The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

35 posts Page 2 of 3
Egg yolks from free-range organic-fed chickens are high in omega-3 fatty acids so are actually pretty good for you! Battery chickens' eggs like their meat is full of saturated fat (not so good).

I use yolks to make mayonnaise...a non-baking option, but not low cal!!
My eggs are from my own chickens. I don't give them organic feed (too expensive) but they get good layers pellets, corn, greens and kitchen leftovers. They must be some of the most spoiled chickens on the planet and the eggs are delicious! Not exactly free range due to foxes always being around but we do let them range in the garden when it's safe to. They have a lot more space than a battery hen though and happy lives.
I am a veggie, so experimenting with veggies i where I am at.

My fav so far (so much so I eat it on none fast days too),

1 corgette (40 cals) shredded with a peeler and boiled so its like pasta ribbons.

3 mushrooms, half a yellow pepper, 3 cloves of garlic, half a red onion and a handful of cherry toms roasted with a little spritz of fry like.

Half a tin of chopped toms with plenty of black pepper and garlic powder.

Mix it all together and voila. If I have calories to spare I will add a little of the low low soft cheese with chilli for extra kick. Yummy!
Yum, Cyberella

I am not a veggie but that sounds really great, might just try it

:like:
I eat a lot of egg whites on fast days. I make egg salad with three whites and 1/2 yolk plus 1/2 T of 40 cal a T mayo (20 calories) plus a little celery. I serve it on a bed of spinach leaves wit a squeeze of lemon juice. This comes out to about 117 calories.

Egg whites are a great secret because they are low in calories, low in fat and high in protein. They keep me satisfied for a long time.

I make a "crepe" also with the same 3 whites, 1/2 yolk and a short blast of Pam. I fill it with low cal veggies or berries, or just sprinkle on cinnamon.
I love eggs but find a bowl of porridge (50 g 183 cals) made with water topped with cinnamon and a pot of apple sauce cinnamon lite ( 4oz 50 cals) makes me smile and fills me up for ages! Just had this now for lunch and will have soup for dinner ;)
Puttanesca stuffed Aubergine!!!!!!

So delist, and filling!! Just had it for dinner. You need:

2 medium aubergines
1 red onion
Tuna in springwater
1 can of tomatoes
6 black olives
2 anchovy fillets
Garlic
Chilli

Roast aubergines for an hour, meanwhile sauté anchovy, garlic, onion and chilli
Add olives
Add tomatoes
Reduce mixture to thicken
Cut aubergines in half and scoop out the middle, mix with tomatoes and add the tuna
Fill the Aubergine shells with mixture and pop back in the oven for 15 mins

I serve mine with some rocket or baby spinach and no dressing. Myfitnesspal rates this at about 300 cals per serving (makes 2 serves)
Fajitas without wraps-

My standard and very favorite fast day dinner meal is fajitas without the wrap - eat it at least once a week, sometimes twice. As my skinny husband was loosing too much weight by what he calls "second hand dieting" I found he can have the wraps, add cheese and eat more chicken.

I get the leanest chicken breast I can find, pound it, cut it up into little strips, season with below ingredients, brown in nonstick pan and set aside. Saute up a sweet onion, red and green pepper cut in strips with a dash of olive oil, add the chicken back in, season with chipolte powder, chilli powder, salt, pepper, paprica, whatever your choice and voila, tasty tasty tasty. I weigh out 130 calories of chicken (4oz) top with onions, peppers and top my portion with a tablespoon (26 calories) of sour cream. Little salad on the side or 1/2 cup of strawberries afterwards and I'm completely satisfied. Adds up to just under 300 calories.

Hubby uses his to fill wraps or shells. I found 50cal hard taco shells and sometimes use one of them and eat less chicken, but find I'm usually fine without.

Sometimes I broil a london broil on feast days and reserve some for fast days instead of chicken. Karen
Karen - I love fajitas with crisp chinese leaf leaves for the "wrap" - it adds a really nice crunch and coolness to the spicy mixture.
Hi Karen + door mouse my favorite is simular to yours, Cajun chicken ''George'' cooks it for me beautifully and large plate of mixed salad with everything on it peppers, celery, beetroot and jalapeno's cot into small pieces. :like: deffo for tonight :heart: :heart: Sue
I also have my own chickens, eggs, I feed any scraps back to them also you can cook egg yolks and feed to the chicks. Plus you can add eggs yolks to an omelette on non-fast days if you have them left over. I must admit, I don't limit the amount of eggs I eat as I know what they've been fed on!
When the sweet tooth hits and you just HAVE to have something filling and quick.
In a mug whisk up one egg, 1 teaspoon equivalent of sweetener (or sacrifice 16 kcals for a teaspoon of sugar) add a splash of milk and microwave for 2 minutes, check it and if still raw give it another minute. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes as it gets very hot, then enjoy your very quick egg custard.
The absolute worst it can get with whole egg, sugar and whole milk is about 100kcals. With sweetener and skimmed milk it drops to 65kcals.
NoraBoswell wrote: Probably the best thing to do with them. I've just googled egg yolk recipes and they are all cake/pudding orientated. And you are right, we throw out meat fat, some fruit and veg peel, etc, so why not the odd egg yolk? :wink:

Give them to the dog or cat they are great for their coats xx
Scrambled eggs are one of my fave fast n repair day dinners, simple and quick.
Think that " breaking the fast " meal and cuppa taste divine! Well worth the wait x
Well save the yolks and for weekend feast you can make your own; mayonnaise, sauce Hollandaise or Béarnaise. Yes those sauces are fatty, but a little goes a long way and they taste way much better than store bought ones. Or you can bake your own buns and use the yolks to brush them before baking :)
35 posts Page 2 of 3