The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

140 posts Page 4 of 10
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10 Next
Re: New beginnings
09 Nov 2015, 09:26
Friday's fast went well. I took a little piece of brioche, it was too tempting to resist, but not enough to blow over my fast.

During the weekend I did another pulled pork but not with the same piece of meat. This time it was with a roast, boneless and easier to manage for my slow cooker. It was a bit dry but was way juicier the day after. I let it sit in the juices overnight and boy oh boy that made a difference :shock: With the leftovers, after I gave a bit to all my fury children (and they are 5), I did another quiche without crust but I change my recipe for it. I put 3 egg in the blender with 250 ml of milk, one spoon of cream, 2 of self raising flour, salt and pepper and whiz it all. On the stove I cooked 1 onion and some spinach, enough to let all the water go. In a buttered dish I put the spinach and onion, add the potatoes and the pulled pork leftovers, the eggs mixture and add some cheese on top. I put that in the oven for 35 min (until golden brown) and it was amazing.... The good news is that it freezes well so I have some for the next month :wink:

I also did an apples and pears compote but I found it a bit too runny so I need to work on that.

I enjoy cooking these days. I love too look for recipes inspiration and try to mix up things. I did a cauliflower/blonde lentils soup in my slow cooker by "accident" once and I am looking forward to try it again but not this week, I need to eat some other veg this week (had it on 2 of my fasts last week). I also need to find recipe with oven cooked chickpeas that could be use on a fast day. I tend to not have a lot of proteins and it needs to change.

I didn't feel that excited about fasts and food for quite some time. It's refreshing.
10 Nov 2015, 09:55
I baked a banana bread yesterday after hearing so many good things about it. It's good but I am sorry to say that the consistency is more of a cake than a bread. I don't thing I'll bake one again, which is a shame, really :frown:

My taste still changes. I can't eat things like cakes now, they taste too sweet. I use to be a sweet tooth but now, I can't stand really sweet things. Maybe that's one of the reason why I don't crave all the chocolate christmas things they have in stores right now.... Except mince pies but it's a pure weakness of mine and they can be eaten with some cheddar on the side :razz: oooooohhhh cheddar...... :heart:

Today's lunch will be grilled chicken breast, steamed green beans, quinoa and bulgur (in the rice cooker so without any added fat. BTW I found a very useful book on how to use the rice cooker for other things than rice. Just perfect !
14 Nov 2015, 15:56
After what happened last night in Paris, I am at last fed up with 2015 and want to go in a desert island far far far away where all that nonsense is mute. I am angry, I am worried for a friend of mine I can't reach and I am hurt. More angry than hurt but still. How is it possible ? How all these horrific things keep happening ?

I am sorry, I don't want to spoil this place which has been a safe haven for me this year but the situation is so confusing and terrifying, I needed to put that in words.
14 Nov 2015, 17:42
Oh I don't blame you at all sweetie. This year has been absolutely terrible for you. But the good news is that it's almost over and you can have a fantastic celebration on the 31st to say "Good Riddance" to 2015. You've been through way, way too much this year and it's not fair. *hugs*

Facebook has a new check-in "I'm safe" feature for the fusillade. Perhaps your friend checked in on Facebook or Twitter? I hope they are ok.

Your cooking sounds fantastic. Lentils are one of my favorite cheap eats. I love a lentil salad (either warm or cold) and I love soups of all kinds. But now you're making me crave a nice lentil soup with warm bread.
14 Nov 2015, 20:11
It must be very frightening. I hope you hear from your friend soon Lili x
15 Nov 2015, 12:54
No news of my friend yet. I called, text, emailed, nothing. I hope that it's because of the chaos there is in Paris right now.

I am going and stay to my parents house tonight so no internet, maybe not even a TV which is a good thing, I guess. I am doing a fast today, not by choice, mind you, but because nothing seems to stay inside the body anyway. I will bring with me one of my favourite soup with me, a cauliflower soup, which is cooking right now. We'll see how it will go for tomorrow but if I can't eat, I won't, even if I know what you'll say, it's not good necessarily.
Attentats-a-Paris.jpg
Attentats-a-Paris.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 449 times
15 Nov 2015, 13:02
I hope you hear from your friend soon. I have had news today that all of my friends in Paris are safe which is a great relief.
I'm sure you will be glad when this year is over.
15 Nov 2015, 13:28
@rawkaren Glad your friends are ok. The unknown and the unanswered are the worst right now but no conclusions right now, it's too soon for that.
15 Nov 2015, 15:25
I just learned that someone I knew, not the friend I talked about, someone more like an acquaintance, was killed at the restaurant Friday.
15 Nov 2015, 15:51
Oh my dear, so dreadful. Words can't express how awful but my thoughts are with you, your friends and country. X
15 Nov 2015, 16:17
@Manderley sending you hugs and love, I hope you hear from your friend soon. :heart:
16 Nov 2015, 05:31
Oh no, Manderly, I can't believe how horrible this year has been to you.
16 Nov 2015, 17:30
That's awful Manderly, hope your friend is ok!

A 7 year old in my son's class lost her dad at the concert, it is all just too horrible for words!
16 Nov 2015, 22:16
My daughter's facebook friend, through music, was shot at the concert and is in hospital. It is incredibly sad that we think that she was lucky to have been shot and survived! Manderley, I hope your friend is ok.
17 Nov 2015, 13:23
@Nicky_94 So sorry for that poor little girl and her family lost.... When I see how hard it is for me to have lost my dad at 40 I can't imagine her pain right now.....

@wildmissus Hope she recovers her physical wounds quickly. I imagine the emotional scars will be there for years to come... I saw a doctor on television who said that he was still treating victims of the 95 terror attacks....

My friend was wounded at the concert. It's crazy how Paris seems so small right now. Everybody around me has someone he/she knows who were wounded or killed or knows someone who knows one of the victim. I stopped watching the news, it's just too much right now.

It may sound silly but I decided to cook to keep my mind of nasty thoughts. My friend's partner needs some support and it's a practical one I can give. I am not too good expressing my feelings so it's a way to tell her I am here for her...
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10 Next
140 posts Page 4 of 10