The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

99 posts Page 3 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
@MaryAnn i am screaming laughing about the hohos!
I have driven past a Chinese chip shop called the Ho. Ho..i always wonder if the seven dwarves work there!
Anyone remember Spangles? And Four Mojos for a penny or four Black Jacks..
Bubbly gum called chix and sambo ( wdnt be pc now) also bobbys!
Sweet cigarettes and licquorice pipes! Anyone remember the lovely FloraDora mix and Matinee Selection..
Fruit salad were 4 for a penny too! I loved parma violets and cherry lips. Hated aniseed balls and liquorice!
Oh yeah fruit salad! And four walker caramels for a penny! X
Parma violets on a string which when you were a little girl, you could wear as a necklace. And lemonade powder (very sour) which we called 'Kay-lie' (goodness knows how it was spelled, if indeed it existed in written form!
barbarita wrote: Parma violets on a string which when you were a little girl, you could wear as a necklace. And lemonade powder (very sour) which we called 'Kay-lie' (goodness knows how it was spelled, if indeed it existed in written form!

Don't remember parma violets on a string but something similar called Swizzles? Gosh, sixpence was my pocket money and you could get a bagful of sweets for that !
Oh my, down memory lane; my dad used to hunt elk (älg) when I grew up, so we had that (and some pork) during 10 out of 12 months. Actually loved it, fried beef with caramelized onions - yum. My mom was a home ed teacher so it was all home cooked - from bread to still drinks. We went out to a restaurant 2 times per year, otherwise it was her cooking. Remember with disgust the cooked calf tongue she made when I was little and the fried kidneys my dad insisted of having on his birthdays = gahhhhhh. If there is one thing I can say about moms cooking, it wasn't very much seasoned. When I was 13 she went on a two week class and left me with cooking for the family. I found recipes like Chop Suey and my dad was in 7th heaven. When I moved away from home and they came to visit, my dad was always eating like there was no tomorrow since my food tasted "something" :wink:

Sidenote; to this day cooking is something that somewhat defines me as a person :smile:
My mum and dad were before their time and mum followed an American nutritionist Adelle Davis, have the said book in my hands now 'Lets cook it right'. Off I trotted to school before I was 10 years old with my kibble wheat sandwiches when everyone else had thin white bread and Devon. Our dinner plates sporting 5 different home grown veggies and small portion of protein, lots of salads introduced and boxes of fruit, dad got on board and turned his hand to cooking which we loved and I fondly recall him making chop suey which we kids loved. This book revolutionised how our family ate and gave me great foundations and a love of healthy fresh food.

Am forever grateful as I am fundamentally very healthy as a consequence. Pity I adopted the Pritiken Diet in my 20ies which was low fat and high carb even though I kept up the wheat, pasta, salads, fruit and loads of veggies. Of course I have indulged my sweet tooth, surprisingly less so these days.
@Gillymary, my parents were unusual in many respects, and our diet was better than the standard 60s fare. But not tremendously better - still grew up hating many vegetables because we got only frozen (frozen broccoli would not encourage anyone to like broccoli).

What really makes me feel good, though, is when my kids thank me for giving them good nutrition and an appreciation for real food. They grew up without fast food, with very little junk food at home, and now none of them are picky eaters, and all of them have healthy diets.
Agree @wendyjane as parents we have a responsibility to help our kids develop good eating habits. It is much harder now with fast lives, fast food and all the temptation and the ads. Sadly I see parents often giving their children choices of foods to purchase in supermarket all the options sugar laden and unhealthy. I grateful forever to how my mum and dad opened our eyes, instilled in me a love of fresh wholesome food
gillymary wrote: Agree @wendyjane as parents we have a responsibility to help our kids develop good eating habits. It is much harder now with fast lives, fast food and all the temptation and the ads. Sadly I see parents often giving their children choices of foods to purchase in supermarket all the options sugar laden and unhealthy. I grateful forever to how my mum and dad opened our eyes, instilled in me a love of fresh wholesome food

Agree that it's very hard to help our kids develop good eating habits. And some kids are more "stubborn" than others. One market niche that seems to be growing rapidly is the fast-casual restaurant. In the US, Chipotle and Panera have menus from which you can pick pretty good, reasonably healthy meals. And this place, a local but fast growing chain in Colorado, has great food at a very reasonable price. Hubs and I often share a large salmon bowl with extra veggies, for about $10. Can't beat it.

http://tokyojoes.com/menu-nutrition/bui ... own-bowls/

Apologies for getting way off topic, but this is a discussion I'm always having with whoever is listening. Like you - my captive virtual audience. :lol: :lol:
CandiceMarie wrote: @MaryAnn i am screaming laughing about the hohos!
I have driven past a Chinese chip shop called the Ho. Ho..i always wonder if the seven dwarves work there!
Anyone remember Spangles? And Four Mojos for a penny or four Black Jacks..
Bubbly gum called chix and sambo ( wdnt be pc now) also bobbys!
Sweet cigarettes and licquorice pipes! Anyone remember the lovely FloraDora mix and Matinee Selection..

@CandiceMarie, if you think hohos are funny, you should know about ding dongs.

It's funny how back in the day sweets were really different between the US and UK. I went into a sweet shop in Troon with a bunch of British friends once, and they were clearly on some nostalgia trip, while I was just thinking "this stuff is so gross". I'm sure the same would happen in reverse. [Having said that, while never a big fan of snow balls or twinkies, I always did have a soft spot for a hoho/ding dong/Little Debbie swiss roll.]

And now I have Frohlicher Landmann stuck in my head: http://youtu.be/HKmpQjjQOBA
@MaryAnni enjoyed that little clip x
How wonderful to sit at a piano and play..
But why is it in yr head..was it on a candy advert? X
I need a description of hohos,dingdongs,twinkies and smores! My name is Candy! I have a right to know this info! X
Slightly OT although I recall several posts about him on here a while ago, but on BBC2 this evening at 9pm they're showing 'The Many faces of Dick Emery'. :grin:
Mum's 'curries' consisted of left over lamb, onions, apples and sultanas. The curry powder came out of a tin - Blue for 'madras' I think and pink for 'hot'. Seemed to be no difference, but those curries were manna from heaven! I cannot replicate them now.
Dad was worried about malnutrition and berry berry, so we could only have rice once a month!!

Also, Mondays were 'rissole' days.
Out came the spong mincer, clamped onto the red melamine topped kitchen table, in went the cold meat and it was mixed with breadcrumbs and herbs, shaped into patties and fried.
CandiceMarie wrote: @MaryAnni enjoyed that little clip x
How wonderful to sit at a piano and play..
But why is it in yr head..was it on a candy advert? X
I need a description of hohos,dingdongs,twinkies and smores! My name is Candy! I have a right to know this info! X
The Schumann piece is where the "Hi Ho" song came from. I assume that's what you were referring to when you mentioned the 7 dwarfs.
hoho: Image
dingdong: Image
twinkie: Image
s'more: Image
and for the most disgusting one of all, sno balls: Image
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
99 posts Page 3 of 7