The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

45 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: FitBit Chat for December
13 Dec 2013, 18:50
Hi Umleila,
I wondered where you were, but could see you were racking up your steps :smile:

The 18 days remaining refers to the time to the end of the month, which means you must be looking at a December snapshot.

If you click on Community on your Dashboard you now get a few options rather than taking you straight to your Groups, so I think that's what they meant
13 Dec 2013, 19:23
D'oh! Thank you SianS I feel a bit stupid now about not realizing that was relating to the date! I still can't find the announcement about the changes but will try and look on a pc later rather than on my phone :)
13 Dec 2013, 22:39
Hello I'm still there guys. Dropped to the bottom of the leaderboard. You can imagine how frustrating that is for me. I have without realising upped my steps to just below 2k. That's not bad 9 days after major surgery. I. Not even bothered about it at the moment as I have forever to get back with it when I'm allowed. Good luck everyone in fitbit land.
14 Dec 2013, 06:08
That's bloody brilliant so soon after your surgery Carieoates. Of course the main thing is to concentrate on your recuperation though. Sending you lots of get well wishes ((()))
14 Dec 2013, 08:50
That's pottering around the house. Haven't put my outdoor shoes on since getting home last Friday. I have got my hubs a fitbit for Xmas. This should be interesting.
14 Dec 2013, 21:46
Since part 2 of my Improvement Plan is fast approaching - to increase my exercise - I'm thinking about getting a FitBit. Never used one, nor talked to anyone who does. So I'd appreciate advice as to which model I should invest in. The more expensive ones are still not that much, so I think that cost is not a factor. It seems from looking at the website that none of them will keep track of my biking mileage. True? And will all of them talk to an iPhone?

Thanks!
Wendy
14 Dec 2013, 22:44
I cannot comment on cycling but I use my fitness pal alongside the fitbit to adjust my activity manually. It syncs very well with many apps used by runners incl run keeper, C25K etc. MFP does have running on it so it's so that'll cover it. I have the fitbit one and love it to bits, the wristband versions are very nice looking, but apparently have issues with logging steps when typing, and the strap can be problematic, But you'll have to confirm that with someone who has one. In my opinion I would go for the one, then maybe upgrade if it "becomes your thing" it does monitor sleep if you want. It clips onto your clothing easily, battery lasts forever and it syncs with iPhone 4S upwards and ipad when Bluetooth is on. Also the customer service is brilliant apparently, when things go wrong they are very efficient and generous. There have been several threads on here about fitbits, they might enlighten a bit more. Hope this helps.
15 Dec 2013, 00:29
Love my fitbit One. You can manually log cycling, driving and various other activities. It also logs stairs/hills/ramps climbed which increases your calorie burn.
16 Dec 2013, 04:38
My fitbit flex doesn't pick up much when I cycle. It shows me as just moving around, not very active. Skating shows up more, as moderate activity (even when I skate fast ourdoors it doesn't get to very active). I've never thought to try and add them in through MyfitnessPal or similar, wonder if it would work?

I love my flex, it's perfect for me, I just strap it onto my wrist and leave it until I get an email after 5 days reminding me to recharge (which I do overnight but it only takes an hour or two). It syncs in with my phone and computer, so I can always admire all those wonderful graphs (haha few months in and I'm still obsessed with it!) People who have One's all seem to love them too, so I don't think you can go wrong whichever option you go with.
16 Dec 2013, 05:13
You can add activities on the fitbit page, if you are on the dashboard then click on logs then activities, scroll down a bit and there is a place to add activities and on the right to save as favorites. I usually end up adding driving which subtracts all the false steps and floors I get when I drive to my Mom's 70 miles away. :)
16 Dec 2013, 05:22
Thank you all! I was trying to figure out how it could burn many calories to drive a car, so thanks for clarifying, Betsy :smile:
16 Dec 2013, 18:11
I have a question about Stride Length - I don't remember it being something you could set when I got my original Zip, but I have been poking about in Settings since I got my One and can see the option to alter it.

So my question is - have people set theirs? what method did they use to measure their walking and running strides? and did it make a significant difference to their results? (in other words was it worth the effort?)

Thanks in advance :smile:

(Oh and another question what is a good Floor target?)
16 Dec 2013, 18:34
For stride length, I measured several times as I walked across the kitchen floor to get a cup of coffee and set it to the average length and YES it did make a difference in my distance traveled.
16 Dec 2013, 18:53
Ooh must set my stride length thanks Betsy. Sian I set my floors at a low figure of 10 as I was not looking to increase my activity level by climbing flights of stairs, Some do however. Hope you don't get fitbit one boob blister! Btw.
16 Dec 2013, 19:17
Oh Caroline the boob blister - I don't have one (yet) but I must say I find the One less comfortable to wear than my Zip. Does anyone have any ways to make it more comfortable?
45 posts Page 2 of 3