The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 23 of 98
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
17 Jul 2013, 09:52
I LOVE parkrun! It has exploded here in Australia. When I discovered it about a year ago, there was one in my city (Brisbane), now it almost seems there is a new one every month - there are about a dozen in the area!

My big dream is to run a sub-60 minute 10km. I've come agonisingly close in past "running seasons".
18 Jul 2013, 00:17
For the first time in years, even though I run regularly, I have muscle pain from running. I did about 10k, conquering a few hills I used to have to walk up, and probably going at least a half a minute per km faster than I used to. It seems I've been subconsciously running slower to protect my knees. Now they're no longer aching after every run, it seems I'm subconsciously going faster. I'm really hoping I can do this half-marathon in October. I'm very excited!
20 Jul 2013, 11:19
Another Saturday, another parkrun! Beautiful conditions for running, cooler than of late, and my 100 tee-shirt had arrived so that was presented to me, which was nice. Set off at the same pace as last week but had the sense to slow down on the midway hill, to conserve some energy. This worked well, and I was able to stretch out over the last half-mile to finish in 22:42 by my GPS, three seconds faster than my recent best and the fastest for over 2 years. Well chuffed!

How did the rest of you get on today?
20 Jul 2013, 12:26
I want to start running - do you recommend the couch to 5k method. I am a couple of stones lighter now than when I started this wol and have a lot more energy and walking is just not enough anymore, but I loathe the gym. I know I am a bit long in the tooth just to be starting running but my knees and hips are in good shape, I do take bp meds and beta-blockers but am not planning to be running strenuously, just for fun and pleasure. I wish there was a parkrun here, the nearest one is a half hour drive away.
20 Jul 2013, 12:42
I didn't start running until I was 30 so you should be OK!

You need to wait for one of the others to extol the virtues of C25k, I had not heard of it until I joined the forum but it does seem to follow established principles and people are giving good reports so I would say 'Go for it!'

Good luck - nice to have good hips...
20 Jul 2013, 18:27
I started running 2 years ago with the nhs c25k plan. There is also a friendly forum to help you along the way. Lots of support there too. It's a 9 week plan which aims to get you running for 30 mins at the end of it. It is downloadable in mp3 format in weekly podcasts and has the voice of "Laura" giving you guidance and tips over the music, which is a bit cheesy but helps as a distraction. I think the first week is a five min walk followed by 8 x (1min run followed by 90second walk) finishing with another 5min cool down walk. Thoroughly recommend this program. I hadn't run since school PE days (27 years). Give it a go. You have nothing to lose. Good luck :)
22 Jul 2013, 10:53
Well done Pete!

I had a terrible run on Saturday, but I was pretty hungover after a fancy dress party the night before!
22 Jul 2013, 13:21
Dhana - I run 3 to 4 times a week, but usually just a 30 minute 5k. For the last 4 weeks I've taken a friend out with me, who is a running beginner. She has improved beyond recognition in 4 weeks and can now run 5k without stopping. Tips she said were helpful were that if there are any small inclines, shorten your pace to make it easier to get up them without stopping and once you can run for 5 to 10 minutes without stopping consider sometimes just slowing right down instead of walking while you get your breath back. She said psychologically carrying on running (even if at the pace of a walk) was a boost. She is an active mum of an even more active boy, so she started fitter than the very beginning of the C25K, but it's nice to know how fast your fitness can improve with running.
27 Jul 2013, 11:36
A sweaty Hello from Kent.

I nearly did last week's parkrun with a hangover but didn't in the end. We had vistors, 19yo nephew and his parents. I was asked if I planned to run, (I hadn't because I knew I would be hungover) and nephew said he'd come if I did, then my son (age 17) chimed in that he would if his cousin was going, then OH announced that if everyone else was going he'd go too. So I spent some time blearily printing out bar codes for everyone. Luckily the nephew changed his mind on Saturday morning, so I was spared.

Today was a good but very humid run, I got a bit boxed in at the start and had to push harder to get round people, I was afraid that I had gone too fast and would have trouble at the end but I think I have a new PB. So I'm anxiously refreshing the results page.

My lovely OH spent 2 sessions out with the clippers clearing nettles and brambles off the public footpath through the woods, so my new home training run has expanded to 6.5km ish :smile:
27 Jul 2013, 11:40
New PB 29:07 ! crikey last time out was 29:40. Off to celebrate :smile: :cool:
27 Jul 2013, 14:16
Well done SianS - a big chunk of time off your old best!

Wife & I performed equally badly today, about 40 seconds slower than last week, but I was very warm - especially as I wore my 100 shirt instead of a racing vest, big mistake. First lap went to schedule but the second was hard work and slow. Still, only 3 months ago I was delighted to get the same time...

Not many more chances to get a PB before they change the course a bit (and make it longer in the process, I suspect) which will put my old best well out of reach...
27 Jul 2013, 19:41
Excellent Sian, well done!

I took my lucky mascot, my dog Mini, with me today, and got a much better 28.50. Would have been even faster if Mini hadn't pretended she was Paula Radcliffe and stopped for a poo half way round lap 1........
03 Aug 2013, 09:45
Parkrun went surprisingly well this morning - hips have been painful all week and Wednesday's intervals were slower than usual but today's run was cooler than last week and I managed to pace the second lap better leaving something for a sprint finish - 22:56 by my watch, which is good in the circumstances. Have to miss the next couple due to holidays and the course will be different by the time we get back so this might be my last decent time!
03 Aug 2013, 09:59
Good morning runners

Well done Pete :like:

I don't feel like today was my day - my phone with my GPS app and my music froze up after 10 secs, I fiddled with it for a while slowing me down more, before giving up and carrying on in a bit of a grump. I have no idea of my time, but I do know that my slice of toast and jam at about 7.30 wasn't a very good idea.
To cap the morning off I called in at a supermarket on the way back, to get something I saw advertised yesterday for breakfast - and they didn't stock it.
Maybe I should go back to bed and start today all over again :curse:
03 Aug 2013, 17:32
As expected it wasn't a quick time today 30:52, which I would have been very happy with before I broke 30 mins. I fasted yesterday as it was the only time I could get a second fast in last week and I don't think that helped.
Anyway I'm volunteering next week rather than running :smile:
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 23 of 98