The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

41 posts Page 1 of 3
Monday 21st Fast Day
20 Jan 2013, 22:43
Hello,

I usually fast from 8pm on the Sunday until breakfast on the Tuesday, although I am slightly over as I've been distracted by revision and checking school closures so wasn't aware of the time.
Last Thursdays fast wasn't very successful in that I ate junk as I felt so ill and was cold all day. I ended up with a mug of sugarless tea and a couple of biscuits, so was within my 500 but didn't eat well.After having those I didn't feel hungry for the rest of the day. Friday although still suffering with a cold , I felt so much better.

Anyway this got me thinking, initially I trawled the supermarket for ready meals around 500. My first was yummy - possibly because I was starving on fast day 1 :lol: but after that the others I tried I didn't like. So I am thinking of not making fast day a big thing, just find foods that are under and only have them for the purpose of needing to have the 500, does that make sense? The whole idea and benefit/advantage of 5:2 for me was to not get hung up on calorie counting and not make an issue of fast days as such... 'I'm not on a diet' as I don't see it that way, its more a lifestyle. Plus I am fascinated by the science.

I've been 5:2'ing only 3 weeks but I know how great I feel the day after and calorie counting in a sense makes it harder work than it is. I plan on getting a cupboard full of soups etc for fast days and concentrate on eating sensibly on normal days.

Sorry this is such a long post. Have a great fast day.
Re: Monday 21st Fast Day
21 Jan 2013, 07:49
I think you're probably right but I am still trapped in meal planning as I insist on having my 500 cals in the evening as a proper dinner with the rest of the family (though of course they get to have more).

If I ever reach my target weight, I thought I might carry on doing two fast days a week but not count calories since I don't eat all day anyway.
21 Jan 2013, 07:58
Yep, I'm back fasting today. Quite looking forward to it. I read that this is supposed to be 'Blue Monday' or the most depressing day of the year - cheerful! Maybe fasters will feel more positive? :)

I think we went OTT last night finishing up the vegetables in our roast dinner in readiness for the fast (my husband described it as 'a sprout too far' and I think he was right :mrgreen: ). Got to get out of that mindset!

theedemented1 - I probably wouldn't fast if I felt unwell. I think it's fine to change days or skip a fast. I'm not sure about low cal ready meals though I would probably head to M&S if I was looking for one - Count on Us or Feel Fuller Longer?

Mind you, a simple veg omelette is low in cals and so is a tray of ready prepared veg to roast mixed with small amount of pasta or baked fish/chicken? Easy?

I know what you mean about keeping it simple and not obsessing about food on a fast day. We were just saying this morning that one of the good things about fasting is not having to think about food or decide what to have for a bit.

Have a good fast day everyone! :D
Jo
21 Jan 2013, 08:00
Caroline
I'm like you, I like my evening meal and I quite like cooking so looking forward to trying some of the great recipes on the Pinterest 5:2 pages! :)
Jo
21 Jan 2013, 09:22
Morning all! :) Looking forward to a fast today after a big old roast yesterday evening - although strangley I went to bed feeling hungry, no idea why.

As usual I'll be fasting through to dinnertime, with the exception of perhaps a low cal hot choc (or half of one) sometime this afternoon if I need it. Tonight's dinner will be another slice of that lovely vege mince lasagne I made last week with peas and homemade wedges. Looking forward to it!

I need to pop out to the shops later but there's still some snow on the ground which tells me it's another cold one - and I always feel colder on my fasts so maybe I'll just get my husband to pick up a bit of shopping on his way home ;) I might just do some stepping later on in the warm instead!
21 Jan 2013, 10:13
I am fasting today after a weekend of feasting. A three day marathon of partying to celebrate my mum's 70th birthday which ended with an Indian takeaway last night.

I will fast all day and eat my 500 calories in a meal about 6pm tonight. I am thinking possibly tortiall pizza with lots of veg and sprinkling of cheese or poached eggs on toast.

Black coffee and hot cordial should get me through this snow day until then.

Good Luck fellow fasters.
21 Jan 2013, 10:19
Today is my third fast day and it's a snow day! (Hooray) so it's my first being at home all day. I also got up later than normal so I think I'm not going to have breakfast and might see if I can last all the way to the evening.
Moogie, I know what you mean about big meals making you hungrier. I've always found that if I have a huge evening meal, I'm always ravenous first thing in the morning. But with this fast I'm finding that the next day my appetite has decreased. And by the time I can have my normal breakfast, I could take it or leave it.
Though, my housemate has just gone past me with a slice of toast. It smells sooo good :( But no. I'm not going to give in! This is the problem with being at home, there are too many temptations around. At work there aren't and I can keep myself busy.
On ready meals, I hadn't really thought of those.. I generally prefer to make my own food anyway. I suppose the advantage of them is they clearly layout their content but part of the joy of food is doing it myself, even if it's just steaming some veg and adding an egg. Right must stop thinking about food and do some work. Have fun everyone!
21 Jan 2013, 10:59
Hi everyone :)

Fasting today too. Going to have lunch and dinner. I have my son at home due to the snow, so this is the first time I've had him around. LOL, I hope it's not too stressful.

I must admit I don't eat ready meals, I worry about what they add, however; I can see myself going for a weight watchers creamy chicken hotpot. Good luck everyone. x
21 Jan 2013, 11:11
Snow and fast day here too!

I've done an hour of brisk walking on the treadmill and half an hour of bouncing around the garden throwing snowballs for the dogs to chase and catch :P

They've both been scrubbed with a towel and are flat out on the sofa while I have green tea with a slice of lemon.

Not sure what to eat later but I think I'll leave thinking about it for a bit because I don't know what I fancy .. there's plenty in I can rustle into something tasty so I've no chance of making a bad choice when I get peckish :D

Good luck fasters, wrap up warm and stay away from yellow snow :roll:
21 Jan 2013, 11:25
F-f-f-f-f-f- freezing! Doesn't really help, does it? :(

Summer will be a breeze.

I notice I'm working away quite well and alert without food - except for looking at this blog. :)

Must get back to the grindstone.
21 Jan 2013, 11:31
I'm on week 2, fasting today. I have a small pot of philly, a couple of oatcakes and a tangerine to have for my lunch and I have to say it can't come soon enough! I hope I get to the point where my body gets used to the fasting and I'm not starving hungry all day soon, I'm finding it hard at the moment!!!!
21 Jan 2013, 11:38
Hi Karengi and welcome to the forums & the 5:2 way of life :) I'm sure your body will get used to dismissing the hunger pangs soon. I don't tend to get them on a fast day anymore, they stopped about a month or so in. That said, I've had a couple of pangs today, but I suspect I may have a bit of a cold/bug so maybe that's why.

Just keep drinking lots of water and remember it's mind over matter, you're not going to starve :)

I'm hoping to finish off the weight progress tracker system for here at the forums today. The individual aspect of it is done, ie you can track & chart your weight etc. I just need to make set up the forum-wide stats/charts. Hopefully a quiet day at work (from home) and time to do a bit of work on this instead ;)
21 Jan 2013, 11:51
I still get a few hunger pangs around the normal meal times but find they are fairly easy to ignore now I know that they just go away and don't get stronger and stronger!
21 Jan 2013, 12:19
Thanks Moogie & carorees. I'm sure I will get used to it and I do believe that it is mind over matter as you say I'm most definitely not going to starve!
21 Jan 2013, 12:44
Yes, I am starving here! Trying to last out until tea time. Will I make it? :o

I guess if I don't eat the feeling will subside.

Hope so.

I would go for a walk but sleet looks v uninviting ... :(
41 posts Page 1 of 3