The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

56 posts Page 2 of 4
I am downright lazy. I abhor exercise! The only time I enjoyed it was when I was slimmer and would go for a 30-40 minute walk each morning to stay 'fit' (ish). I enjoyed turning a few heads - and hope to reach the point where I can do that again!

I had an exercise bike for a while but despite doing 25-40 mins 5-6 times a week I couldn't seem to shift any weight. I sold the awful old thing (had it since I was a teenager, so a good 16 years or more) and don't miss it.

That said, I shall watch Dr M's video about exercise. 20-30 seconds a few times a day sounds like something I could do, and it's certainly got to be an improvmenet on the bugger all I do at the moment! Thanks for the link :)
I feel your pain Moogie...I abhor exercise too. 20-30 secs x 3 is enough for me!
I am one of those strange people who love exercise and sports.

While playing Roller Derby last spring I fell badly and injured my knee and am still in rehab getting it better, so no exercise or working out for me. In 10 months I have put on 2 stone :( I miss it like crazy. Serves me right for being sporty huh.

When I'm not injured I'm at the gym 6 times a week, playing roller derby 3 times a week and at dance classes 3 times a week - I cant sit still!
This is my third fasting week, lost 1.lbs last week. I run mainly and have done for a few years now.

Normally I run about 4-5 times a week. I try and fit longer runs around feast days as a precaution. So far I haven't noticed any huge impact.
I run, usually three times a week, twice with a ladies only group and once the timed ParkRun. The group does all kinds of tempo/interval/hill training whereas the ParkRun is a straight 5K. Ideally I would be doing a longer run too but the weather lately has put paid to that. And I swim once a week, for a couple of miles.
Reading through here has made me think I need to do more activity, so I have bitten the bullet, last night I played badminton with some friends. We are going to make it a regular thing each week. Played for an hour, I was very hot and sweaty by the end, but I have to say I did really enjoy it. And I have won an exercise bike on E Bay :roll:
Are any of the fitness apps any good?

I was looking at them recently and checked out Nike and Jillian Michaels, both mentioned here.

I mostly just walk. Sometimes, while watching TV, I bounce around on an exercise ball and do some bicep curls with free weights but not sure that amounts to much! :lol:
My exercise falls into two types - walking and playing tennis.

I got a fitbit probably about 9 months ago and that has been massively motivational for me. I think it really depends on your personality type, but I'm a bit of a gadget lover and knowing how many steps a day I take and how active I am (and how many calories I burn over my BMR) spurs me on to do more.

Initially my goal was to do the 10K steps health experts recommend, now I aim for 15K - I don't always make it but I have been known to go for a walk late at night just to reach my goal ;)

I play tennis about 3 times a week which is great fun - and boosts the exercise calories. I have gradually changed my behaviours to increase my walking, parking at the far end of the car park etc. And since Sept I walk my youngest to school each morning - works out the be a round trip of about 2.5 miles. Having it as part of my daily routine means it just happens, if I aimed for the gym there would always be excuses.

I'd love to run - so impressed by all the talk of 5K - but tried the coach to 5K program and found my knees reacted v badly and I had to stop everything for months- so back to walking :(
Just a silly question that might not be silly to ask. I have a pedometer. I've done 17376 steps today that means I burn 297 calories. My question is if I walked instead of let's say resting Shall I deduct what would have been in calories for resting(what would it be?) to the 297calories? I hope I make sense. Xx
Yes, I think so, you deduct them from the resting calories and add them to the exercise calories (that's what my app does anyway). But you can't eat those calories as well as your 500 on fast days.
I think we all make the mistakes about adding calories when exercising to our normal day and not deduct. Anyway, I'm being a good girl to stick to 500cal. Although I've been a bit naughty...I did have a toast with Nutella in my 500cal allowance yesterday oops Soz ;)
I like water sports and flying a kite, neither of which I do very often. I'm also determined to learn to run, preferably barefoot and did a Chi running course last year, which was fab.

I've also done a range of other sports but Pilates is my most adhered to but don't go to classes anymore (just moved) so need to find a class.
For those of you who don't exercise when you did do a bit did you feel worse or better?
I can't imagine not doing something as after awhile you can relax into the zone.
You gotta find the right exercise , aerobics in front of tv is for certain people, but a walk to the park and back is for everyone.
I love the gym but prefer Pilates, however I need cardiovascular so I run treadmill at the mo, 30mins, row machine works arms - bingo wings- tummy and thighs, walk the dog, cycle in the good weather and play tennis and reward myself with a nice piece of cake! ; ) that's my problem!
I used to jog, (can't call it running as I'm very slow) around the bay, where I live, it's 4.5 miles round trip, from our house along a sea wall and back home. It's very pretty in the summer but quite cold/windy this time of year, every summer I build up to jogging all the way round then winter happens and it's to cold or wet to go, yes, I'm good at making excuses!
I walk at least two miles a day with my BC, she does around ten miles with all the frisbee action :roll:
56 posts Page 2 of 4