The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

99 posts Page 5 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
True Twinkie Story. There is a guy at work who has had a Twinkie sitting on his window seal for over 7 years. It is hard as a rock but has not lost its shape. How does that make you feel about preservatives? Admittedly, I loved Twinkies before I found out I had Celiacs...but this may have given me pause.
Indeed I did, @Maryann, but as I mentioned earlier, my parents were a little ahead of their time in some ways, including nutritionally, and I don't think I have EVER tasted either one!!

Here's a great fast food story, as long as we are telling stories here:
When my eldest was about 14, she was babysitting two boys who lived around the corner from the fast food joint. The mom gave my daughter some money and told her to take the boys over there for dinner. She ordered "two one-fourth pounders". She had never been to a fast food hamburger place, and was unaware that the order should have been for "two quarter pounders". Then the non-native English speaker at the cash register handed her 8 hamburgers!

We've been laughing ever since. :lol: :lol: :lol:
my mom was quite strict about sweets being home-made the few times we were allowed to have them, but I used to get things like this at friends' houses. I never cared for twinkies or snoballs, but I loved the chocolatey ones like hohos and ding dongs. I'm going to google images for all the British sweets now...
When I was a young pure and innocent girl, so a long log time ago, we used to go skiing 10 days a year. We went to the mountains not far from Switzerland, my godmother lives in Switzerland, waking up a 4:00AM on the 26th December and coming back just the day before going back to school. I was looking forward these holidays much more than Christmas eve or even Christmas day. There, we went every day after 5 hours skiing in a little restaurant/bar where I would have either a chocolate mousse to die for or a blueberry pie that is still my favorite 30 years later.

And now I have a sudden craving, don't know why..... :razz: :grin:
Azureblue wrote: Crickey yes I remember all this stuff too. Sunday tea was tinned fruit cocktail with vanilla ice cream, bread and butter and jam, slice of cake, cup of tea.
:bugeyes:


YES!! Sunday tea - exactly that! With the addition of 'salad' (the only time we ever had it) - which consisted of a few whole lettuce leaves from a round lettuce, tomatoes (whole - which frustrated me as our tea knives were never sharp enough to cut them), slices of cucumber and mustard and cress. Heinz salad cream for those who wanted me (not me!) - no other seasoning :grin:
Oh I almost forgot - re Sunday 'Tea' - slices of pickled beetroot swimming in vinegar and turning everything on the plate purple! :lol: :shock:
Not food but I remember getting a much wished for Pogo stick for Christmas one year....... i bounced up and down up and down up and down all over the house on it - I am sure Mum thought I would end up in the cellar through the floorboards and wished she had never bought the damned thing :grin: Dad then proceeded to stuff all the discarded Chrismtas wrapping paper into the big box it came in and threw it outside ready for the binmen after christmas. wasn't until later that they couldn't find Twinkle the cat. poor thing was jammed solid into the bottom of the box with about a ton of wrapping paper on top of him outside in the cold :frown:
BlueHeather wrote: Not food but I remember getting a much wished for Pogo stick for Christmas one year....... i bounced up and down up and down up and down all over the house on it - I am sure Mum thought I would end up in the cellar through the floorboards and wished she had never bought the damned thing :grin: Dad then proceeded to stuff all the discarded Chrismtas wrapping paper into the big box it came in and threw it outside ready for the binmen after christmas. wasn't until later that they couldn't find Twinkle the cat. poor thing was jammed solid into the bottom of the box with about a ton of wrapping paper on top of him outside in the cold :frown:


That is hysterical :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope Twinkle was okay.
My daughter once pogo-ed 1000 times without stopping. Now I want to text her - after she's done with work - and remind her of that :lol:
When we were at my gran's we always had drop scones with syrup for Sunday tea. They were swimming in butter too... oh, golly gosh...
Oh dear, er we STILL have Sunday tea: a boiled egg, bread and cheese with peanut butter and/or jam (usually had whilst watching Antiques Roadshow). You wouldn't think I was still in my forties...but I do live with my parents!

Bean :bugeyes:
@nursebean any news yet?
When I was a child on Sundays we used to have toast done on the gas fire, it was warm sat in front of the glow and the pattern on the toast was fun . The butter would soak in and dribble down my arm. And real butter as no marg yet. We used a big special toasting fork too.
Sorry @PennyForthem. What news?
nursebean wrote: Oh dear, er we STILL have Sunday tea: a boiled egg, bread and cheese with peanut butter and/or jam (usually had whilst watching Antiques Roadshow). You wouldn't think I was still in my forties...but I do live with my parents!

Bean :bugeyes:


Oh how nice @nursebean i often think about resurrecting sunday tea x
@carieoates Toast made on the fire..gorgeous..tasted different from toaster/ grill toast..and yes,butter always..which tasted better back then than it does now..x
carieoates wrote: When I was a child on Sundays we used to have toast done on the gas fire, it was warm sat in front of the glow and the pattern on the toast was fun . The butter would soak in and dribble down my arm. And real butter as no marg yet. We used a big special toasting fork too.

Oh yes, toast done on a toasting fork in front of the fire with corned beef legs to go with it! :bugeyes: :shock:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
99 posts Page 5 of 7
Similar Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!

cron