The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

32 posts Page 1 of 3
Delighted and disappointed
02 Jul 2014, 20:26
So the good news - I am down 50 pounds from my all time high weight, and 35 of that is from 5:2. I am down 8 points in my BMI, and I am down to 50% body fat. Sadly, yes, that's down *to* 50%. I was walking 4 to 5 miles a day.

I keep getting lots of compliments, and I've gone from size 22 clothing that was getting tight, to size 16 clothing that is getting loose. I can even wear standard size bras from Victoria's secret now, and all of the clothes in my wardrobe are now from normal stores instead of fat lady stores! :heart:

Buuuuut - my thyroid has gone bad again. I was just diagnosed a week ago, and I think it went bad about 3 weeks ago. I know there are lots of people who wish their thyroid would start going faster, because it sounds like a great way to lose weight. But it's extremely hard on your heart. I vacuumed the stairs today and it felt like I was running a marathon. I'm banned from exercise for another week, then I can start walking slowly, so long as I keep my heartrate down. The medicine will fix the crisis, but I have found the medicine makes it extremely difficult to lose weight. My doctor has agreed to let me get my levels checked every month, so I can take the absolute minimum amount of medication necessary to treat my thryoid.

So I am really hoping I won't be a candidate for the Persistence of Hope award again, but I will be going back to the slow lane for weight loss.
Re: Delighted and disappointed
02 Jul 2014, 20:36
Sorry to hear that Tracie, but hopefully it will be just temporary. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :clover:
02 Jul 2014, 20:40
Tracie, you have done so well, I am in awe of anyone who has kept up this woe for such a long period. I have only done 5 weeks and feel inspired by you and all the others on here who keep motivated.
You should feel very proud of yourself keep at it
xx
02 Jul 2014, 20:43
Thank you so much, both of you.

My endocrinologist wants me to take medication every day for the rest of my life, even if my levels are normal, so this doesn't happen again. Actually, he really, really wants to ablate my thyroid with radioactive iodine and put me on thyroid replacement therapy, but he's kindly letting me stay on antithyroid meds so long as I agree to not stop taking the medication again. :-(

So I hope I can find a balance where I'm not fasting to simply avoid gaining. But I suppose if that's what it comes to, not gaining is still better for my health that what would happen if I weren't fasting.
02 Jul 2014, 20:45
Look after yourself
xxx :heart: xxx
02 Jul 2014, 20:52
A big Woo Hoo to you @Tracieknits - that is fantastic!

Sorry to hear about your health problems though. You are clearly made of tough stuff to be coping with that and losing weight to boot.....big respect!

All the very best for the immediate future health wise - do go easy on yourself please whilst getting back on an even keel xx

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
02 Jul 2014, 20:53
I do hope things work out for you Tracie
02 Jul 2014, 20:57
I think it's brilliant that you've managed to lose so much after such a bad start....but I can't believe your problems are back again.

I hope you are able to get things settled down quite quickly and get a good outcome. Perhaps in the meantime you will be able to keep off the weight you have lost.

I wish you well.
02 Jul 2014, 21:27
Well done on your weight loss, you are a real example of making this a WOL and not a diet fix. Your attitude to your thyroid disorder is positive and I'm sure this will help see you through the difficult bits. Like wildmissus I hope you will be able to maintain in the short term and soon be feeling much better. I have an auto immune thyroid issue too having had 2/3 removed a few year ago and take replacement therapy, I still have difficulties with fluctuating levels due to the bit they left, I can imagine how frustrating it must be when you can't get a stable level. Big hugs x
02 Jul 2014, 21:50
@Tracieknits you have my admiration, you've done so well and I hope you can get back on an even keel again and lose some more weight. xx
02 Jul 2014, 22:15
Here's hoping you manage to maintain at the very least, you have worked so hard and deserve to succeed.
02 Jul 2014, 22:33
Well done @Tracieknits :like:
I know how good losing 50lbs makes you feel and its a bummer to get your problems returning to put a dampener on your achievement, you're a strong woman and you'll find a pathway through this mess. :clover: :clover:
02 Jul 2014, 22:38
As SueQ said what a bummer :cry: But you have done so well so let's hope this is just a small glitch and all will be sorted soon :heart:
02 Jul 2014, 22:45
Thank you all so much for the support!!
02 Jul 2014, 23:10
Hi Tracie. Sorry to hear about this. Whatever happens in future, you are in a better place this year than last, having lost all the weight you have. Something to remember (and celebrate) when the going gets tough.
32 posts Page 1 of 3