The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 10 of 96
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
07 Jan 2014, 23:14
Hmm, think I just heard hubs throwing the scales somewhere..

Never mind, I have the tools to do without them now x
carorees wrote:
wildmissus wrote:
To the people who have been doing this before a couple questions -

1. Is it better to low carb or low GI? Having read a bit about both they do conflict a bit - there are foods that have quite a lot of carb but low GI, ie. they don't cause the insulin levels to spike.

2. Lunchtime ideas please. I am a soupaholic. What can I have to replace the solid food (bread or crackers) I normally have with it?

Thanks

The "standard" response would be that low glycaemic load is most important because GL takes account of the total carb content. However, I think that if the total load is low, a small insulin spike won't do much harm as long as it doesn't trigger carb cravings.

This website by Patrick Holford who promotes a low GL diet, which has worked really well for my cousin who has type 2 diabetes, has done good ideas for low GL foods: https://www.patrickholford.com/topic/low-gl
He suggests oatcakes or rye bread instead of bread.

Oooh! WOOF! Am I allowed to promote my own low-carb oat-bran / linseed / soya bread recipe?

It's not Hovis or artisan-speciale but it sure deals with my bread cravings and a whole wee loaf (~150g) comes in at about 23g of carb - which *I think* is the equivalent to about a standard slice and a half of normal bread (I don't count Slimcea or Nimble as bread, they're air bubbles with wheat surrounds). I'd generally not want to eat more than a quarter, at most a third, mini-loaf in one sitting (okay, my appetite is reduced but even the old FatDog would have been grossly stuffed after a half).

Add to that, it doesn't have any rubbish in it (unless you put it in there!) and it takes just a few minutes to prep and then a few minutes in the microwave. I reckon it's a pretty darn good alternative to bought, or even oven-cooked, conventional bread (oh, and if you get gluten free guaranteed oats, it's gluten free). I haven't costed it yet, but don't *think* it's remotely OTT; the organic eggs bump costs up slightly - if I didn't mind chicken torture the cost would be dramatically reduced.

progress-f4/topic6427-465.html#p129271

FatDog wrote: Monday, low-carb day one-hundred and seventy-six, repair day

oat bran, linseed & soya loaf, no. 2, microwave version
soya flour, 424c/C16.0/F20.0/P39.0/Fi12.0/100g
......... 30g 127.20 4.80 6.00 11.70 3.60
linseed, brown, fresh ground, 534c/C1.5/F42.16/P18.29/Fi27.3/100g
......... 40g 213.60 0.60 16.86 7.32 10.92
oat bran, Holland & Barrett, 389.2c/C59.1/F6.5/P12.6/Fi9.3/100g
......... 30g 116.76 17.73 1.95 3.78 2.79
eggs, brown, organic, 151c/C0.0/F11.2/P12.5/Fi0.0/100g
......... 53g 80.03 0.00 5.94 6.63 0.00
baking powder
......... 8ml 0.00 (ed. was 5ml)
water
......... 40ml or enough to make a sloppy dough (ed. was 50ml) 0.00
olive oil, 824c/C0.0/F91.6/P0.0/Fi0.0/100ml
......... 5ml 41.20 0.00 4.58 0.00 0.00
salt
......... goodly pinch of 0.00
total for oat bran, linseed & soya loaf, no. 2, microwave version 578.79 23.13 35.33 29.42 17.31
FatDog's ½ portion of oat bran, linseed & soya loaf, no. 2, microwave version 289.40 11.57 17.67 14.71 8.66

Method: 1. thoroughly mix dry-stuff together in a microwaveable dish, of a suitable shape for your mini-loaf; 2. in another bowl, beat the egg, oil and water; 3. thoroughly mix the wet stuff into the dry stuff - you're after a "just wet enough to shake down into form" batter; 4. ping for two minutes, rest a bit in the open to let some of the damp off, then ping for another minute.

You should be able to slice it once it has cooled a little. It tastes wonderfully like a brown wholemeal bread - no egginess at all. Rather pleased with this.

Ping time may vary, according to your microwave - I'd maybe revise this time up a little and, if you've a microwaveable rack, bung the loaf on that for the second pinging.

And I keep forgetting the oil - which makes it slightly (but, sadly, not much) more repair day friendly) - and it's fine without - just a tad drier.
08 Jan 2014, 01:02
Wendy Darling wrote: I'm going to have do this slowly like rawkaren suggested. I'm not even used to counting calories, let alone carbs and I think I will get confused if I try to do it all at the same time. I am so afraid of not eating enough of the right things and at the moment I am really unable to let go of the 'fat is bad thing' that I have 'known' is 'right' for years! It is so ingrained that I'm not sure I can get over it. So...... For now I am going to continue with what I had been doing which is not eating any bread, pasta, rice or potatoes during the week and little if any at weekends. I am sure that in time the low carb thing will come to me. Meanwhile, I will be in the tent/teepee/marquee watching and learning. Been a good day in here. Thanks all

I like this approach Wendy Darling. I feel the same way. I don't really want to count anything. Having done a low carb diet before, I know what to avoid, and can look up anything I'm unsure of.
08 Jan 2014, 07:52
FatDog wrote:
jeninboston wrote: I'd like to join please

I looked over MFP and my food is made up of upto 40% carbs, still even though I avoid eating breads, pasta, rice etc. It was quite a surprise to see my average carb intake is about 150 grams.

