The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

99 posts Page 2 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Next
That reminds me again! On high days and holidays we had Tizer in an old fashioned bottle, then we got money back when we returned it. Forget how much - and it was old money, too!
:heart: Yes @PennyForthem Tizer + Jusoda + Vimto
Hated Vimto @Sue.Q, tasted like medicine to me! Love your new avatar though! :like: :like:
Oh my word. The problem with all these memories is that I am just about to go to the gym and have decided that its just enough time to do a home made rice pudding and we will all fight over the skin.
Vesta curry's, that brings back memories. I still cook the old stuff, so its not really old. But I do remember when spaghetti bolognaise was the IN thing and garlic bread was so very chic.
I am racking my brains to remember something I did or had that is no longer around. I will get back to that, as I said, I am off to the gym and need to throw some rice, milk, butter and nutmeg in a bowl.
Sue.Q wrote: :heart: Yes @PennyForthem Tizer + Jusoda + Vimto

Not forgetting Dandelion and Burdock :victory:
Wagon Wheels that were as big as your face, well they seemed that big. I don't care what the company says, they HAVE shrunk and now are no more bigger than some cookies.
AND there isn't as much orange on a Jaffa Cake as there used to be!!!!!
Fruit polo's.
Squash (cordial) that actually had sugar and no sweetener. Its been a long time since I saw a kids drink that didn't have sweetener of some kind or other in it. Even Robinsons now has sweeteners.
Mmmm, just eating a bag of Quavers I found in Adelaide!! Yum! Our milkman always brought Corona drinks to the house and picked up the bottles. Do they still have milkmen?
yuumm! I remember quavers @Debs being an old Adelaide girl.

My mum would boil up a batch of beetroot every Friday night to then add the sugar and keep cold as a salad.

But everybody Friday night, she would fall asleep in front of the black and white TV and burn the beetroot!! I can still smell it today! Revolting!

You can't buy memories like that!
cheers
Maggie :smile: :smile:
And what would you want to pay for them anyway?!!! Yes, I too remember the smell of burnt beet root, funny that, not something that I would have thought of but I can still remember it clearly! I don't much like beetroot!
For the Americans out there, the cafeteria at work today made a dessert that looked exactly like a hoho. Thankfully there was another American nearby when I made my "that looks like a hoho" comment, because no one else knew what I meant.

My mom also makes a really good lemon meringue pie. I don't make pies because I don't do rolling pins. My favorite savory "comfort food" dish my mom makes is homemade noodles, and it also involves a rolling pin.

My family has always been adventurous with foreign food since we lived in Japan twice while I was growing up. When we lived in Japan we had Korean neighbors on one side and Mexican on the other. I've been eating sashimi, kimchi, and tomales since I was 8.
That reminds me - my mom bought yogurt back when it was a strange ethnic food (at least in the US). It was only made by Dannon, there was a flavor called Prune Whip (good, actually), and for about 50 years I've been a fan of their coffee yogurt. No other company has ever carried a basic coffee yogurt. This year they discontinued it, in favor of some extra sweetened "cappachino vanilla latte delight" sort of thing. I'm so mad (can you tell?)!!
I remember the early days of yoghurt in the US, too. My mom insisted that we drink a big glass of milk every day well into our teens. I hate milk, and was forever trying to convince her that I would be happy to eat yoghurt and cottage cheese instead. She rarely bought either of them, though. I like coffee yoghurt, too, though I don't remember it from back then. We always got plain or fruity flavors.
We used to have Sunday lunch at my Nans.I remember lots of Yorkshire Pudding,she used to make them in big roasting tins.there would be a piece for starters with gravy on. Then slice on the roast dinner.Then for pudding a piece with fruit cooked in it,usually Apple slices or blackberries that grandad had been out picking. The fruit slice we had with cold milk or homemade raspberry vinegar on it.
Chris x
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Next
99 posts Page 2 of 7