The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

45 posts Page 1 of 3
FitBit Chat for December
02 Dec 2013, 05:15
Hello everyone! Another very busy month that is going to present challenges to many of us to "feed our fitbits".

I have a half marathon coming up this next Saturday and sure wish I had a few more miles under my belt and shoes. I really need to have my head examined for signing up for this race this year with the way Thanksgiving came so late in the month...really shortened the Christmas holiday preparation period.

I noticed something funny last night when I checked our group. There were only about 9 members showing. Well it was because December had only started for 9 so far...it was very unusual looking. But what it means it when some of us are logging our steps one day, many of you are already knocking them out for tomorrow:)

Good luck to everyone this month and maybe the group will expand next month when a few receive a Fitbit for Christmas...
Re: FitBit Chat for December
02 Dec 2013, 06:17
Hahaha, yes, I managed to be No 1 on the leaderboard for a while there before the rest of the world caught up!
03 Dec 2013, 16:32
Ha ha I hope you took a pic Katamac. I am about to plummet is down to the bottom of the leaderboard. The best I've reached is 5th which was amazing and inspirational for me. Not sure if I will take it off for a few days or keep it running to see just how inactive I become and conversely how I build it up over time.
03 Dec 2013, 21:14
Well, I never did re-join the group after I somehow unlisted myself by mistake on my tablet. I may just wait until spring because I am in yoga mode over the winter months anyway. If I am lucky, I get to 5000 steps a few days a week because yoga doesn't use many steps. :neutral: But, I get a lot out of it and feel more toned and balanced; so it's all good. Anyway, I got an email yesterday congratulating me on 2,000 life time miles. Not too bad I guess...it averages out to more than 100 miles per month (over 3 miles per day) even when you include the winter months when I didn't walk much. :smile:
04 Dec 2013, 00:48
Good luck with your half marathon Linda x
05 Dec 2013, 04:23
Thank you Candace! I'm bummed to report we decided not to travel to Memphis due to weather. Normal ambient temp this time of year is 57 degrees...well an ice/snow storm is inbound with a high of 28 expected. Decided icy roads and my old knees not a great combination. Pretty bummed as this was my first half marathon at this much lower weight.

Next one scheduled for April...contemplating my first marathon:D
05 Dec 2013, 05:44
Bummer about the half; Golinda. That ice storm is headed our way, too. My OH has a race this weekend (he has a part-time gig chip timing and sometimes, like Saturday he is a ref or official.) I asked him earlier and this bike race is definitely on for any weather. Can you imagine trying to ride bikes on a trail after an ice storm?! No thanks!
07 Dec 2013, 17:47
I can imagine you are gutted Linda. All good things come to he who waits....as they say. My friend has just got into the London marathon, she's been trying for 4 years.
11 Dec 2013, 14:33
Hello Fitbitters,
I have been managing to get to more than my target 10k steps in despite a problem with my hamstring/bum/thigh stopping me from running. I'm seeing the physio again this afternoon and hoping she can pin down what's wrong with it. Last Friday my Fitbit refused to wake up, which I didn't realise immediately, and I lost several hours of activity before restarting it by taking the battery out. At this point I decided that the bit of sellotape holding the battery compartment on was a solution whose time was running out, so I bid for a Fitbit One on ebay and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive. More things to measure !
11 Dec 2013, 15:41
Hi there! I see the Fitbit site has a post up that the "Community" section will change and have new features on the forums. Wonder if that will affect the Leaderboard in any way?

I need to log some more time in the gym. My ortho has me off running due to a hip thing, so I'm trying to mix things up doing lots of intervals on the bike and elliptical. Sigh. Also need to maximize the rare warm winter days and head out for some long walks.

Happy fit Dec all!
(PS - I'm "Michann" on the Fitbit site)
11 Dec 2013, 20:32
I've just upgraded my phone to the samsung note 3 which has a built in pedometer. Tried it today, and did 11.5k steps. Hurrah! Not sure how to keep my phone on me all the time though - a pocket seems a bit dangerous for the screen. So today's count excludes some of the walking round the house.
11 Dec 2013, 21:29
I used the pedometer on my ipod nano for years before I got my flex, and it counts fine, but yes, a lot went uncounted because I often wouldn't have it on me. I didn't realise how many other steps I did until I got the flex.
12 Dec 2013, 13:27
I would be a bit cautious about having a cell phone on my body all day long. There are some who aren't quite convinced that it's safe, including the WHO. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs193/en/
13 Dec 2013, 07:04
Along the same line of thinking...I guess there was something on a recent episode of Dr Oz about not putting your cell phone inside your bra because it can cause breast cancer. I didn't watch it; but had heard about it before that show. But, I have to wonder what impact wearing a Fitbit in your bra could have, too. Some of the things inside cell phones are also in a Fitbit and who knows whether it is the battery, the accelerometer, the radiowaves or whatever electromagnetic field that is actually the carcinogen. :bugeyes: Makes me a little worried about having worn this thing in my bra for more than 19 months now.
13 Dec 2013, 17:29
Hi everyone,

I've not been on for a while but pop in now and again mainly to read on here to see how you all are and to update my stats.

I noticed that fitfunk said something about a change on fitbit community. I can't find that link but I can see under the group stats it says 18 days remaining. Is that related to the changes? Can anyone please link me to the notice and let me know if I need to do anything as I started our lovely group.

Glad you' re on the mend Sians and GoLinda I'm sure you'll get another chance to participate in the near future.

Happy December to you all x
45 posts Page 1 of 3