a sensitive subject so we don't really talk about it, which is fine by me! My best friend only said something recently, after I'd lost 77lbs but again it's a delicate area for her too so I'm ok with it.
Is it my idea or do people in the UK and the US don't comment on weight loss?

I mean, they can't not see it, right? If a person lost 30 pounds then those around them must notice! If that took place here in Greece then people would be talking about it, congratulating, asking, hand shaking etc!
I think you're right TML, it's a bit of a sensitive subject, in the same way that you don't comment on someone’s weight gain you don't comment on their weight loss. I know that I feel embarrassed if someone says 'have you lost weight' or 'OMG, you've lost so much weight' - I don't know why, I guess a lot of English people have problems accepting complements, plus it sounds like you're telling the person they were overweight before.

I also think that if you see someone a lot and you don't know they are trying to lose weight you can really not see it - I know that a good friend some weight but I didn't really see it until I saw a pic of her from a couple of months earlier! Of course that's a few pounds, not 30...
My friends and I can tell if one has gained or lost even a couple of pounds. And since we all gain and lose weight all the time (2-3 kilos, not heaps of them) we always tell each other when we notice a weight loss. "Have you lost weight" is the best compliment one can say around here, LOL!
I agree, Nicky, I get very embarrassed when people comment on it, but a colleague told me off for not accepting a compliment with good grace!
Campanula, any idea why? I mean, I am on the top of the world every time someone tells me.
Yes that's right I think Nicky - I think generally people here in UK won't comment - but think it's part of the 'giving people their privacy' thing we have going here. Actually I wouldn't comment on anyone's weight, unless they were family. The first person to notice was my mum. My sister recently lost a lot of weight, because of a marriage break up, and I certainly didn't comment on that.
Silverdarling, anyone here would have said "wow, the break up did good to your looks"!
Just to give you a rough idea, if one of us has food poisoning the first question is "what did you eat" and the second "how much weight did you lose" and if it's anything above half a kilo the reply is "well done"!!!
Even the weight I lost after my aunt dying was complimented, LOL!

I guess we are the living proof of the saying that there's always something good coming from a bad thing. :-)
Haha - lol! I think it's also a Mediterranean thing as well - you are a lot more direct and upfront in some things than us Northern Europeans - noticed this especially in Italy, where I've been most, but also Spain.
I've lost 30lb, but its a drop in the ocean to what I need to lose. So it will be a while before I get non-family compliments.
My DH just said I am half my size. I am wearing. Black pencil skirt 2 sizes smaller, black tights and nifty pair of black court shoes and a fitting jazzy black jacket. He was the first to notice and continues to be encouraging
According to my tracker I should have lost half my starting weight by my wedding anniverssary in 2014, which means i will have got rid of 'the other woman' in my life. The one clinging so tightly to me and copying my every move.
Nobody has commented on my weight loss so far, but a British friend of mine told me the other day that I looked healthier and more energetic. So that's positive. After all I don't do this for other people, but, very selfishly, for my own health.
36 posts Page 2 of 3