The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

99 posts Page 4 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mmmmmm thanks for the pictures... i think they all look yummy, if a bit sickly! Sort of addictive-looking in all the wrong ways!
What a sillybilly i am tho...had to listen to the clip again and yes i can hear where the Hi Ho song comes from now that you've mentioned it! X
Ooh I'm loving this thread, it's making me laugh so hard - rissoles, waggon wheels, Vesta curries and sugar sandwiches :lol:
And yes I loved a visit to the sweet shop - fruit salad and blackjacks 4 for a penny, aniseed balls, white mice and those sherbet dips that made an almighty mess!
Actually I remember our (primary school) headmaster used to call us into his office sometimes and present us with sweeties as a reward if we'd done something good - he'd be had up in court for that these days! :shock: :shock: Poor Mr Horan, he was so nice! :grin:
Just remembered - the original Lucozade! We were only allowed it if we were ill - special treat - but these days it tastes entirely different. It was like nectar then! And that lovely orange colour! :grin:
D'you remember when cereal was the proper size? I recently poured Cornflakes into my bowl: They looked like crumbs! what has HAPPENED to them? Same with weetabix. I'm sure they used to be much bigger...and Shredded Wheat...and Snickers (aka Marathon).

Is it me? Bean :confused: :confused:
You don't even want to know what they've done to 'Special K' either! It tastes completely different now and like your cornflakes @nursebean the flakes are much bigger too!
I grew up in the 80s and I think I had a childhood that someone much older than me would recognise. My mum was what they used to call a 'good plain cook' - most things were homemade, and pretty basic at that. Always a homemade cake in the cake tin, probably from the Be-Ro or Good Housekeeping book. We never ate out - I can only remember going to a Beefeater about twice before the age of 10, and we always had puddings - rice pudding, semolina, suet puddings (sweet and savoury). Cheap and filling - looking back I don't think mum have much money to play with, she didn't work and dad wasn't probably paid much.

However, we also had things like packet cheesecakes, mousses from the freezer shop (that came in stacks of 10, defrosted during the morning and had a big dent like the bottom of a wine bottle in the bottom of the pot so it was actually only half as big as it looked), got 10p for sweets on a Friday (there was an exact penny to sweet correlation in those days), and I also was allowed to be quite fussy and not eat most veg, mainly cos my mum was, and still is, a big softie. She does wish she was tougher with us as, whilst I have grown to like lots of veg now, my brother still won't eat much that's green.

I suppose in a way your food experiences do help mould the way you view food now. I was always taught how to bake - and now I must go and remove my home baked rye/white bread out the oven!
Oh yes @Greenmonster I can definitely relate! We very rarely went out for meals and when we did we would dress for the occasion...why it was a big event! And I LOVED semolina (still do actually) and it's funny because recently we bought one of those cheesecake packs. Still pretty good!

What's sad with me, is I can remember what type of meals we had whilst watching certain programmes and so these programmes remind me of food! For example, Antiques Roadshow = boiled egg and slices of bread and peanut butter and jam...yum, yum

Bean :starving:
Crickey yes I remember all this stuff too. Sunday tea was tinned fruit cocktail with vanilla ice cream, bread and butter and jam, slice of cake, cup of tea.
:bugeyes:
nursebean wrote: Oh yes @Greenmonster I can definitely relate! We very rarely went out for meals and when we did we would dress for the occasion... :starving:

we always dressed up too when we was growing up - I loved my dark blue velvet dress when I was a kid. And me and my sis could have anything on the menu, but always choose grilled sausages with pommes frites and parsley butter. Always ;)
Isn't it funny the sort of things you choose when you're a kid! When I was small I had to go to A&E after I caught my hand in the door (as a result I now have uniquely shaped fingers!). My mum said I could have anything I wanted for being so brave. I chose chewing gum...chewing gum? What WAS I thinking?!

Bean :smile:
Just remembered first experience of proper crèpes suzettes on holiday in Brittany - don't know why that suddenly came up - but we ended up having them almost every day for the rest of the holiday ...
Azureblue wrote: Crickey yes I remember all this stuff too. Sunday tea was tinned fruit cocktail with vanilla ice cream, bread and butter and jam, slice of cake, cup of tea.

That was a typical sunday tea...does anyone still have them
Kinda cosy wasnt it! X :razz:
CandiceMarie wrote:
Azureblue wrote: Crickey yes I remember all this stuff too. Sunday tea was tinned fruit cocktail with vanilla ice cream, bread and butter and jam, slice of cake, cup of tea.

That was a typical sunday tea...does anyone still have them
Kinda cosy wasnt it! X :razz:

Often I feel like all my forum buddies might just live next door. Once in a while, like while reading this thread, I am reminded that most of you are oceans and worlds away. Most of the foods and candies mentioned I've never even heard of.

@CandiceMarie and @Azureblue, I thought "tea" was a meal. Did this carb-fest pass for a meal? Or was it an acknowledged dessert?
Wendyjane, I too smile at myself reading some of these posts. I feel like I'm watching a movie at times:)
I hope you at least recognized hohos and twinkies, @wendyjane
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
99 posts Page 4 of 7