The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

495 posts Page 11 of 33
Previous 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33 Next
Ummm not sure if I should be part of this club or just an ordinary exercise thread but here's my plan - 3 mile HIT walking video by Leslie Sansone 3 times a week (50 min) plus 10 min strength building exercises 4 times a week. Plus I'm adding a Pilates core program - my abs need it. It's 20 min and I'd like to do it at least 3 times a week. That's a total of 280 min a week.
I'd love to join the club - my challenge will be treadmill based so fast walking and then running as fast as I can - my target is to increase the length of time I can do that for so start with 20 seconds and then go from there hopefully to a minute and then on.
Hi @creakypete, thanks for your interest in my times, I'm sure they're not as fast as yours! I could quote the old adage, "I'm built for comfort not speed" - but over a hilly course on bike track gravel, and slowing for kids and dogs and stopping for traffic lights, I averaged 18.8 kph over the 32.5 km., on a fast day, and feeling pretty cruisey (getting new unbuckled wheels for my hybrid definitely helped)- I'm pretty happy, since I've only been a slightly more serious cyclist for under a year - this time last year I'd never ridden 30 km! My HR was bet 115-130 for most of that, getting up to 140 on the hills - obviously not as high as I get for my HIIT on the crosstrainer..

Interesting reading your HR stats - I don't understand what your zones are? But you seem to have a good aerobic creep over that time period.

Happy HIITing everyone!
My Garmin device seems to attribute zones on the basis of age & weight, I don't know what logic is applied, I just go along with it! Max HR will be about 160 in theory, not seen much more than that in the last couple of years. Your pace looks about the same as MrsPete but we have not done rides as long as 32.5 km yet - roll on summer...

PS I try not to stop for traffic lights!

PPS love Leonard Cohen, have seen him in concert (in the 70s)
Nicky_94 wrote: I keep reading this post so I've decided to bite the bullet and ask if I could please join the club??

I exercise outside as I have no space at home and I can't afford the gym, so I have been doing HIIT in the form of 30 secs effort, 90 secs off for the last couple of weeks either running or uphill on my bike.

Yesterday I downloaded an app with tabatha intervals on it, so I tried my usual running routine that I've been doing for the last couple of weeks thinking that it might be easier, and gosh, I could only do three lots before I had to take a couple of minutes off as I was about to vomit, then I did two more, then another couple of mins, then the last three...I really didn't think I was going to make it!

Anyway the plan is to do two running/cycling sessions and one or two strength training sessions a week, in the hope of getting fit and fast enough for a 10k in May/June.

@Nicky_94, thanks for joining. You are member 31.. all the best on your plans.
mkmacphee wrote: Ummm not sure if I should be part of this club or just an ordinary exercise thread but here's my plan - 3 mile HIT walking video by Leslie Sansone 3 times a week (50 min) plus 10 min strength building exercises 4 times a week. Plus I'm adding a Pilates core program - my abs need it. It's 20 min and I'd like to do it at least 3 times a week. That's a total of 280 min a week.

Yes join us all @mkmacphee. Seems a great group chat going on too which is great. You are member 32

great plan you have for HIT plus the walking.
barney77 wrote: I'd love to join the club - my challenge will be treadmill based so fast walking and then running as fast as I can - my target is to increase the length of time I can do that for so start with 20 seconds and then go from there hopefully to a minute and then on.

Member 33... welcome to the club! sounds like a plan @barney77
Well, I did my HIT this morning, three lots of 20 seconds at full bore. Am hoping to up that over the next few weeks. AT least I started!
I would love to join you guys! Completed the 5th fast day today and have been taking 1-2 hour walks with my baby only and need to kick things up a notch!

Thanks,
Jen
#15 reporting in. Today is an HIIT day. I'm kind of afraid of it now though. My plan is to give the spin bike a go. Any sign of pain and I'm quitting. Yesterday, I did weights and my personal trainer friend finally showed up. She was a big help. She gave me a lot of tips about form. I was doing the exercises a little fast, and not being careful enough about the shape of my back. Also… breathing. I wasn't too far off, but I could feel the muscles working more doing it her way, and I'm sure I reduce my injury risk this way. Shame she doesn't have a magic cure for that evil stationary bike seat!
Count me in. I've been doing it for 3 weeks now. Sprinting for 1 minute then recovery for 1.5 minutes, (x9) , 3 times a week & 8 minute strength training as outlined in MM book 3 times a week.
Number 3 here

@Philippa That is the HIT regime that I have been using for a year now and find it brilliant.

Today I did an HIT swim that involved firstly swimming 10 lengths (18 meters length at our gym pool) to warm up then after letting my heart rate go down doing 2 lengths as fast as I could followed by two lengths slowly * 10 with no resting in between.
The results were interesting in that a) during my last "sprint"my heart rate got up to 160 which is higher than it has ever got swimming and b) my slow lengths got faster through the session even though the felt the same. Next time I will up it to 20 *2+2 and see how it goes I may also try it swimming breast stroke rather than freestyle. Are there any other swimmers out there?
Singlemamma wrote: I would love to join you guys! Completed the 5th fast day today and have been taking 1-2 hour walks with my baby only and need to kick things up a notch!

Thanks,
Jen

Jen, @singlemamma thanks for joining your are Member number 34 ahh i remember the days of walks with my babies! such precious times. All the best to getting fit.
Philippa wrote: Count me in. I've been doing it for 3 weeks now. Sprinting for 1 minute then recovery for 1.5 minutes, (x9) , 3 times a week & 8 minute strength training as outlined in MM book 3 times a week.

Member 35
@Philippa. Welcome to the club. good to see you have started already. ive posted your method in post 1
Number 28 here! I did my second HIT session on the rowing machine this evening. My splendid son, who's Concept 2 rowing machine I am using, found me a heart rate monitor which 'talks' to the rower. I didn't even know such things existed!

I did my 2000 metres in about the same time as yesterday and, again, without needing to stop for a breather. My heart rate went up to 140 at one point and, by the time I had finished my cool down, was down to 119. A few minutes later (can't be precise because the rower turns itself off after two minutes of inactivity!)it was back to my resting heart rate of 55-60.

My question to those of you who know these things is whether I am working hard enough during the Hit part of this - bearing in mind that I am a 64 year old, non-exerciser?

Any comments/advice would be very welcome. :smile:
Previous 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33 Next
495 posts Page 11 of 33