The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

44 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: FITBIT Chat for April '15
19 Apr 2015, 10:51
I waved at you today @GMH when I was up at Barrenjoey lighthouse at Palm Beach. I am sure I could see you and you neighbour (and the dogs) walking on the beach!
21 Apr 2015, 16:47
Does anyone have any experience of the Fitbit Charge HR?
I have a birthday coming up and I'm thinking of asking Santa Birthday for one to replace my One.
Any comments welcome. Thanks :grin:
22 Apr 2015, 09:34
Well quite frankly I think I deserve a medal not a badge! Yesterday did little, no power since 4am (still no electricity 40 hours later), no trains or buses to Sydney, so no work, sheeting rain, gale force winds, 200,000 homes without power. Today I went in, storms were unbelievable, in 5 mins at the first dog park we got hammered, next thing the whole street is under water!!!! And my van has water up to the doors. I jumped in and backed it into a driveway, loaded dogs then had to drive down the footpath!!?!not to get swept away in flood waters. By this time I was soaked water was higher than my wellies, I was driving with water up to the brake peddles, OMG. Next park was half under water like a lake, the dogs wee all swimming and rolling in mud! I left at 6am, home at 6pm, then had to walk mine. Still raining, still no power, lits of soaked clothes, dishwasher full. Life wasn't meant to be this hard!
22 Apr 2015, 13:35
@GMH I hope you're all ok. The storms sound awful.
@SianS I wish I could help. The surge is fantastico. The charge is a lot smaller and Prob as robust as the flex. The HR tracker is also brilliant. I'd go for it. Are there any pretty colours out yet.
But the surge has GPS so you can track your runs....... Just saying
22 Apr 2015, 15:07
Wow GMH! I hope you guys are ok!
22 Apr 2015, 20:28
Thanks @carieoates, I managed to try a Charge HR on in John Lewis today, lots of reviews warn that the small wristband is tiny. I have established that the large fits fine, it is only available in black at the moment, they haven't even started shipping other colours in the US yet. Only problem - out of stock in JL :frown:
Oh, and I use phone for GPS (Map My Run) and music.
25 Apr 2015, 19:27
Well hoping to get back to normal after the week from hell. Monday storms and torrential rain, worked in this and managed 17,500 steps. Tuesday 4am electricity goes out. No trains, no buses no work, storms all day. Wednesday get train in rain, to Sydney to walk 21 dogs...which shrunk to 13 by the time I got there. Parked van outside a dog park and the next thing a storm/flash flood hit me! Van has water up to and into doors! Got it out with water slopping everywhere while I was driving. Soaked to the skin, water in wellies, madness. Thursday weather a bit better. Get train in, van won't start, computer ruined by water, so no work, paid huge $ to get an fixed cos insurance too slow...I need my can to work. Oh and by the way this was day 3 no power at home. :cry: Friday 5pm we got electricity back. So nowhere near my usual walking. The area where I live was declared a natural disaster zone. The sound of dishwasher and wash machine are music to my ears! The hardest thing was trying to keep phone/tablet charged. More rain predicted this week, but not the days of storms and lashing winds.
28 Apr 2015, 21:04
What do we think about the sleep functionality on Fitbit Surge? I set mine to sensitive and quite worried that my sleep count is 4 hours 15 mins average. I'm in bed for 7.5 hours, but my sleep efficiency is 59%. Feeling exhausted if I'm honest although travelling alot so naturally it's always strange. Be interested in others experiences.
01 May 2015, 14:56
I am hoping to sneak into this tent as yesterday my 'Mi Band' arrived. It is a poor woman's version of 'Fitbit' but so far it does what it says on the label. I only wanted to record my steps, I know, I know, a pedometer would have done that just as well but I also wanted to monitor my sleep patterns. I have set my daily target at 10,000 steps and I can record daily, weekly and yearly averages. It also will allow me to collect weight dat but I am not interested in that as I am happy with my weight but it does tell me how many calories and gms of fat I have burned and again this is not the issue for me but interesting nevertheless. I can use it as an alarm and it will also vibrate when I have an incoming phone call. Not sure if it has a heart monitoring facility but I have no need of that even if it does. It cost me the princely sum of £14.99 with free delivery so I am sure that the more expensive 'Fitbit' has a lot more functions but I doubt I would use them anyway. Does anyone else on her have one of these lovely little Mi Bands? If so, how are you getting on and is there anything I should know. Thank you all for listening and hope to see you back here soon. Just off now to finish my steps for the day, almost there,

Ballerina x :heart:
01 May 2015, 17:27
rawkaren wrote: What do we think about the sleep functionality on Fitbit Surge? I set mine to sensitive and quite worried that my sleep count is 4 hours 15 mins average. I'm in bed for 7.5 hours, but my sleep efficiency is 59%. Feeling exhausted if I'm honest although travelling alot so naturally it's always strange. Be interested in others experiences.

