The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

25 posts Page 1 of 2
Booze!!
06 Feb 2013, 19:03
Hello,
I had my first fast day yesterday and found it very easy. My question is on your normal days can you have a couple of beers and a glass of wine?
I ask this as I love to unwind with a couple if drinks and this is why normal diets never work for me. Obviously I won't drink alcohol on my fast days.

Many thanks
Re: Booze!!
06 Feb 2013, 19:32
Of course! That's one reason the 5:2 lifestyle is so sustainable! Obviously if you drink a lot you will put your cals on feed days above "normal" so you risk not losing weight. See how you go anyway.

I often have a couple of glasses (or four) of wine at the weekend but not so much during the week as I used to. Was still losing weight last week, but had some friends over on Saturday and downed three bottles of wine between 4 of us as well as eating lasagne followed by chocolate cheesecake, so I won't be surprised if I don't lose any weight this week!
06 Feb 2013, 23:00
Hi Tony

I have not changed my drinking habits since starting this diet. Although I don't drink weekdays and would never have a drink on a fast day. If you promise not to tell my GP/nurse practitioner I'll admit to having a bottle of red to myself last Friday night ;)
07 Feb 2013, 12:39
Thanks very much for your answers. This looks it could be the diet for me. I'm on my second fast day today and I'm looking forward to a couple of beers tomorrow!
07 Feb 2013, 13:12
Yeah Tony, I am in exact same position as you, 2nd fast day and looking forward to some beer on Friday!

What a wonderful diet this is....although having trouble typing as just gnawed my left hand off!
07 Feb 2013, 13:46
Hi Tony,

My husband loves a beer and normally has a session with friends on Friday evenings and Sunday lunchtimes as we live in a little village with a very sociable village pub. He has just completed his first weeks with 2 fasts, still having his beer on fridays, sundays, and also we went out for dinner on Saturday with friends. He has still lost 4lb and like you feels that this is definitely the diet for him and is totally sustainable.
07 Feb 2013, 21:31
Thanks again for the reply's
I have another question, I had my first fast day Tuesday and today is my second. When would be the best time to weigh myself?
08 Feb 2013, 14:30
When you are in the house with no clothes on?
08 Feb 2013, 16:54
Sounds like I done it right this morning then!!! I was amazed to see after two fast days I'd lost 7lbs.
08 Feb 2013, 17:45
Tony77 wrote: Hello,
I had my first fast day yesterday and found it very easy. My question is on your normal days can you have a couple of beers and a glass of wine?
I ask this as I love to unwind with a couple if drinks and this is why normal diets never work for me. Obviously I won't drink alcohol on my fast days.

Many thanks

Hi Tony

I'm another who likes a couple of drinks - and that's the operative word, just a couple - and I even have a small (100g) glass of stout before the meal, and a smaller (50g) glass of wine with it.

Here's a sample fast day meal - bear in mind I save all my calories for the evening meal:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/52-recipes-chilli-non-carne-vegan.html

Goes without saying I have the same (only larger) drinks on my feeding days.

Cheers, ;)

B&W
08 Feb 2013, 17:50
boboff wrote: When you are in the house with no clothes on?

:D yeah in the house is best lol
09 Feb 2013, 13:24
On the fast days the only thing that keeps me going is the thought of wine the next day :D
09 Feb 2013, 14:19
Hi
I was interested to find this thread as I was doing long addition in the night when I couldn't sleep - this has happened more since I started fasting btw. Anyway, I cam to this diet after doing Atkins before Christmas and now started last week. So this was my thinking. What is normal? Before I did the Atkins it was 'normal' for me to have couole of drinks most evenings. Doing Atkins I only drank at weekends. So now we are back to counting calories again, 500 cals twice a week would give a deficit of say, 3000 calories, assuming you would 'normally' eat 2000/day (2 x days @ 500= - 3000). So if you then ate 'normally' plus drank 'normally' I can't see how you can lose weight. Or should we still 'diet' on eating normally days, like, for example, I would never 'normally' eat crisps or chocolat so surely I can't start now? Discuss.
09 Feb 2013, 14:24
Ah this is the same thought train I have had ridinghood.

I think though that you can do it either way really.

The time on the plan will tell you what you need to do, but the "joy" in it is that you can eat what you like on a Feast Day.

To me this means that as an active bloke I can eat 3000 calories and eat like a lord, and it's not enough to put on weight, so the fast days will cause you to loose weight, and the treats mean that you don't get fed up.

Then once into this plan you can up or down your calories intake, your fast days, your exercise, or what ever it is to suit you and your own personal weight loss goals and diary and lifestyle.....

Yeah I know, it's weird, but talking to people who I trust, it does work.

Either way I know that it is good for me to not drink before a fast day or on a fast day, so that gives me 4 days break in a week, which I know is good for me, whether I loose weight or not!
10 Feb 2013, 22:08
Well Boboff, I am surprised that you are the only one to reply. We did 3 bottles of bubbly and a bottle of red last night between 2 of us (I know)!!going to fast tomorrow - will be interesting to see what happens on the old scales lolx
25 posts Page 1 of 2