The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1123 posts Page 70 of 75
Previous 1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 75 Next
Re: Sassy Seniors Sanctuary
01 Dec 2014, 14:38
Some here might recall that last year I was apprehensive about Thanksgiving weekend in the presence of a toxic family member who creates a stress zone wherever she goes.

I'll confess now that it's OH's ex-wife whom we used to be friendly with until we realized that she caused him so much stress that we decided last year that we will see her now only on obligatory family occasions, not adding in the theater weekends in the Berkshires, at the seashore, etc. as we had been for nearly 40 years. That kind of family holiday made sense when his DD's were teenagers, but they are in their 50's now!

Anyway, she was worse than ever this past weekend--sort of like a bomb that we all have to tiptoe around. She can highjack the most innocuous conversation and turn it into a diatribe that's all about her and her (negative) opinions--then be very offended if anyone doesn't agree with her. We all try not to respond, but sometimes somebody gets annoyed and a row ensues.

So good to be home. I just feel bad for my darling stepdaughters who have to deal with this all the time. We, at least, can escape. They are on the phone with her a lot, listening to her complaints. Actually, I feel sorry for her--she's turning 80 in April and is so angry, hostile, and disappointed with her life; but it's easier to feel sympathetic from a distance.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!
01 Dec 2014, 14:45
Aw Marybeth i DO remember the apprehension about last TG...
you have been so reasonable and kind to have 40 yrs of an ex wife joining in all kinds of stuff,and doing it for the sake of her girls...they may be darlings but i think you're an absolute darling stepmom! And an all round kind and charitable person
It must be heaven to be back home! X X
30 Dec 2014, 12:22
Marybeth I hope you had an enjoyable & restful Christmas with no family causing stress. :smile:
I would also like to wish a Happy New Year to all SSS's! I have been absent most of December because of a hectic run up to Christmas after returning from a fabulous holiday in Japan on an archaeological based trip learning all about Japan's past history. We didn't fast on the trip & not much throughout December so we are back in a fasting routine now to try & lose the extra pounds gained. I also have some new weight scales that show all measurements & for the first time can evaluate my body fat that seems largely external rather than clustered internally which is good news. However still another 2-3 stone to try & lose this year to finally get to my goal weight & then the challenge of maintaining that weight so I'm going to be around for awhile. My OH & I are just getting over head colds that our son left behind after staying with us a few days before Christmas :grin: poor him because his pregnant wife also caught it & possibly her family as well where they spent Christmas.
How are you all getting on with the much colder weather here in the UK?
30 Dec 2014, 16:05
@CandiceMarie I've been meaning to thank you for your kind words, but I seem to procrastinate a lot. :oops: You are one of the kindest people on this forum--always sympathetic and supportive. As regards said toxic person, her DD's persuaded her to see a therapist--they are very concerned that her always-difficult personality is now showing signs of severe depression. She kept her first appointment and has made a second appointment--so maybe she will be able eventually to feel happier and to be easier to be around. OH and I will continue to keep our distance for our own mental health!

@Isis Our Christmas holiday was stress free, thank you. We attended a "family" movie (ugh) with DD, SIL and grand children, then went to DS's house where he and DIL hosted us all for dinner and exchanging gifts. It was great fun.
Tomorrow night we are going to a NYE event http://argosinn.com/event/nye-shindig/ that's only a block and a half away--so no driving. At our age, 7:30 to 9 or so sounds good--perhaps with a stop at restaurant for dessert on the way home. I wonder if the band will play anything danceable. The venue looks like it has lounges and large hallways and parlors with wood floors--maybe someone will get up and dance (could be us!)

