The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

56 posts Page 1 of 4
Exercise? Do you? If so, what?
11 Jan 2013, 12:31
As being healthy requires attention to both diet and exercise, I wondered if it might be worth starting a chat about exercise?

I am intrinsically lazy so the concept of minimal effort for maximal gain appeals to me tremendously (which is one reason I am following the 5:2 diet) so when I saw Dr Mosley's programme about exercise and his discovery that doing three lots of 20 seconds of high intensity exercise three times a week could dramatically improve one's health, I was immediately interested. I gave it a go for several months last spring and early summer but the lack of an exercise bike at home meant I gradually lost interest. However, since starting this diet I thought I had better get back into it and have purchased an exercise bike. It arrived this week and I have managed to do 4 sessions of 3 x 30 secs. Hopefully, added to the fasting I will be biochemically fabulous in a few months time!

I'm sure many of the rest of you are far more energetic than I so why not tell us about it?
I started playing 5-a-side footy with some folk from the business park where I work, about a month after starting doing 5:2, and I did cycle to work a few times a week last year until the weather started getting bad (so, about April then) and never got back into it, but hopefully will this year.

My main thing is more walking. We moved close to a small town (Skipton) from being in the middle of nowhere, and whilst before everything meant a car ride, now we just walk all over town, and it's surprising what difference it makes. I take a 20 min walk at lunch (I'm lucky to work in the grounds of a large stately home, so it's very nice). I also tend to park my car farther away to where I need to be than is necessary for some free exercise.

I did go to a gym initially, but get easily bored (though it always amused me everyone trying to park as close to the door as possible).
Jeremy wrote: (though it always amused me everyone trying to park as close to the door as possible).

:lol: :lol:Jeremy
Hello,
I fast 3 days a week Monday, Wednesday and Friday and exercise on each of these days. We have a crosstrainer and I do 20mins on 1 of the program's. I hav only been doing this diet a short time but I hav felt fine exercising. My hubby has been loosing weight by exercising and eating sensible(smaller portions) and has lost 6and half stone. It gives a good all round work out.
carorees wrote: ...so when I saw Dr Mosley's programme about exercise and his discovery that doing three lots of 20 seconds of high intensity exercise three times a week could dramatically improve one's health, I was immediately interested.

Do you know the name of that program, so I can google it? I'm very interested! I can't watch Horizon in the US without finding it on some mirror site.

I don't exercise per se - but I do try to do things like park way out of my way, or take stairs instead of the elevator.
It's called "The Truth About Exercise". Doesn't seem to be on you tube any more as taken down by the BBC.
http://vimeo.com/51836895
We Americans have ways of finding what the BBC doesn't want us to see!
I run three about 5k 3 times a week and on non run days and when the mood takes me I use one of those stepper machines for about 30mins while watching tv! ;)
I went out for a 5k run today for the first time during a fast day. It felt the same as running on any other day. Quite pleased about that. I expected to find it a bit of a struggle but I didn't.....well not any more than usual. :D
I make plans to go to exercise classes but rarely follow through. I have a wii fit lying idle.
I fancy getting a good quality exercise bike and trying the HIT idea - but I bought a cheap one years ago. My long suffering husband put it all together, only to have to take it apart and try to fit it back in the box when we decided it wasn't worth the money. He won't let me buy another! I think we might have a basic rowing machine hidden somewhere. I stopped paying gym membership once I realised I needed a babysitter or I couldn't actually go!
i brought a mini trampoline, and went on it 15 mins today, its really fun to go on it whilst watching corrie,
I've started exercising agin, but haven' done it on fast days. A wee bit scared to try it as pretty severe blood sugar dips are horrible. So far, I'm building up, not sure what to though. Probably need a goal.
I do 15 to 20 minutes on the rowing machine. After 2K (about 12 mins) I do intervals of 10 pulls at full, all out pace, with a minute to recover, going at about half speed. I'm building up and can do 5 now. Trying to get to 10.
Once I've done that, I do a 15 minute targeted workout from Nike fit app.
Then I collapse.
Aiming for 5 times a week, not doing it on fast days.
Comments and suggestions are welcome
:)
I'm a Jillian Michaels fan. I have about 5 of her DVDs and usually work out with them 5 or 6 mornings a week. I find it much easier to get up a bit earlier to exercise before work than to motivate myself to find time in the evening.

For me it always seems so difficult to make the time to go to the gym (I don't drive yet which doesn't help) and I'm not really good at any sport so team sports are out, and I find swimming really tedious.

20/30 mins workout in my own living room first thing in the morning is the best way for me and Jillian Michaels does seriously hard-core circuit training.
Zumba for me.
Started on 2 mornings a week, but now upped to three.
I love it. I did it today on my 2nd consecutive fast day, and didn't feel weak or shaky.
It's something I really enjoy, and get really excited when its Zumba day.
I think I read that exercise is more beneficial when done during fasting. Or did I just make that up?
I keep meaning to go to aerobics but as yet it hasn't happened since October.. but maybe next week? I like swimming but find it all a bit a of a faff and waiting for the bus in the cold at 9 o'clock at night... not very appealing. I'm trying to walk faster when I'm out and about (I generally go at a leisurely pace). A couple of weeks ago I went for a 4 mile round walk in my local area, which made me feel good and perhaps it would be nice to work my way up to running.. maybe...
56 posts Page 1 of 4