The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Low step-count Support Group
13 Nov 2013, 13:49
This is for anyone who counts their steps (using Fitbit or other pedometers) and struggles to get up to their 10,000 steps a day. I count my steps using a Fitbit and I know there's a Fitbit group but I'm way too intimidated to post my stats there (supportive and friendly as they all are!) mainly because I really struggle to walk 10K steps a day consistently. Many others seem to have no problem getting to 12K or even 20K steps regularly and obviously lead much more active lives than I do.

I should declare that I'm very fortunate in having no health issues that stop me from walking. I'm also mostly home based and should, in theory, easily find the time to go for a walk and get my step count up every day. So why don't I? Well, some days I'm genuinely busy and have no opportunity. Some days the weather is simply too foul. And on most days, it's just plain laziness and inertia.

Anyone else who has this problem? Please speak up! If I'm the only one, I'm going to bed and hiding my head under the duvet and never getting up again! :oops:
Ha ha, shachat, I'm with you there...I think I've done well if I get to 5000 steps! :oops:
@Shachat No worries you are not alone in the low-step count group! I know I can do more steps and really no reason not to walk more, I think I'm just lazy. The weather here is fine nearly all of the time, I just wish I had somewhere interesting to walk. Bored with the flat suburban neighborhood and the treadmill is in the garage now to protect it from the dew on the patio. There isn't any 'nature' anywhere near me and parking at the beach isn't free. I have no problem walking once I get started, it's getting the motivation to get going in the first place. :frown:
No, you're all not the only ones! I get to 10,000 fairly easily on the days I have exercise class, but it's a real struggle the other days.
Hi,
I'm in the Fitbit group, and the last time I looked at the top of the leaderboard, they were AVERAGING 26000 steps! Well clearly, you're not going to do that, but neither am I, so I just don't look at the top, only the people immediately around me, so I can see how I'm doing compared with them.
I'm averaging around 10000 now, but I wouldn't describe achieving it as 'no problem', especially since the clocks changed and it's cold and damp...! I'm lucky enough to have a supportive OH who accompanies me on extra walks most nights for up to an hour, something which won't fit most people's lifestyles, I know!
So I would say set your Fitbit to a lower target, join the group as all levels of steppers are welcome, and just get to know the names around you and ignore the rest.
Do you have anyone you can go for a walk with in the day time? If you've arranged it in advance, you are more likely to go.
Or get a dog!
I have the same problem - work from home, should have time to go for a walk but often end up working through my 'lunch break', weather's foul or just plain lazy. When I had a pedometer years ago I loved it and made an effort to try to get to 10,000 even if it meant walking around the house more. I have no idea how many steps I do now, I don't have a pedometer anymore but am sorely tempted by the Withings Pulse for a Christmas present (to go with my Withings scales).

If I get something with which to monitor my steps, count me in on this group!
Phew! Most reassured to find I'm not the only one! :)

@Moogie I love my Fitbit too (once I'd got over the initial shock of discovering that on some days I used to walk less than 2,000 steps!). It's made a real difference - at least now I'm more aware of how many steps I take and it motivates me to move more. I think another pedometer is a great idea for a Christmas present!

@Betsysgr8, much of my walking is in suburban neighbourhood (although there are some inclines, so that sets me a challenge as I huff and puff up them). What gets me going is my little IPod - earphones in, boppy music on and I'm good to go. Would that work for you?

@Annurca, I can't imagine how anyone averages 26,000 steps a day! They must spend all day on their feet - wow!

Right, stats time. I'm going to clear 8K (I mean 8,000 steps, not 8km distance! :shock: ) by the end of today - that includes a 45 minute brisk walk around the neighbourhood, followed by most of the day at the computer. If I get to 8K I think that's a good day. So today, good day! :wink:
I have a fit bit and on days that I walk to and from work (2.25km) and on days that I go for a run, i can manage 10,000 - 13,000.
If i drive to work or on weekends I can regularly only get to 5000 steps which makes me feel lazy!
Recently I have been doing a lot of physical work, but it is pulling ropes which doesn't add to my step count so whilst I am coming home at night completely shattered from 8 hours working on a boat, my step count may only be 6000!
Thank you for starting this group and making us all feel less guilty because everyone else in the world is getting 20,000 steps a day!
There's nothing like a shitzu (sp?) or other pup staring at you with those soulful, adoring eyes to get you out the door. Once you're out there, it's easy to keep going. :smile:
Another great one is an audiobook or music you love on your ipod. Listening to another chapter is a great excuse to avoid work :smile: ! Just don't accidentally set it on shuffle--very confusing. :confused:
Still struggling to get my step count up. I'm averaging around 8000 steps a day at the moment, so not shameful. I go to the gym as well (that's my excuse!)
You are far better than me, I have avoided getting a fitbit because I know I wouldn't like what it was telling me.
Shachat, please don't be intimidated by the fitbit group stats. Everybody has different lifestyles. I easily manage over 15,000 as I don't work, I walk two Labradors four times a day and live in a big, old french house which takes a lot of housework.
Oh Dear You Guys..........I am grounded at the moment as you well know. Getting a fitbit is like discovering 5.2. it opens your eyes to what you can achieve. If you don't try it how can you make a judgement as to whether it would be a good incentive.
Wise words from shachat last month, getting my fitbit opened my eyes and I would average 13k steps and todays step count so far is a grand 308, and yes everyone can see it just like my progress chart. I am actually looking forward to seeing a slow steady increase over the coming months.
carieoates wrote: Oh Dear You Guys..........I am grounded at the moment as you well know. Getting a fitbit is like discovering 5.2. it opens your eyes to what you can achieve. If you don't try it how can you make a judgement as to whether it would be a good incentive.
Wise words from shachat last month, getting my fitbit opened my eyes and I would average 13k steps and todays step count so far is a grand 308, and yes everyone can see it just like my progress chart. I am actually looking forward to seeing a slow steady increase over the coming months.

Nice avatar Caroline :like: :like: :like: Hope you continue to be on the mend and no more funky chickens :bugeyes: :bugeyes:
Ditto @rawkaren such fun!
18 posts Page 1 of 2