The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

99 posts Page 7 of 7
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Is there anywhere you can still get fish n chips wrapped in newspaper?
Made the contents even more delicious!
And does anyone remember Camp coffee :lol:
And something called Nib-its which were sort of like crisps but not crisps? :?:
Frys five boys chocolate..and frys orange cream..i love orangy chocolate! X
EATING IN THE FIFTIES & SIXTIES...

Curry was a surname.

Take-away was a mathematical problem.

A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

All potato chips were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.

Rice was mainly eaten as a milk pudding.

Calamari was called squid and we used it as fish bait.

A Big Mac was worn when it was raining.

Brown bread was something only poor people ate.

Pasta was unheard of in our country.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold. Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Fish didn't have fingers in those days.

Eating raw fish was called poverty not sushi.

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.

Indian restaurants were only found in India.

Seaweed was not a recognised food.

"Kebab" was not even a word, never mind a food.

Prunes were used as medicinal remedy.

Surprisingly, muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed...

Water came out of the tap.

The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties or sixties ....

Elbows Or Cell phones
Also in the 50s and 60s I was a skinny child, didn't see this fat paunch coming!

P.S. I was tweeting with Zoe Harcombe about fasting and lchf and she recommended the http://www.homodiet.co.za/diet/optimaldiet1.htm of your height in metric (mine is 170cm) less 100 (so = 70) for the amount of protein required a day i.e. 70g per day for me, with the carb intake being half that i.e. 35g and the good fats between 2.5 and 3.5 x 70 = about 210g per day for me. Also she thought my current 2 meals a day would be fine as I'm fasting evening and morning.
As it all seems so logical I thought I'd give it a go. Turns out my ideal weight is probably 70kg + or - 6kg so my current 75.4 is top end of that range.
Wish me luck :0)
Ahh as a child of the 70's sweeties were a "10p mix up " on a Friday no white mice but plenty of shrimps please.

You knew what day of the week it was by what we were having for dinner and the descriptions of curries made me laugh out loud as that was my mothers ... a pound of mince beef, half a pound of sultanas and half a pot of Sharwoods Curry power .. pink ... and wait for it ..Bisto gravy !!!

Sunday tea was always at my Aunty Brideys house ... salad of round lettuce (never washed !!) ... tomatoes ...hard boiled egg .. once slice of industrial ham ... and the only edible bit ... brown soda bread and butter ....yum !

To this day 40 years on I have never ever met anyone who could make soda bread as good as my Aunty Bridey :-)
AB thats interesting @azureBlue...gonna do mine!
Ps me too,skinny as a kid and mainly so in teens,twenties and early thirties.
@redRobin those shrimps were lovely werent they!
And Irish soda bread is gorgeous! X mmmm yummers :razz:
@azureblue..did you notice the change in ratios if youre overweight..
" The main exception from that rule is the state of obesity. In such a case, the proportion between protein and fat should be changed to 1 : 2 in the initial period of 3-4 weeks (by the increase in protein and the reduction in a fat intake), in order to stimulate the catabolism of the stored fat. The amount of carbohydrate should be kept low, preferably at no more then 50 g/day. Subsequently, when the weight loss is well on the way, the amounts of protein and fat can be adjusted to the ideal proportion"
I assume he means that for 60g protein,there should be only 120 g fat (60 x 2 )for the first month ( instead of the 60 x 2.5 - 3.5 = 150 - 210 g fat)? :?:
Have i got that right? X not sure what he means by " the increase of protein" :bugeyes:
Hi CM, I think you have that right as when obese there's plenty of body fat to use up before needing to replenish supplies. As for the protein, hmmm, not sure as the daily amount is based on height not weight ...
I've yet to work out how best to eat doing this, still 18:6 of course for health, but I had too much protein yesterday and not enough fat, a work in progress @CandiceMarie.
Perhaps @carorees can take a glance at it for us and put us straight :0)
From what I'm reading, the amount of protein we need depends on several factors. However, if you are on a calorie restricted diet (i.e., are losing weight), are trying to build muscle or are doing a lot of exercise, you will need a higher protein content. There is a school of thought that elderly people also need more protein as they tend to have less efficient digestion.

The website uses the continental way of estimating your ideal weight which may not hold true for everyone. And sticks to the 1g/fat-free mass calculation for protein requirements. Another way of looking at it is that we need about 15% of our calories to come from protein. So if your TDEE is 1800, that's 1800 x 0.15 = 270 calories from protein. As protein is 4 cals per gram, that makes 67.5g of protein each day. But again, you would need more if you are losing weight.

Various studies have suggested different health outcomes from different protein intakes. However, as with all nutrition studies if you eat more of one thing you're eating less of something else and so it might be the something else that gave the good/bad results.

As protein is so satiating, I recommend anyone who is struggling with the famine effect/cravings to up their protein intake at least for a while.

And remember that 60g of protein does not mean 60g of meat...most of the meat is water so it needs to weigh a good bit more than that!

As for carbs, I would recommend dropping your carbs in increments to find your correct amount. It seems that we all have a point beyond which carbs result in weight gain and this can vary. I would start at 150g and work down dropping by 20g a time until you start to see some weight loss. If you have diabetes, or pre diabetes or are very insulin resistant (if you have a big belly that is a clue that you are) then you may well have to go below 50g per day.

Others will have other viewpoints as there is no real consensus on any of this.
Many thanks for that CR, making sense of it all for us :0)
I thought I'd try the 35g carb a day for a week or so as it's pretty low and I have been on about 80g for a while, my weight is 900g down in 24 hours so far (yippee). Probably up it to 50g carbs then and see how it goes...this is where the myfitnesspal app comes into its own for keeping track of it all.
It's all about the tweaks innit :0)
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
99 posts Page 7 of 7