The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

46 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: periods....sorry boys
29 Jun 2013, 07:54
My period was late this month but lasted 4 days instead of 5 and was easier, less cramps etc. I started this WOE when I was on my period so didn't notice any difference to start with. My PMS is shorter as well (thankfully!) Hope it settles down for those who are having problems!
05 Jul 2013, 08:47
Have been fasting for nearly 4 months and my last 2 cycles were shorter, I bled at day 21 instead of 28 which is a first for me.
05 Jul 2013, 09:35
Mine became regular again and fewer days. Also less painful.
05 Jul 2013, 09:54
My monthly cycle has been 3-4 days shorter the last two months, which coincides with doing 5:2. Last period also lasted longer :(
05 Jul 2013, 20:56
This is a really interesting thread. I have only been on the 5:2 for 2 weeks but I started a period this week. I have the implant so have them very rarely but it's a full-blown one which is unusual these days. I also had the horrible headache preceding it that I used to have - one of the reasons I got the implant. I thought it was because my pre-teen DD had a period and her hormones dragged me in but now I'm thinking it might be the fasting.

Would love to hear others' experiences. This is something Dr Mosley couldn't have predicted!
05 Jul 2013, 21:27
Since I had an implant put in last November (to help ease heavy bleeding), my periods have been all over the place. The bleeding is light, but there's not much regularity, and they can last for 2 weeks. Frustrating!! Have been doing this WOE now for 2 months, and they seem to be more regular, but lasting for longer.
05 Jul 2013, 21:32
nadiaj wrote: Mine became regular again and fewer days. Also less painful.

mine too they have settled down now btw I'm not on any form of contraceptive, noticed they aren't as heavy or for as long as they used to be :like:
05 Jul 2013, 23:16
Those with really heavy periods that are making your life miserable have a look at TCRE its a medical procedure that cauterises the womb lining and in most cases stops any monthly bleed forever. It can cure anemia problems because you aren't losing so much blood and iron. It is a hospital procedure with a general anesthetic and not for those who may want more kids.
17 Jul 2013, 22:25
Hope this helps,

Fat-loss in women will often cause a fluctuation in hormones - estrogen particularly. Estrogen is often stored in fat cells and when you are losing fat by dieting and/or exercising, that excess estrogen is dumped into your bloodstream which causes a surge before eventually being cleaned up by the kidneys and excreted. We know that an estrogen boost naturally happens at the end of our luteal phase when progesterone decreases and this boost usually informs your body that it is time to shed your uterine lining doesn't it? So this is probably the cause of your break-through bleeding or spotting, and possibly also (this happened to me a few years ago) the cause of an extended period. Mine once continued for a worrying 9 days until I discovered the issue and put a stop to it by shovelling down a bunch of carbs, bringing the weightloss to an abrupt halt.

I would imagine that eventually, things would settle down as your body becomes used to fasting but it might be wise to decrease the fasting to one day so as there isn't such a huge amount of estrogen-rich fat cells being dumped into the bloodstream. It might also be worth trying to eat more phyto-estrogen rich foods which apparently look like estrogen but don't really function like them. I don't know an awful lot about that but y'all could investigate further ..
No apology necessary!
18 Jul 2013, 01:16
Fruit cake wrote: any girls out there noticed a change in their cycles? my perod just suddenly came after only two weeks.(sorry if too much info!) have been fasting 4:3 for 3 weeks now.

Dear Fruit cake

Please don't apologise for talking about periods! Forgive me, but it's a bit like apologising for being a woman.

I've only just come across this thread - and it makes fascinating reading. I'm not surprised that many of you are experiencing less severe symptoms, because this has been mentioned several times on the Mumsnet 5:2 diet threads. But I am surprised by the great variety of symptoms some of you are experiencing.

Hope these are just temporary - this WOL does seem to make most peoples lives better in unexpected ways.

B&W
18 Jul 2013, 02:01
I have been doing 4:3 for about 17 months now. I have noticed my cycles are getting closer and closer together, but maybe a bit lighter and shorter. I have an app to track cycles and symptoms. Whatever day it says I am to start my cycle it consistently comes one or two days earlier. But, I have PCOS and wacky hormones anyway. Before fasting my cycles were always 33-35 days apart and now they are 26-27 days.
01 Aug 2013, 05:44
Hi,

I've been doing this WOL for about 6 weeks now, and am due for my first period since starting the diet. I was thinking great this has helped my PMS, no sore boobs or bloating... but now I think I am pretty much a day before my period and I feel like an emotional wreck. Even had a cry at work. (not good) I feel much worse today than I ever have done.
Previous post is interesting about oestrogen being dumped into the blood stream, could this be a reason for it?? If that's the case things will improve!
I blinken better get my period tomorrow! (Some of you will know the feeling) :curse:
22 Aug 2013, 20:48
Newby here. Just had my first two fasts. Is it harder to fast when having your period? Feeling more faint for example?
22 Aug 2013, 20:56
Have been on this diet for 6 months .. before i was regular like clockwork and now my periods are unpredictable - they come after 3 weeks or some cycles after 4 weeks ... have also faced really bad cramping ...
19 Feb 2014, 17:14
I was wondering if there are more tales to tell over the last 6 months regarding messed up cycles due to fasting? Or are things settling down over time?

I started fasting at the beginning of January and had my period soon after. However, I haven't had one since and it has been a little worrying. I actually took a pregnancy test this morning and it was negative, so that is one less thing to worry about. I have searched the forum for info and it seems fasting and weight loss do affect/disrupt hormone levels. Also I have had a bit of stress about other things and this won't have helped. Plus I'm 42, pushing 43, so may be at that age when things start to slow down.

Anyway, being nearly three weeks late, do you think I should be worrying, or just be more patient as it will settle down in time?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Ta x
46 posts Page 3 of 4