The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

133 posts Page 7 of 9
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Finished the challenge on 30th April @spanner. Still planking but for varying times and styles now.

@minsmum I find the right hand side easier - I'm right-handed so maybe it's the strongest side?

Am continuing the little black dress challenge. Day 10 today (not managing to keep strictly to the schedule) and started the 30 day abs challenge today. Also do arm and shoulder exercises most days, along with running and walking. One way or another my body is going to look less in need of a good ironing this summer (I hope). :lol:
@AnnieW, that's great! I finally managed 2min 20s the other day. I'm not sure I'll ever manage 300s! Also, I haven't tried side planks yet. I might try that at my next physical therapist appointment so he can check my form.
Well better late than never I say. I have been an official couch potato since winter. Finally got the motivation to get back to walking last Friday because for all my fasting I am not losing as I had hoped. Started the plank challenge today with 25 seconds. I am looking forward to thirty days from today to see how I measure up.
Completed day four of challenge and what a rude awakening. My right shoulder and sternum hurttttttt. I would have thought the abs! Has anyone else had this problem??
clairemarie wrote: Completed day four of challenge and what a rude awakening. My right shoulder and sternum hurttttttt. I would have thought the abs! Has anyone else had this problem??

I feel the shoulders much more than abs now, expecially near the end of the longer sessions! Gravity pulls the joints and muscles downward forcing you tighten the whole area to prevent collapsing to the floor.

Try a opposing, extension stretch of the shoulder muscles, arms and upperback by holding onto something secure like a railing (while standing). Then lean back letting your arms extend straight out in front of you. For a few seconds let your weight pull you away from the railing, then pull yourself back upright. It should feel much better after 1-3 repetitions. If you're still tender tomorrow, a rest day might be good.

(Of course, a firm but gentle and sympathetic shoulder massage from a SO/OH can also be very helpful.)
Minumonline wrote: Anyone else find one side easier than the other? I can do the conventional, and one side for 60 secs, but the other side is impossible

I hadn't even considered them until your post. Currently doing 45 seconds a side with no noticeable side-to-side difference other than realizing that balance is very much required.

Have also played with adding push-ups, but not with any conviction or plan yet.
@clairemarie, sternum may hurt from costochondral (rib cartilege) stress if you're not using enough pec major (hugging muscle). Shoulder may hurt if either you're not using enough lat dorsi to draw the shoulderblade down the back (which will give you upper traps soreness), or if you're letting your shoulderblades pinch together across your back. Instead, try more armpit activation (serratus anterior), i.e. push your trunk up between your arms, if that makes any sense. If you are just getting hard work-feeling over the lower part of your shoulderblade or in your armpit, then that's not too bad. Also make sure your hands are under your shoulders (if weight-bearing on hands) or your upper arm is vertical (if on forearms). Otherwise you may be pulling on supraspinatus, which is part of the rotator cuff, very prone to inflammation under the collarbone. This last bit is particularly important if you're side-planking.

happy planking, people! I'm still not a fan though...
@ADFnFuelwhat a great idea on the counter extension! Maybe it will snap my muscles back into place. I know counter pressure is very effective so the extension might settle my muscle fibers down. Thanks for the idea.

@jools7thank you for your ideas. After reading your post I suspect my hand/elbow placement was off. I don't have great upper body strength anyway. I do some kettlebell exercises sporadically at 15 pounds without any pains but I think the angles of movement/contraction are different.
Yay! Managed to hit 5:10 today!
You have to be kidding me!!! 5:10 I can only manage 1 minute but more of them in single minute lots.

I have a lower back ache, not sure if doing these past my can do it time has caused this.

Way to go ADFnFuel. Your core would be amazing at this point.
I've reset the app, and gone back to 40 secs, as I wasnt managing 60 properly, and 90 was a mess. I'm not really convinced yet, I have recurrence of lower back ache, most of the pain while I do it is in my arm, and my stomach seems to be sticking out even more :confused:

I will persevere though, but I wont progress through the days until I can hold it properly for the allocated time
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I think that 30 second increases can be too much. Try 15 seconds, or even 10 seconds beyond the last challenge. C'Mon give it a chance. The point is to continue to make progress. Every little bit counts!

Then, as a confidence booster and as personal proof that you really can do much more than you think, add just 3 seconds to the very end of that time window. Hold it, hold it! YES! See? I told you you could do it.

Later, when you're in the midst of any of life's other challenges and not believing that you've anything left, recall what you did here. And think again.

HTH

:-)
I should be on about Day 16 of this now but had an epic fail after about 60seconds. Forgot to do it for 3 days and then smashed my iphone screen last week and couldn't access the app.
Now have new phone and determined to restart although will be impossible to jump right in again so trying 40 seconds right now.....
Phew that was hard!! Is it ok to shake a little if I still hold my form and breathe?

@Lizbean it seems last week passed in a blur but I have now put this back on the weekly plan list!!!!

I also just joined a facebook group with a 30 day Ab challenge exercise plan. Will see if it lets me post.....
ADFnFuel wrote: As mentioned earlier in this thread, I think that 30 second increases can be too much. Try 15 seconds, or even 10 seconds beyond the last challenge. :-)

Agreed, but its so physically hard, I can't deviate from what the app tells me to do - I build myself up to follow the bleeps - I need to see if I can configure it for different times to the standard program
Sorry if its already been said. I just saw on FB news feed the World Guinness record for the longest held plank is 3hours, 7 minutes and 15 seconds. Anyone game? :shock:
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
133 posts Page 7 of 9