The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

39 posts Page 2 of 3
Carie, have you checked out the "Couch to 5k" thread? Lots of tips in there for beginners.
Hi Carrie,

The "are there any runners here?" thread is a good place for running chat.
Couch to 5k is great if you are starting from scratch, if not you might want to start a few weeks in.
You can apply it to the treadmill, or you could just start at brisk walking pace then increase till you are jogging comfortably. Start off with 5 minutes then slow to a walk and see how you feel.
Alternatively if the weather is nice and you have an established 5km route, you could try jogging some bits.
Don't forget to warm up and to stretch, though looking at the rest of your schedule you know that already. The physio has told me I can start running again at the end of the week YAY
Betsysgr8 wrote: Carie, have you checked out the "Couch to 5k" thread? Lots of tips in there for beginners.

Thankyou both. So glad you are able to soon run again Sian? Well now I have a plan. Lets see how I go. I have a coupe of months before I have a hysterectomy so am now focusing on being as trim and fit as I can be.
The physio has said I can start running again at the weekend, but gently and no hills so I'm going to miss parkrun on Saturday as that has a hill at the end and being in a group makes me run faster. I can't wait but I'm a little apprehensive tbh. :smile:
Welcome to the club carieoates :) and good luck dusting off all the equipment. I can't advise on the running, but I'm sure others will. Congrats too to tbreweton being the biggest loser this month :like: 43tweaker I broke my longest streak too but I'm determined to go for another long stretch of meeting my goals. Einatlb watch out! I'm coming for you :razz:

Here are my weekly stats...

TOTAL STEPS
115,018 DAILY AVERAGE
16,431 steps
BEST DAY
25,166 steps
TOTAL DISTANCE
52.34 miles DAILY AVERAGE
7.48 miles
BEST DAY
11.32 miles
TOTAL FLOORS CLIMBED
269 DAILY AVERAGE
38 floors
BEST DAY
55 floors
TOTAL CALS BURNED
14,545 DAILY AVERAGE
2,078 cals
BEST DAY
2,346 cals
WEIGHT CHANGE
0 st 0.1 lb LIGHTEST
0 st 8.4 lb
HEAVIEST
0 st 8.6 lb
GRRRRRR...my fitbit has been in my dressing gown pocket all day. This time yesterday I had clocked up about 7k steps. What a shame
With regards to running, I am starting the couch to 5k tomorrow as my garage is currently full of late teenage boys playing with bits of my sons car! And the treadmill is being used as a workbench. Kids who'd have them Ey!!

Edit...
Just completed week one Day one...WOOP WOOP. It was ok, think i missed a walk minute as i dropped my phone and it landed next to a fresh cow pat. Need to find my iPod carrier. Hope I can still do my regular aerobics class at 7 tonight.
image.jpg

This is what happens when you leave your fitbit in your dressing gown, get home from work then go for 5k training week 1 day 1. Hilarious.
3 days in and I can tell it's addictive. My phone battery is running low, cos I'm checking my stats so often. I dragged a friend to the local track, so I could measure my stride and bored her for an hour as I counted steps over 100m about 30 times (kept losing count...). I did input the new stride length, but it actually increased the distance I was travelling and was definitely an overestimate, so I've gone back to the default. Tomorrow will be my first day stuck in a chair in front of a computer (and at home, near the biscuits too), so I wonder how I will do. I'll be running laps of the kitchen if I don't get to 5k by lunch.

Can someone tell me how and when to enter the weekly stats? I won't get anywhere near 25k steps, but can feel the urge to get on that board.

As for sleep...it's as dreadful as I expected so far and I'm actually relieved. It means I haven't been moaning for nothing. I have a fitbit one, wear it on my wrist and have put it on sensitive. Does anyone know what the norms are (if any) for sleeping?
Hi Hourglass. I have a One too but I don't do sleep. I guess I'm to scared to see the results. In regard to your other question, there is no need to enter the weekly stats they are updated automatically. You may be in the next page if you are rated below 25 but I'm sure you will climb up soon :smile:
Carieoats, good luck with running. My advice is to take it easy and not to progress too fast. You may feel like you want to increase the pace or the distance and do more than the 5k plan suggests, don't! because you may hurt yourself.
Umleila, I will be waiting for you patiently :smile:

These are my stats for last week:

Hi Einat B., here are your weekly stats.
9/02/2013 to 9/08/2013
WEEK'S MOST ACTIVE DAY
Sat, Sep 7 WEEK'S LEAST ACTIVE DAY
Sun, Sep 8
TOTAL STEPS
166,145 DAILY AVERAGE
23,735 steps
BEST DAY
31,631 steps
TOTAL DISTANCE
123.54 km DAILY AVERAGE
17.65 km
BEST DAY
22.81 km
TOTAL FLOORS CLIMBED
216 DAILY AVERAGE
31 floors
BEST DAY
45 floors
TOTAL CALS BURNED
16,175 DAILY AVERAGE
2,311 cals
Hourglass, you made me chuckle at saying it is addictive...it so is! You may want to try wearing your Fitbit on your bra, that's wear they recommend for women, it may measure your steps better. Several of us wear are to bed as well, just clip it on my sleep apparel.

Make a deal with yourself when working at home. If you go to the restroom or desire something to eat, first you go out the front door, around your house and back...each and every time. It will add up.
GoLinda wrote:
Make a deal with yourself when working at home. If you go to the restroom or desire something to eat, first you go out the front door, around your house and back...each and every time. It will add up.

AND, if you are watching TV you get to steppin at every commercial break. At least all the commercials; but, sometimes I put on a movie and do Leslie Sansone walking steps through the whole thing.
My deal is every time I go to the loo, I go to the upstairs one instead of down and sometimes I've been known to walk up and downstairs twice!

Hourglass I've just looked at the fitbit group and can't seem to find you on there. What is your fitbit username?

I'm very happy today because I've lost two pounds this week and because I measured my thighs this morning after not measuring for two months and they have shrunk by half an inch each in that time. It might not seem much but my saddlebags are slowly disappearing and I'm sure that's thanks to the fitbit and especially the stair climbing :) since first measuring they have shrunk 3 inches.

I've never measured my stride but I have counted as I step and the fitbit is very accurate for me at least.

Happy stepping today everyone :)
Hi All - I think I'm in the rankings as Gill W. Not sure how to change that...
Ooooh! I'm 16th :)))

Will plunge down the table today though, while I sit here doing data entry (yawn)....and I'm not even being paid!

Am escaping the house tonight and think I might get off the tube early and walk to the pub. Plus, of course, there are all those trips from the table to the bar and back, but will it get me from 1,637 to 10,000???
39 posts Page 2 of 3