The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

24 posts Page 2 of 2
amberenchanted wrote: gonna have to get me some of this coconur oil. where do you buy it?? is it just in the supermarket or do you have to go to a health food shop?

ha, Im an 80s girl & love nothing better than a bit of tears for fears, wham or whatever compilation I can find :)

Got mine in Waitrose for £6.99, in the oils section :0)
Do you take the coconut oil on a fast day too and do you therefore include the calories in your 500 for the day?
Hello Slimmer, I take it every day. As I only count carbs at any time, it means that my 2 fast days are very, very low carbs in comparison to the other 5. Calories don't come into any equations for my regime. I understand that a high fat regime is only of benefit when taken with minimal carbohydrate intake, from whatever source, low GI, high GI, or indifferent GI. Like I say, not for everyone's taste, but workable for me.
Thank you 140lbs. I will give it a try.
Because of the high calorie content of fat, increasing fat without reducing carbs is dangerous!
Thanks Carorees, I try to emphasise every time that a high fat diet is certainly not for everyone, and must be accompanied by very low carb. Unfortunately, when people actually see me in the flesh, and ask how me and hubby have lost 5 stones between us in 5 months, then ask how we have achieved it, all they hear is the double cream and butter bits, then go into a dream, not listening to the adjunct of BUT ONLY WITH LOW CARB!
Maybe I should stop mentioning it in my postings? I don't want people to be worse off health wise by picking up on the half of the story they like, and disregarding the other half.
Human nature is complicated, and no less so in the social, religious, economic, political and psychological aspects associated with food. I like to think that forum members will read round a topic, and work things out for themselves.
I think you should continue to mention it, definitely! I'll see if there is any info in the scientific literature and from Peter Attia about what kind of carb/fat balance might be 'safe' for people who aren't insulin resistant. Of course it also depends on the type of carbs consumed too. I think that a 'carb cycling' approach might work for those who don't want to commit to a constant low carb lifestyle (which is fine for those who are not insulin resistant). So, like the two-day diet, have some days that are really low carb (and can be high fat) and others in which carbs are allowed (which would need also to be lower in fat so as to prevent exceeding TDEE too much!).
I've been reading all the posts and have started to change by eating habits. My 2 fast days are low-fat/very low-carb, 2 days are low-fat/more carb (taco tuesdays and beer, lol) and 2 days higher-fat/very low-carb and 1 day where I don't pay much attention (dinner at Mom's, etc) and the weight is finally shifting in a downward trend again.

The hardest part has been adding fat after hearing for years that 'fat is bad', I've come to the conclusion that fat itself isn't bad, it's the fat/high GI carb combo that is the problem when it's done everyday. I also balance the meals, if I just really really want that pancake breakfast special, I do but that is rare and I'll balance that with a low-fat, protein/veg dinner.
Betsysgr8, I really like your style, and if it is getting results for you that is so good. My low carb way is to keep my blood glucose in check after years of rotten readings since being diagnosed with diabetes, and following what I now regard as bad advice, and it is working out fine for me.
I continue to disregard any calorie counting, as for me the concept is a red herring. I am not indulging in an amount of carbs anywhere near to that which I had been advised to do, so I have developed a natural appetite, with no cravings at all, and so no feelings to over eat. I consider the equilibrium of this is sufficient for my body to instinctively stop eating when I have had a sufficiency. Honestly, it is as simple as that! It is not because I am a goody two shoes, it is because my body is working well, and responding to food in a natural way. Unnatural junk food, especially sugars, induces unnatural responses, and I am pleased to have overcome their pull over me.
Eating fat does not mean overindulging in fats, because it would induce nausea.
Reducing carbs does not mean removing carbs, because that would be near impossible.
Moderate intake of protein is second nature for most people, mainly due to financial restrictions!
But, back to the music.
Just had a great class session of yoga to the soothing sounds of Enya-- so lovely.
But, back to The Beatles in the morning when I will be left to my own devices to do the anaerobic stuff.
24 posts Page 2 of 2