The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

495 posts Page 2 of 33
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33 Next
I got the book on Kindle last evening (£2.86 what's not to like?) and have skimmed through it. I use a Cross Trainer most days unless I go for a run and did experiment a bit with the Interval programmes last year. I was disappointed at that time that a 30 min session incorporating Intervals theoretically used fewer calories than 30 mins at a steady pace.
Having read the book I gave it another go this morning - a 20 min session incorporating 6 x 1 min 20 sec periods of high intensity. I will experiment with shorter sessions and higher intensity.
So count me in.
FastDay: The Program - a free 4 week App-based introduction to 5:2 and intermittent fasting.
Count me in please. I just did Leslie Sansone's Walk to the HITs - which is a high intensity training walking video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCVlx4JR1A Is that ok? I can't do high impact but I'm ok with low impact. I'm trying to exercise at least 3 hours a week.
I've just received the book & starting to read it so don't know if I am too old at 67? Should I see my GP first?
Nessie wrote: Count me in please, last year I did tabata training which was the original hiit I did 8 times 20second bursts of Kettle bell swings and squats, life got a bit busy on the run up to Christmas and I stopped doing it so I will be delighted to start again. I buy MMs book and see what he has to say. No time like the present I will just go and do a set now. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can get a free app for tabata training.



welcome to the HIT club. you are member 5 @nessie

i thought i posted last night a reply but it seems to have vanished. anyway glad you can be motivated to use teh Kettle ball swings and do squats again.. what kind of squats do you do?
janeg wrote: *engage teenager mode* do I have to? Can I do it on Saturday? pullleaaaseeee? Big dramatic sigh *disengage teenager mode*
Need to do it in the morning or it just won't happen. Tomorrow isn't looking good, Friday is the day after a fast and I will hopefully be away at dark o'clock to dive, so Saturday it is. There. Convinced myself



Saturday it is then @janeg and i agree only time to do it is in the morning.
Please add me, that is iff you think my form of HIIT is acceptable.

I didn't start to exercise till I'd lost 30lbs weight, but that is less than a quarter of what I want to lose. So at 250lbs weight (113kg or 17st 12lb), I started exercising by joining a gym. My son joined at the same time. We both talked to the instructor who took note of our fitness levels and any injuries/medical problems we had. He started my son off on HIIT immediately even though my son had a higher BMI than I did. I think it was because of our ages.

I have just been doing steady warm ups with a steady increase in time and resistance on the stationary bike as I was able. Then lots of repetitions with weights and other equipment, again its slowly getting easier and some of the weights have gone up along with the number of repetitions. Then a cool down on the bike. At my weight and with a previous knee cartilage rip and repair, the instructor doesn't want me to do anything to aggravate the old injury so no treadmill or cross trainer, yet!.

In the last month the warm ups have incorporated a form of HIIT, in that I do a 2 minute warm up at about level 6 (out of 20) followed by 10 seconds of level 20 as fast as I can go. Dropping back to a level 4 or 5 for 1:50mins. Then I do another 10 seconds blast at level 20 and carry on like that through the 10 minutes. Finishing with the last 10 seconds at level 20 and a 2 minute cool down. Boy has that notched the workout.

@Isis I would say to yes, see your doctor and get your blood pressure etc. checked out. But then go to a gym with a qualified instructor, take the induction course and talk through with him/her what you are aiming for. (I generally wanted to get fitter and tighten up the drooppy bits , my BP has dropped from 120/90 to 110/70 which caused my doc to do a retest as he couldn't believe someone my weight and age could have such a healthy BP.) The instructor should start you off easy and work you up to incorporating HIIT into your regime.
gillymary wrote: Oh groan this is the area where I need to be motivated count me in, interested in incorporating HIIT into my existing gym visits and I need to walk more regularly



i hear the groans a lot... maybe this is what we all really needed. its too easy to put off.. any kind of exercise although I admire those in the Fitbit thread that have it all down pat.

@gillymary , welcome aboard.. member 7
SianS wrote: I got the book on Kindle last evening (£2.86 what's not to like?) and have skimmed through it. I use a Cross Trainer most days unless I go for a run and did experiment a bit with the Interval programmes last year. I was disappointed at that time that a 30 min session incorporating Intervals theoretically used fewer calories than 30 mins at a steady pace.
Having read the book I gave it another go this morning - a 20 min session incorporating 6 x 1 min 20 sec periods of high intensity. I will experiment with shorter sessions and higher intensity.
So count me in.


Well done on getting started again.

You are member 8 @SianS
mkmacphee wrote: Count me in please. I just did Leslie Sansone's Walk to the HITs - which is a high intensity training walking video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCVlx4JR1A Is that ok? I can't do high impact but I'm ok with low impact. I'm trying to exercise at least 3 hours a week.


