The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Just wondering what people think about breakfast before a long run of more than an hour. I'm wondering if it would help my training. I haven't tried it yet & am wondering what sort of thing to eat. Can't imagine eating very much, as running on a full stomach just doesn't appeal!
Tagging my husband, @BruceE so he'll chime in. I think he usually didn't eat before his long run, but then found he did better with a little breakfast in him.
Hi Philippa, I've cut back on my weekly running distance quite a bit so I don't do much more than about 45 minutes on any given run nowadays, but about 6 months ago I was training for a half-marathon and had my long runs on Sundays. For runs longer than about 75 minutes I found I needed to carry water, and something like Vitamin-Water (or Gatorade, or some drink with salt and sugar in it) seemed to work a little bit better.

I typically didn't eat before a run, but one day my wife cooked pancakes for breakfast on a long day and the run went much, much better. I ate a full breakfast (3-4 cakes, total carb fest :smile: ) but didn't run for two hours after I got done eating, so it wasn't on a full stomach.

Longer runs will deplete your reserves and blood sugar, and I find they don't work well with a fast day (or a low-carb diet, if you're trying that combo), so I'd recommend that if you want to do the long runs then you need to accept some compromises to other things you may be trying to do elsewhere. (It's one of the reasons I shifted my running focus from marathon to half-marathon to 10k and now I'm actually looking at optimizing a 5k training schedule.)

The shorter answer to your question is: pancakes, bread, pasta, PB&J... long runs tend to go hand-in-hand with carbs. Eat well, wait at least an hour (two is better), and then go run. Don't run on a full stomach. Bring water with you for 60-90 minute runs, something with electrolyte/sugar replacement for anything longer than 90 minutes.

Find what works for you, though. This is my experience.
Thank you for your advice. I am finally training for a half marathon again. (I have already discovered not to do a long run the day after fasting as I felt terrible! Got some great advice from 'CreakyPete' and others on this forum about that!)

My runs are usually at 6.30am, so may need to change things, as I have no plans to get up any earlier!!!
I usually eat porridge before a 10k race, but for training runs (either an hour of jogging plus interval training or a long run of around 15k for 90 mins) I just eat as normal, breakfast as toast or lunch as normal if I run in the afternoon. I can run the day after a fast no problem, but only after breakfast! When is your half marathon? I'm training for my first in mid April. It will make a change from the 10km ones.
Thank you Franglaise. Half marathon is at the beginning of May.
i'm training for a half marathon at the end of may, this will be my second one. i've found that if i'm running up to about 5k then i'm fine to have eaten beforehand - i do 2 x 5k runs during the week after work so i've usually either had breakfast and lunch during the day, or around 350 cals if it's a fast day and it's fine.

however, i really, really can't eat before a long run of anything over 7k. even if it's been 1hr or more before the run. snack, banana, bowl of porridge or a 5 course meal, it all has the same effect which is after about 45 minutes to an hour i need to poo. so i don't eat anything before a run. i'm just gearing up to 10k+ now and it's going ok on no food, i'll have to start experimenting with energy gels and some nutrient tabs i put in my water to see if they are enough to keep me going.

i say all this as i am determined not to experience what i did on the 1st half marathon i did. i was about 6 miles in and the need to poo hit me. there were ~N~O~ portaloos between miles 5 and 11. it was so horrible i was eyeing up spectators lining the streets to see if they looked like they might let me use their toilets :-S thankfully i made it to the portaloos at mile 11 but OMG it wasn't pleasant.

sorry for the TMI ramble!
Just bumping this up as I have a 10k run tomorrow. It will probably take me 75mins or more. However, as its an intermediate distance I didn't really think I would need to do the carb loading etc. I have been hyper hydrating all day and had a pasta and lean meat dinner. I was planning some porridge with yogurt or eggs and soda bread for breakfast. But I am wondering about it as I usually run early before breakfast. So im not used to running on food. @CreakyPete, @RunningOlsen, @Carorees, @Adfnfuel, you seem to be the resident sports fitness and nutrition experts. Has anyone anything to add to the advice above?
I think for a 10k your hyper hydrating and a usual breakfast will be fine. Don't change things now. Hydration will be important if it's hot tomorrow. Good
Luck @scubachick and enjoy (if not at the time, then when looking back :clover: :grin: )
I agree with AnnieW. Nothing new before a race. Warm up well 15-20 minutes before race start; don't just stand around. Suggest running the first 5K below usual pace to avoid the starting gun excitement, then kick it up for the second 5K as the mood strikes. Have fun!!
I hope the race went well. No carb loading required for a 10k at all, best justbto stick to normal food and routine but definitely do a good warm up. How did you do?
Hi Scubachick - too late to give advice, which would have been to do nothing special, but really want to know how you got on!
I'm curious, too.

I always eat a banana before 10Ks.
Hope the run went well @scubachick?!
@RunningOlsen, @maryann, @CreakyPete, @franglaise, @Adfnfuel, @anniew, thanks for all the good wishes and advice. :heart:
I had great fun on the run and managed to finish it in 60mins. It was a really hot windless day (77○f/25○c), something us Celts are not used to! But I managed to avoid sunburn, heat stroke , dehydration and insect bites. There were many victims and the first aiders were kept busy! I kept pace with a stranger going a little faster than I would have gone myself. By the last 3kms we were best buddies and cheering each other along :grin: Just gently aching upper leg muscles today and a carb craving that wont go, but no other complaints.

Getting back to the original topic: I had porridge with yogurt and 3 pints of water 2 hours before the run. I had a small coffee about an hour before. (Tmi, but that got the bowels going before the race, so I didnt have to worry about that!)

I have been busy looking up other 10k runs in my area...hmm, 2nd July, I think. :like:
19 posts Page 1 of 2