Your trip to Japan sounds wonderful--I'm green with envy. An archaeological tour would be just what we would like.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Happy New Year all!
01 Jan 2015, 09:46
Happy 2015 everyone!
Let's have a good one :0)
03 Jan 2015, 09:44
Thank you Azureblue & a Happy New Year to you :smile:
I'm currently going backwards weight wise having put on a pound this week with eating too many left overs & biscuits! I also abandoned my fast yesterday because of the cold my OH & I are still recovering from :frown: We are both left with ongoing coughs no doubt getting rid of the catarrh detritus but it's very frustrating continuing to cough & blow our noses. I don't feel I can get back on my exercise bike until I'm fully recovered but will have to do much better food wise next week to start losing my Christmas weight gain & at the moment I'm back to what I weighed in April last year so not at all good!
04 Jan 2015, 09:19
{hugs} to @Isis and hope you feel better soonest. I understand your alarm as I'm the same after a gain of 2 kgs through autumn and Xmas so I surprised myself with a 23 hour fast yesterday. Trouble is I'd made a chicken crockpot that I rather dived into which went on to dessert and later cheese on buttered rice cakes, all real food I hasten to add, but deliciously wanton!
I'll be weighing shortly ...
72.9kgs, better, right direction.
Onwards and downwards m'dears :0)
04 Jan 2015, 14:12
Thank you Azureblue :smile: We are improving each day & coughing less.
We have just returned from a roast lunch at our local pub/restaurant in our village which saved me from cooking today :grin: We have also taken down our Christmas decorations & it looks really bare & rather sad now but all part of getting back into our usual routine. We will fast tomorrow & my OH goes back to work on Tuesday for three months & then officially retires! We will then have no excuse to not join a local walking group & be able to be more spontaneous with joining in U3A stuff & look forward to our granddaughter 's birth in April/May. Getting fitter & losing the rest of my weight will be much needed in the future running around after a toddler & making our house child safe again :shock: :lol: A good focus for me to make sure my new weight scales show a reducing me! I hope your next weigh in is a good one!
04 Jan 2015, 17:04
Wow @Isis, what a year 2015 is going to be for you and OH ~ fantastic, and a new grandchild is always a joy :0D
:handshake: :star: :bunny: :drink: :island: :lion:
04 Jan 2015, 20:13
Busy year ahead, @Isis. :smile:

I have a complaint! Not a medical one! For Christmas I received some scales which show body fat %. Can anyone who has a 'normal' BMI really have a body fat% of over 40%? Added to that, I went for my NHS 'Senior's' Health Check just before Christmas and the nurse said that I should ideally be ten stone 2 pounds for my height.

I have been very happy maintaining around ten stone seven (apart from my legendary weight gains when on holiday :shock: ), but now I have to decide whether to try to achieve this impossible dream of 142 pounds, which may bring down my body fat %, or just be happy at 147 pounds where all my clothes fit and it's not too hard to maintain.

Any views, anyone? :?:
04 Jan 2015, 20:31
Hey stowy@StowgateResident five pounds over ideal weight? I wdnt worry..
They say there's a four lb over / under thing going on all the time..so some dats you will weigh four pounds under 10 7 anyways!
Your last comment "just be happy etc says it all! Thats fab,believe me, just enjoy the results of your efforts.
I am restarting tomozz after putting back on ALL the two stone i lost (between sept- dec 2013) during 2014!
I need to be like you and put in some steady focused fasting,get weight down and keep it down! X
05 Jan 2015, 13:30
@StowgateResident Your BMI is well within the normal range and I believe there is some evidence that a BMI slightly over the normal range is associated with increased longevity as we get older so I don't know where the nurse has got that figure from ! I think you're doing fine!
05 Jan 2015, 15:00
Thanks for your support, @Lil and @CandiceMarie. I have decided to lose my three pounds to get back to target and then just keep gently fasting a couple of times a week and see how far I can go towards 10 stone, 2 pounds. I have no holidays, or family visits, planned for a few months so it will be interesting to see how I get on - and if I don't make it then eating more healthily and doing a bit more exercise has got to be good for me anyway!
Good luck to you both, whether maintaining or losing, this WOL is the way to go! :victory:
07 Jan 2015, 09:57
StowgateResident wrote: Busy year ahead, @Isis. :smile:

I have a complaint! Not a medical one! For Christmas I received some scales which show body fat %. Can anyone who has a 'normal' BMI really have a body fat% of over 40%? Added to that, I went for my NHS 'Senior's' Health Check just before Christmas and the nurse said that I should ideally be ten stone 2 pounds for my height.

I have been very happy maintaining around ten stone seven (apart from my legendary weight gains when on holiday :shock: ), but now I have to decide whether to try to achieve this impossible dream of 142 pounds, which may bring down my body fat %, or just be happy at 147 pounds where all my clothes fit and it's not too hard to maintain.

Any views, anyone? :?:

Lots of views! If your waist is less than half your height I'd just keep on like you have been, if not then yes maybe you could try to lose a bit more but not if it means making things unsustainable. The difference in mortality risk between being a normal BMI and an overweight one is very small, so the difference to your health between 10'7 and 10'2 will be vanishingly small.
07 Jan 2015, 10:47
Dear God/VaryFairy/Fate,
Please may I lose 8 unwanted pounds of gloopy yucky weight and see 10 stone something on the scales once again this year please.
Please.
I promise to be a good Mummy/Grandma/ human bean and eat all my greens.
Love+xx

73.2kgs/11st 7lbs today :0(
Previous 1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 75 Next
1123 posts Page 70 of 75