If you look back I posted a pic of my sleep pattern. Sensitive and normal. I am now back onto the Normal one as I felt that the sensitive one was not a true representation of my sleep at all. The only thing which waked me is being too hot as I now wear ear plugs to stop the hubs snoring keeping me awake.
Hope that helps and @Ballerina you are welcome to join us here but we have a private league table on the Fitbit.com site if you ever upgrade to a proper one. :oops:
01 May 2015, 17:38
@Ballerina you're here! Lovely to see you again. Please let us know how many steps you are doing. (I apologise if you have been here all along and I haven't seen you) x
01 May 2015, 19:26
Ballerina wrote: I am hoping to sneak into this tent as yesterday my 'Mi Band' arrived. It is a poor woman's version of 'Fitbit' but so far it does what it says on the label. I only wanted to record my steps, I know, I know, a pedometer would have done that just as well but I also wanted to monitor my sleep patterns. I have set my daily target at 10,000 steps and I can record daily, weekly and yearly averages. It also will allow me to collect weight dat but I am not interested in that as I am happy with my weight but it does tell me how many calories and gms of fat I have burned and again this is not the issue for me but interesting nevertheless. I can use it as an alarm and it will also vibrate when I have an incoming phone call. Not sure if it has a heart monitoring facility but I have no need of that even if it does. It cost me the princely sum of £14.99 with free delivery so I am sure that the more expensive 'Fitbit' has a lot more functions but I doubt I would use them anyway. Does anyone else on her have one of these lovely little Mi Bands? If so, how are you getting on and is there anything I should know. Thank you all for listening and hope to see you back here soon. Just off now to finish my steps for the day, almost there,

Hi, @Ballerina, found out I can order one here in the U.S. from Amazon. Just one question, tho, as we are NOT high-tech in our house - can we use the tracker on our regular P.C. as we don't have a fancy phone to download apps etc. !!!! Or, does it only work with an Iphone-type device????
02 May 2015, 08:27
Good morning ladies and hello @SianS I have been around but not posting much, like most long term maintainers I just seem to lurk and burst forth from the undergrowth now and again. I suppose there is only so much one can say about personal stories without becoming boring through repetition. I do, however read through the topics and comments on a daily basis so I'm not surprised you've not seen me. Nice to catch up with old friends like yourself thought, this is the beauty of this forum. In answer to your question, I have set up my new best friend to 10,000 steps because I walk a lot and have used hubs phone, he has the next best version to mine because I get his leftovers when he upgrades, to gauge approximately how many steps my morning route to the shops and back are and they come in at over 7.000 so I thought it would be an easily achievable target. My first day saw me do 17,000 and yesterday, day 2, I did almost 16,000 so I am quite happy with that. It takes me 30 minutes to walk downhill to our local Co-op and then 30 minutes back up the hill with a backpack load so I feel I am getting the days off to a good start with that, then there is the pub to walk to, gosh life is hard is it not? How are you getting on with your running? the last photograph I saw which you published was a very sleek and well dressed Sian so I'm assuming you are maintaining well, hope so. I see you started a May thread so see you all over there.

Hi@Carieoates thanks for the information, not sure if I am competitive enough but it sounds good fun and I may work up to it, perhaps. So far, I am having fun finding out what this little gizmo does and does not do, so far, it nags me to get up and if I ignore it it nags me every 10 minutes till I oblige, not sure if this house is big enough for two nags.........sigh!

Good morning @lovemyparrot sorry for the delay in answering your question re Mi Band ( not worked out yet whether it is pronounced My or Me but I use 'My' ) but I was late home last night and, personally, I had no idea but I knew a man who was snoring loudly that would know the answer for you so this morning he has been set his homework and his answer seems to be that it is possible, he thinks, to sync it to your P.C. But you need to have Bluetooth to enable this. It seems it is possible to have some sort of box thing to allow Bluetooth if you don't already have it. he says that in theory the short answer is YES but you will need some extra technical equipment. I hope this helps you and I have to say that so far, I know it is early days for me, but I am very pleased with my new best friend. I am sure the more expensive makes are much more sophisticated and can sing, dance and cook a full roast dinner whilst you naval gaze but simple always works for me ( oops, should not talk about him indoors like this ). There is a web site http://www.mi.com but the treasured one says not to bother as it tells you nothing, Amazon, where I got mine from is a good source though. Good luck with all this.

02 May 2015, 17:13
Blimey O Riley Bal. I'm only on 13,000 steps a day, well done you.
44 posts Page 3 of 3