So I'm not quite sure how to do this a for example, on my fast days (I do a juice fast), I use apples, carrots, tomatoes , radish, kale, spinach, celery ... all of these have huge amounts of carbs; even half a cucumber is showing as 3g, a lemon 5g, a cup of kale 7g.

I know greens are good for you, I could cut down the amount of apple and carrot and increase the cucumber/kale etc but its still going to add up

I need to re-think this and keep a closer eye on it

Hi @jeninboston, I think you'll find that that is the problem with juicing - one is essentially squishing out the "sugar water" and leaving the fibre behind so one a) tends to juice *lots* of veggies / fruit and thus bump up the carb / calories and b) lose lots of the good stuff in the lumpy bits left behind.

Personally, whenever I see a juicer I'm tempted to vandalise it as I think they're eeeevil :)

Get a decent blender (as close to Vitamix as you can afford) and use the whole fruit / vegetable, that way your calories and carbs won't skyrocket, along with your food bill. I'm not a wholefood freak, but genuinely believe the more *whole* your fruits / veggies are when you consume them, the better: i.e. eat that bloomin' apple, don't juice it, likewise dunk that broccoli floret in some humous, for goodness sake. I do, however, understand that there are times when it's easier to take the short-cut, though I find myself doing it less and less now.

I've a £15 charity store effort (Cuisinart soup maker, retailed at about £160) and the "smoothies" aren't silken, but they more than do. I believe that Lakeland do reasonable beasties, and there's a thread somewhere on here about Vitamix-a-likes.

Hi @jeninboston
I'm with @fatdog on this one. Blend rather than juice and better still, eat your fruit instead and just blend your veggies.

There are some photos on the web somewhere that show a liver damaged by excess fructose. It's one of the reasons I stopped juicing. Fructose is fine digested with fibre, but I no longer go overboard. If you have time and like your research, watch Lustig's lecture on you tube about sugar. There is also a thread on the forum somewhere.
08 Jan 2014, 08:00
@wildmissus Lunch ideas : when I was Atkins a fee years ago I used to have last nights left overs within the frying pan with an egg cracked on top, and a bit of green salad. Made from some odd meals but I always really enjoyed them, specially in the winter. Today I've brought in a couple of hard boiled eggs, ripe tomato and desert spoon of mayo. I might have some soup from the canteen if its low-carb
08 Jan 2014, 08:20
Oo- er! Definite change in the 'transit' department :shock: - hopefully not for long! As if we need more wind up here in Northumberland :shock: :shock: :wink:
08 Jan 2014, 08:24
Ah. Best invest in some magnesium supplements.....
08 Jan 2014, 09:10
Good Morning to the 'Daily Carb Blab' mob,

We are off into town today so lunch will be a roast chicken breast, without the skin, and a light, undressed salad. This will be my 3rd day of mega low carb, for me, and so far, so good. Still got a belly to rival 'Octomom' just before she shed her load and a spare tyre that 'Goodyear' could use in its advertising but I am determined to give this my best shot, after which I will admit defeat and purchase something which resembles, what my mother used to call, her '18hour girder'! :lol:

Have a great day one and all,

Belly dancer x :heart:
08 Jan 2014, 09:14
Measured my waist just now - 36"!! It's growing. This is not good :0(
08 Jan 2014, 11:28
A low carb feast today to compensate for yesterday's half pizza
steamed chicken breast with steamed cauliflower and carrots. Only fresh herbs and a touch of lemon juice to add taste and it'll be the perfect low carb meal for me :heart:

I read that apples are not in the list, that's a shame, really, I would love to have a granny smith with peanut butter as a snack this afternoon :razz:
08 Jan 2014, 11:56
Advice please ladies!

I have done every other day fasting for the last week. I have been pretty good on all days and haven't stuffed myself silly or gone mad on carbs. I have been drinking shed loads of water as it is so hot here but I feel like a zeppelin, bloated and puffy. I am a tad 'bunged up' :confused: and am not sure what to do.
Any thoughts? :starving: :?: :curse: :oops:
08 Jan 2014, 12:58
Magnesium tablets do it for me! Plus magnesium helps with sleep and various nerve health things so it's win, win!
08 Jan 2014, 13:16
Azureblue wrote: Measured my waist just now - 36"!! It's growing. This is not good :0(

Oh heck AzB, that is truly NOT right! Hope things improve for you soon. I plan to do as many very low carb days as I can throughout January and then reassess the situation. So far, zilch off the old middle but it is early days for low-low carb.

Belly dancer x :heart:
08 Jan 2014, 13:24
The only issue I have with low carbs meal is that I have terrible hunger pangs less than 2 hours after a meal until the next meal. It's much worse than on fast days for example.
08 Jan 2014, 13:56
Debs wrote: Advice please ladies!

I have done every other day fasting for the last week. I have been pretty good on all days and haven't stuffed myself silly or gone mad on carbs. I have been drinking shed loads of water as it is so hot here but I feel like a zeppelin, bloated and puffy. I am a tad 'bunged up' :confused: and am not sure what to do.
Any thoughts? :starving: :?: :curse: :oops:

I'm with carorees on magnesium. Hope you de bloat soon @debs.
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 10 of 96