@mkmacphee ,welcome aboard, @member number 9

That video looks great. that will cover the aerobic side of thing. do you have any ideas for your strength/resistance training?
Isis wrote: I've just received the book & starting to read it so don't know if I am too old at 67? Should I see my GP first?


@Isis, im not sure others here may be better informed re age and i havent read up too much yet. but ill make you member 10 on the basis some gentle exercise in an intense kind of way is a good thing. The strength part of the exercise method im sure is ok
Julieathome wrote: Please add me, that is iff you think my form of HIIT is acceptable.

I didn't start to exercise till I'd lost 30lbs weight, but that is less than a quarter of what I want to lose. So at 250lbs weight (113kg or 17st 12lb), I started exercising by joining a gym. My son joined at the same time. We both talked to the instructor who took note of our fitness levels and any injuries/medical problems we had. He started my son off on HIIT immediately even though my son had a higher BMI than I did. I think it was because of our ages.

I have just been doing steady warm ups with a steady increase in time and resistance on the stationary bike as I was able. Then lots of repetitions with weights and other equipment, again its slowly getting easier and some of the weights have gone up along with the number of repetitions. Then a cool down on the bike. At my weight and with a previous knee cartilage rip and repair, the instructor doesn't want me to do anything to aggravate the old injury so no treadmill or cross trainer, yet!.

In the last month the warm ups have incorporated a form of HIIT, in that I do a 2 minute warm up at about level 6 (out of 20) followed by 10 seconds of level 20 as fast as I can go. Dropping back to a level 4 or 5 for 1:50mins. Then I do another 10 seconds blast at level 20 and carry on like that through the 10 minutes. Finishing with the last 10 seconds at level 20 and a 2 minute cool down. Boy has that notched the workout.

@Isis I would say to yes, see your doctor and get your blood pressure etc. checked out. But then go to a gym with a qualified instructor, take the induction course and talk through with him/her what you are aiming for. (I generally wanted to get fitter and tighten up the drooppy bits , my BP has dropped from 120/90 to 110/70 which caused my doc to do a retest as he couldn't believe someone my weight and age could have such a healthy BP.) The instructor should start you off easy and work you up to incorporating HIIT into your regime.


welcome aboard @JulieatHome. you are member 111

thank you for sharing the details of your HIT strategy. notice you put in the extra I. i know thats the interval part but to be consistent myself ill use HIT. i notice the recent media write ups of MM's visits drop the second I. High intensity interval training is such a mouthful lol

your HIT program seems longer than what MM was saying on that interview i saw. so for one HIT session, is there a right total time needed for
a) aerobic
b) strength..

The Gyms are going to love how HIT is getting so popular as the can offer some support and guidance many of us need. Im thinking about returning to a gym but only one with casual membership. (i pay on a visit.. even if its more)
Count me in - Great idea.

I am awaiting on my treadmill to arrive (still :-() and then I will be into it with some form of running HIIT - haha sounds like some kind of kung fu move a running HIIT BAM!

Anyway... back on track... I am going to be using pulse and VO2 Max as my indicators.

Haven't worked out what the routine will be yet though
Ooh! I haven't seen that Leslie Sanson one before. I have the 'Walk Away The Pounds for the Abs' but haven't used it for a while. This one looks to be more fun.
TBrewerton wrote: Count me in - Great idea.

I am awaiting on my treadmill to arrive (still :-() and then I will be into it with some form of running HIIT - haha sounds like some kind of kung fu move a running HIIT BAM!

Anyway... back on track... I am going to be using pulse and VO2 Max as my indicators.

Haven't worked out what the routine will be yet though


thanks @tbrewerton] member 12


good idea re pulse and v02 max as indicators. Can you tell me in more details how you work out what your goal should be in these areas?
CreakyPete wrote: I think a realistic goal to set is just completing the scheduled exercises, ie not wimping out, deferring or finding excuses. The gains/improvements should be automatic. Put me down for membership please, then I shall have to find a suitable medium for my HIT rather than lying on this sofa reading the book (which is good)!


oops CreakyPete i nearly missed you in allocating a number. You get lucky number 13!

if you think the book is good then it must be essential reading as you seem very knowledgeable about fitness and weightloss by your contribution to the forum
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33 Next
495 posts Page 2 of 33
Similar Topics
2day fast versus 5:2 fast
in Introduce Yourself!
0   247
Last post by fiona 123 11 Oct 2018, 07:16
A fat fast ???
in The 5:2 Lab
1   552
Last post by lovemyparrot 14 Oct 2018, 01:59
Changing up fast
in Introduce Yourself!
0   60
Last post by 1ofGodfav50 09 Apr 2019, 11:48
Changing up fast
in Introduce Yourself!
0   48
Last post by 1ofGodfav50 09 Apr 2019, 11:47

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!

cron