The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

23 posts Page 1 of 2
Now firstly, I would say it's not a snappy title for a pre Christmas thread, but I thought it worth sharing in case, like me, you've never heard of it.
I would say I know little about medical matters, but, after a visit to the surgery today for routine tests, I was told I have a QRISK score of 10%.
Of course, I had to ask what it was and the nurse explained that they use a formula to calculate your risk of cardiac arrest and I've come out of it pretty well.
My cholesterol is low, I'm a non smoker and my BMI is healthy.

Try it for yourselves, but read the blurb accompanying it first.

http://www.qrisk.org/
1.5% whoop whoop! Thanks for sharing this Penny.
I have linked to this site before in a few threads but it's good to highlight it again. Mine was 2.7 which is lower than the average woman of my age...hurrah! And to put this in context, before I started 5:2 my risk was 5.4, so I've halved my risk!!
Thanks Penny mine is 0.8%.
I think I will have to add a bit onto mine as there wasn't a mixed race option and so I had to put other (as usual Lol). I only know my mums health history as my half Jamaican dad hasn't been seen since I was a teenager, he's back in Jamaica now, but still alive and kicking apparently. I don't know if Caribbean mixtures like myself have a high cardiac arrest risk, I suppose that's something for me to investigate!
Thanks Penny!
very happy to report that mine is 1.5 too!! :-)
oh and by the way it calculated my BMI as 23.63 too, even better!! lol
I just realized that the link above is just the heart risk one. if you use this one, it gives diabetes risk too, plus you can see how your risk changes with different interventions, like lowering bp or weight: http://qintervention.org/
Umm...it's not a risk of 'cardiac arrest' - it's a risk of heart disease or stroke in the next 10 years. Not the same thing really.
Btw there are qrisk predictors for all sorts of things - including risk of fracture, kidney disease etc.
Not sure if I'm going to make it until the morning as my cholesterol is high, just tested and I've been doing this WOL for 10 months now and my bmi is just over 22. Dare I risk the diabetes one?
loversghost wrote: Umm...it's not a risk of 'cardiac arrest' - it's a risk of heart disease or stroke in the next 10 years. Not the same thing really.

I quoted the nurse - as I said, I don't know much about medical matters, but thought it of interest. Thanks for pointing that out.
loversghost wrote: Umm...it's not a risk of 'cardiac arrest' - it's a risk of heart disease or stroke in the next 10 years. Not the same thing really.

According to the blurb on the site:
The QRISK®2 calculates your risk of cardiovascular disease (which is a heart attack, stroke or 'mini' stroke) and the QDiabetes® algorithm calculates your risk of Type 2 diabetes.
so it does give heart attack risk plus stroke and also if you use my link, the diabetes risk too.
Mine was 3 in July, and now it's 2.3.
that was fun! Lol. I have a heart age of 55 and I'm 56. A risk of cardiac disease @ 4.2%, relative risk 0.9%. Diabetes 5%. If I get my BMI down to 25 my risk will be 3%. Not a bad result I reckon.
Sorry, don't know how to quote from people's posts but 'cardiac arrest' and 'heart attack' are not the same thing (which is what you seem to be telling me in response to my post). It is possible to have a heart attack which LEADS to cardiac arrest (where the heart physically stops generally because of some rhythm disturbance) but not everyone who suffers a heart attack (an area of damage to the heart muscle, usually (but not always) causing severe chest pain and other symptoms) has this consequence. Also cardiac arrest has other causes - such as a great loss of circulating fluid volume (as an example) so to assume that heart attack/disease and cardiac arrest are the same isn't correct. Qrisk predicts cardiovascular risk, NOT cardiac arrest. Sorry.
ah, but you said it was the risk of heart disease which is definitely not the same as heart attack (or myocardial ischemia; MI). I think that for most people the risk of MI is the most relevant measure rather than heart disease or cardiac arrest.
23 posts Page 1 of 2