The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

17 posts Page 1 of 2
I've not had time to look around too far on here yet, so not sure if this next bit would be better elsewhere, but one thing I'm really interested to know is how people feel after they eat for the first time in a day, any day? I don't know why this is, but I have found if I eat early in the day, contrary to what a lot of the diet plans tell you, I'll eat more across the day, than if I waited until I felt ready for my first meal of the day. I thought I was the odd one, something not quite right with me, but now I'm thinking I've been trying to cram breakfast in, when my body didn't need it, and once I'd eaten, it's almost as if my body has turned on eating mode and doesn't know when to stop. I feel that if my brain could be scanned, they'd see something happen after I eat, with my brain saying keep going. Whereas, with the fasting days, I've found it remarkably easy to not start. Its as if my brain/body has non eating mode and eating mode. If I don't start to eat, I don't find it that hard to hold off that starting point, but if I have started to eat, it's so much harder to not keep thinking about food for the rest of the day. So traditional diet plans are torture for me, spending months obsessing about food but having to restrict it.

From an anthropological perspective I sort of see it as when we were hunter gatherers and there was sometimes no food, its best our bodies don't crave it too soon. But when there's food available, and we've seen it, and tasted it and established its safe and good, it's time to eat as much as possible right now as thousands of years we did't know when we'd next have access to food. After a certain time, we do need food, so then we will genuinely crave it (half way through day 2 for me, if I force myself to ignore the peckish type of hunger, and distraction is best then), at which point I suppose we would have gone out to look for our next meal. I don't know if this happened, but I imagine humans got fatter through the late summer, when there was more food available, and lost weight through the winter. But craving food too much in lean times might have caused too much energy to be spend looking for food that wasn't there, so best to let us bulk up when food was plenty, and allow us to lose the fat when food was sparce. Of course I'm not suggesting we yoyo like that, but in my head it makes sense that this might be how we evolved.

I've no idea if this makes sense to anyone else, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else experiences this feeling that once you've had your first meal of the day, especially an early one, its as if your brain is telling you to just go for it and keep eating. Maybe its what I'm eating, rather than when, but even porridge or very seedy wholemeal bread (I make my own, its seriously seedy so as about low GI as bread can be) does this to me. I can't work out if it's the way I inadvertently trained my body and brain over 2 decades of dieting, or if it's really the way my body wants to work.

Of course I wouldn't suggest allowing weight to deliberately pile on in winter, as we have more than enough food all year round, but if I can stick to this eating plan for many years, I'm thinking that I'll be able to forgive myself the few kilos I gain in December when any diet is exceptionally hard. This first year of this diet, it's now only a few days into February and I am all ready back to the same weight as late November. And it's been no harder than before December arrived. That's never happened before.

Hmm, this drifted a bit away from my initial question, does eating kick start something in you that makes you want to eat more? But I suppose it's all related.

This is all one huge experiment, but I'll be delighted if this turns out to be an annual cycle. 10/11 months of good weight maintenance, and one month when I can relax a little when my body is saying - its dark and cold outside, eat, followed by about a month of weight correction just by getting back to what I was doing all year round until late November or so.

Sorry, I promise to not always write such long posts ;)
I'm sure you are right! Lots of people are reporting the same thing and more and more people are turning to eating only once in the evening on fast days and are finding they don't want breakfast the day after a fast. (see my poll on how people distribute their calories on fast days).
Wouldn't it be a bummer if it turns out that the reason so many of us fail time and time again on diets is that they forced us to eat breakfast when our bodies didn't really need or want it.
I find this as well. I do eat breakfast on non fast days but I always seem to become more hungry more quickly then than when on a fast day I don't eat until evening. It is almost as though my eating switch is turned on when I first eat something. I suppose that I hadn't really noticed that before I had fasted. I suppose I had become so used to eating something whenever I felt a rumble that I hadn't noticed?
Isis ;)
Gum168 & Isis, I too have noticed this. On the morning after a fast I am usually (these days) not too bothered about breakfast, but I have my oats+ a bit of granola anyway. Then I quickly get hungry so I have an egg on toast too, which is otherwise not my normal start to the day. I wondered whether it was low protein in my body after the fast day leading to the urgent signal to have an egg (leptin signalling?), but it does seem to be switched on by first having the oats...
I have noticed so much more about the way my appetite works since I started the 5:2. In particular I've learnt the difference between feeling peckish (that I interpreted as hunger in the past) and genuine hunger. I discovered that I don't think I had ever been genuinely hungry in my whole life, until I tried not eating for 2 whole days. It's surprisingly liberating, knowing I can safely ignore low level hunger feelings and I won't faint from low blood sugar. And that's the diet industry that told I would if I didn't keep my blood sugar even. Funny that, what with the amount of money they make from so called "snack bars" and "power snacks".
Interesting observation, thank you Gum168. I (we?) need a word for that feeling that we have always called 'hunger' but is really just 'peckishness' or 'elevensish'?

The one time I tried fasting for 2 days continuous (that is, sticking to 600 cals for 2 days), I did become very hungry the 2nd night and ended up getting up early to eat. I don't know if even that was real 'hunger', but I haven't wanted to repeat the experience.
I am the same, if I eat breakfast at 7 I feel famished by 11!
but since being on the 5:2 I dont eat breaky till nearer lunchtime the day after a fast.
Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm so glad it's not just me. So Where's this research that diet companies always use to tell us that people who have breakfast eat less across a day than those who don't?
If I eat breakfast I find it really stimulates my appetite. Hence the reason I have my 500 calories in the evening when husband and I eat together.
I've never been able to eat breakfast as if I do, two hours later, my blood sugar feels all over the place and I have to eat again. So for me, even after a fast, I don't eat until lunchtime the next day.
I really need my breakfast! I feel sick if I don't have it and the morning after a fast day I am ravenous! It doesn't boost my appetite as far as I can tell.
I think being an ex smoker has a lot to do with it for me. I had a cigarette & coffee breakfast for far too may years so my body just goes 'Food!? At this hour? No chance!'
Then I think it's fine to follow what your body is telling you and to eat. One of things that I like about 5:2 is the way it can be summed up in one sentence. Eat normally on 5 days a week and 25 % of normal on 2 days a week. That's it. The rest is up to you. You experiment until you find what and when to eat that suits you. It's very customisable. I'm not worrying too much about whether or not I have a little milk in my coffee through the day for example so long as my main fluid is water.
I too have found that on a fast day if I eat anything during the day I become ravenous, so I save all my cals for dinnertime.

I'm also finding more and more that I don't want breakfast the next day or in fact if I do have it (if I have a hankering for some particular cereal or porridge) my tummy complains, presumably because I didn't need to eat. If I wait until around midday before eating, it's all fine.

All these years I've eaten because it's 'meal time', even if I'm not hungry. How silly is that?! It all seems so much clearer now!
17 posts Page 1 of 2