The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

46 posts Page 1 of 4
FITBIT chat For July
01 Jul 2014, 21:25
Hi there fellow Fitbitters.
And a warm welcome to all of our the newbies.
In the UK we are experiencing warmer weather and nice evenings, with holiday season upon us we may be getting more steps in maybe not.

So here's my cheeky little Fitbit leaderboard upload. I don't see this very often I can tell you.
image.jpg
Re: FITBIT chat For July
01 Jul 2014, 22:36
Your challenge @Carieoates is to stay in that position!
Mine is to average 10,000 steps per day, and 30 active minutes. My June results were a bit dismal, but the slate is wiped clean, and we're off again!
02 Jul 2014, 02:05
Haha it's always nice to hit that number one spot isn't it? I've only ever done if for a few hours near the beginning of a month, and even that is just because so many of you are still in yesterday!

We're in FREEZING cold in Queensland, coldest winter we've had for a while (which hurts even more than usual because until a month ago the weather sites were all saying it was probably going to be a mild winter, so I haven't made any "go to Pacific Island to defrost" plans). So I'm battling to walk in the early morning and late arvo. The days are sunny - still cold but sunny - but I'm just really happy that I can use World Cup as an excuse to not venture outside until after 8am (and with all the games going into extra time, it delays it even more :bugeyes: )
02 Jul 2014, 03:46
Well Bruce and I are low in the rankings right now, for very different reasons.

Bruce is in Australia, finishing up an insanely overbooked two week business trip. 13 flights in 14 days!!!

I have been sick :-( First, my seasonal allergies hit me like a ton of bricks, because our three pollen seasons overlapped in early June (trees, weeds, and grass). This is because of our absurdly cold winter.

Then, my seasonal allergies made my autoimmune thyroid disorder go crazy again. I started getting bad heart palpitations and simply walking up the stairs would make my heart race like I was running a marathon. Pretty scary :-( So I have had to go back on the Methamizole, which is a huge bummer. That's the medication that was preventing me from losing weight last year. My doc has agreed I can have blood tests every four weeks now, which means that my medication dosage should be more fluid and hopefully I won't be feeling overmedicated this time.

Sigh.

He thinks my heart symptoms should start to fade in another week or two and I'll probably be cleared to full exercise by August. But so long as my heart is beating too hard, he wants me to not do too much.
02 Jul 2014, 07:32
Oh Tracie, that sounds horrible for you :frown: Hope that the more regular blood tests help, and that your heart is happier. And that is a lot of flying in a fortnight. Wow! Not much chance for walking.
02 Jul 2014, 13:15
Aw thank you. Well he missed the first flight to New Zealand, which means he is missing the meeting right now - but it also takes two flights off his schedule and he may get to exercise and/or sightsee in Sydney.
02 Jul 2014, 22:12
Sydney is a great city to walk around, and I think they're having nicer weather than we are (in Queensland) so maybe it was a good flight to miss!
03 Jul 2014, 00:51
To be honest, I'm pretty glad he missed those flights! I hear NZ is gorgeous, but the fewer flights the better, I always say.

It's his second trip to Australia, but he'd never been to Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide before. The last time was Perth and Tasmania (he was in the Navy and his ship stopped there). He's been enjoying himself, although he says it's rainier and colder than he really packed for. Oops. The GE office there has a lovely view of Sydney Harbor.
03 Jul 2014, 01:43
Hi all,
June ended dismally but hoping July is an improvement. I spend a lot of time sitting in the office these days which I never did in my last job so I am determined to get my activity up a bit more, albeit on the treddy or cross trainer this month.
Walked for hours around the shopping centre yesterday buying stuff for our new abode, 8000!!! That was deliberate mind you! Hoping for better this month.
03 Jul 2014, 06:19
On the French news yesterday they featured an item on the US where some offices have introduced a stand up instead of sit down way of working. Not sure how easy it is but it would be so much better for our health. When I'm teaching I sit down and really notice the difference in steps compared to when I'm at home working for my gite business, where I'm usually always on my feet (even ironing!)
03 Jul 2014, 21:15
I have to post because I'm so excited and my moment won't last long.
I'm one place behind @Annscotlass in active minutes! I don't know who she is (hello!), but in this household we frequently talk about her, as we still can't imagine how anyone does that much exercise. I know others frequent the top places too, but it is her name that has stuck in our minds! So one place behind, albeit briefly, is SWEET!
04 Jul 2014, 01:00
Haha, well done! :like:

It's tight in the top 10 at the start of this month. I went to bed at number 1, was at 7 when I woke up, and now back up to 3 after a walk.
04 Jul 2014, 01:05
Franglaise, I have a standing up desk, and much prefer it. My ultimate would be to have a slow treadmill. You can buy ones specially made to go for 10-12 hours a day at a slow 2-3kms/hour. This would be better than standing (if you don't stand with good posture, you can wind up with hip/leg muscles which get sore from uneven weight distribution or straining from standing too long in one position). I'm graphic designer, so I need really good mouse/tablet control with a steady hand, and from my experimenting with a wobble board and moving weight leg to leg, I reckon it would work well. Already with a stand up desk, I find I'm more productive (I've had it maybe a couple of years now?)
04 Jul 2014, 02:22
Yay Annurca!!

Franglais - I would love to hear about your gite sometime. I keep telling my husband that when he retires we should do that in France :-)
04 Jul 2014, 13:10
Hi all, I feel I'm getting to know who's who on the fitbit group now. Kat ... You are the one I'm always trying to keep up with, and I realised that you must be somewhere down under unless you get up REALLY early ! Feeling all smug as I have made it to the top of the leaderboard.....temporarily I'm sure, as everyone is really close. Have I missed a day off ? I had a bit of a debacle with the electric fence this morning after the pigs decided to go walkabout, it's amazing how fast they can move their bulk when they want to get to the fresh grass ! So that pig chasing has helped my activity today. Tracieknits, I really feel for you, it sounds like nature is working against you. I wish you a speedy recovery. I've also started the couch to 5k, to increase my activity, though I'm not sure I'll keep that up, but I'll give it a go. I've managed to complete week 1 ! Anyway, I'll try to keep my place, so that should motivate you all ... good luck to you all. Got to go and pick little hairy seeds off the dog, she's been hunting in the bushes again. :smile:
46 posts Page 1 of 4