The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

164 posts Page 4 of 11
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11 Next
Dear @raggy

I have just read through all your posts to give me an idea of your situation and experience.

It seems like you have found fast days difficult a lot of the time. If you are still finding them difficult, may I suggest that you consider just doing one fast a week until you feel comfortable with fasting. And maybe have 600-700 cals, gradually reducing this amount over time. Are you eating lots of veggies as part of your fast day cals? Soups and stir fries can be very filling, with some chicken and fish for protein. The low calorie noodles also help you feel full.

On the non-fast days, try to be governed by your body's hunger signals on when and how much to eat. Assuming you have read all the posts in this thread, you will have read about the Amanda Sainsbury-Salis approach. I really do recommend that you read the books and give her approach a go.

It's great that you are exercising - regular moderate exercise should help with the weight loss.

Definitely get the tape measure happening, as Hazelnut suggested. It certainly sounds like you are losing inches! And perhaps consider not weighing yourself more than once a fortnight.

Weight management is about finding the approach that works for you long term. Those who have had success with 5:2 or other intermittent fasting approaches (or any diet for that matter) are often very keen to promote the strategy that worked for them. But this does not mean it will work for everyone.

I am certainly not trying to put you off fasting - there is good evidence and good science that show it is a strategy that can work. But it seems that not everyone is able to sustain it. If that is the case, we need to try and identify why that is so, and see if we can address those issues.

I lost weight very easily with 5:2 - this approach suited my personality (all or nothing!!! :grin: ). But I have had some trouble maintaining, because I was still letting myself eat too much or eating when not hungry, and then having to fast twice a week or more to lose what I gained. I didn't feel that this was healthy, nor do I like feeling hungry on fast days, so am trying Amanda's approach of getting in tune with my body (surely a good thing to do whatever your weight situation!).

Many in this forum find that going without breakfast works well for them, and that's great. But there are others who do like/need breakfast. I found that I feel much better for having breakfast, rather than putting off eating for as late as I could on non-fast days. I usually have scrambled eggs followed by porridge. Although, yes, once I start eating I do think it would be nice to keep eating, now that I am listening to my body I seem to be able to work out whether that is unsatisfied hunger, or just greed! If I am hungry, then I do eat more (usually fruit or protein), but generally don't need to eat until lunchtime.

Again, it is about finding what works for you. There are many different approaches, and certainly give them a go if they appeal. Maybe an eating window would work better for you? But I would suggest not chopping and changing too much. Make sure you give whatever strategy you decide on a reasonable amount of time for you to be able to evaluate how it is working for you, before trying something else. And don't try to do too much at once - ie eating windows, and fast days and cutting out certain types of food all at the same time. If you want to do all these, ease yourself into it. (Though, having said that, some people find it works to "jump in the deep end" - you need to determine if this is likely to work for you.)

And if it is all getting a bit much, take a break from trying to lose weight and concentrate on maintaining. It is very useful to know what you need to do to maintain, because it can help you identify areas where you can make changes that should help with weight loss. In fact, Amanda suggests taking a break on a regular basis (often the body does it for you, when your weight plateaus...!).

Very best wishes and good luck for finding what is sustainable and helps you be happy and healthy. :clover: :clover:
Popping to to say g'day. I wouldn't say I was 'wobbly'. But I am very interested in all the discussion about Amanda Sainsbury Salis and how@Sassy1 is incorporating these theories with 5:2. I did her method before I found 5:2. I even paid for and signed up to a 3 month supported program, where I emailed her my success diary and she and I exchanged emails. I did lose weight. I think the combination of the two methods is gold. Perhaps I will start another 'success diary'. This is the daily record you keep of what you eat and your hunger and satiety levels before and after eating. It helps me focus on this and it also provides a good picture of the range of foods you are eating and how much fruit and veg. The point she makes about the range is interesting. When we crave or over eat it could be, like Sassy1 says, that you have some nutritional need that is not being met. And that's why it's important to eat a big variety of foods. I know that hunter/gatherers ate a much greater variety of plants than we do, for example. Amanda Sainsbury Salis is quite supportive of IF and I have read a few articles by her to this effect. She is definitely in the anti-diet camp and 5:2 isn't a diet. It's a life style and so is the Don't Go Hungry Diet. I'm going back to re-read my Don't Go Hungry Diet for Life book. That's if I haven't lent it to someone.....
@Sassy1 what a wonderful post and I agree with you 100%. Such sensible advise. :like: :like: :like: :clover: :heart:

I love the fact that on this forum people don't pontificate about 5:2 and appreciate that everyone is different and comes with different emotional and psychological triggers/baggage. Love it.
I am feeling totally blessed to have found this forum and @sassy1 and @hazelnut, you are lovely and I thank you both from the bottom of my heart.
I was up early today and went to the gym, then was on the road for 2.5 hrs to attend a meeting then drive home.... hence the late response.... but I did manage to read your very kind words and fantastic advice both of you and it seriously gave me food for thought (well I cant eat it as Im fasting today :lol: )
I am totally convinced of the health benefits of IF, whichever method one chooses. My mother has dementia and so the health benefits are number one for me.
I am new to dieting, used to go to the gym approx 4-5 times a week until I got made redundant around 2 yrs ago and fell into the habit of late nights and too much alcohol and rubbish foods at 3am ......doing this took its toll I got out of going to the gym as I just felt huge and they can be a very bitchy bunch :(.... so less movement and more crap foods..... not good as I'm only 4'11.
I also started a new business and that can be stressful and on top of that, I decided to go back to the 9-5 full time to get extra money to put into the business, which is doing fine but I'm essentially doing 2 stressful jobs and when I get home I've just cracked open the wine to de-stress...... which is silly because we all know it does not de-stress you.
So my main problem I think is that I've lost a bit then binged on either food or a weekend of too much booze and I put the weight back on.
I've been bouncing around the same weight for the past year if I'm honest but I am postive and the past month has seen a steady decline on the old trendline (despite shooting up and down).
I had a quick look on Amazon for Amanda's book and will be buying a copy tonight!!
I also think I should not be weighing so often as you suggested @sassy1.... its fine when you are loosing for a few days but when you start to then rise for the next few, its just so disheartening and I think sod it and loose focus.
I am learning so much from you guys. Yes its lovely to hear others successes and I do think... that will be me one day..... but on the other hand, I dont want to compare my experience to others, which is what I've been doing.... realistically at my height, I am not going to loose 2lbs per week consistently and its probably going to be slower for me as my TDEE is tiny... I mean.... you could probably get away with feeding a 5 yr old on it!!
On the whole, I eat healthily apart from the age old binge on a pizza or lots of cheese. I love green smoothies and veg and proteins. Its the boozy calories that get me most of the time and so I need to find a way to not do that as a relaxing mechanism, especially of fast days.

So sorry to go on and on but I felt like I was drowning and just not getting anywhere and was feeling useless and hopeless xx
Thank you @Sassy1 for your most eloquent replies and fantastic advice. It seems that a lot of members here, including me, are taking it to heart, reading the books you suggest, and much more.

Once again, thanks so much :like: :heart: :heart:
Well @raggy - the fastday forum strikes again!

I have been on the receiving end of so much support and help on here, so it's lovely to be able to do a little bit for someone else. We are also really lucky to have some very knowledgeable members on here who can give us loads of food for thought...not to mention science and psychology.

What goes around comes around. It is marvellous to read the positivity in your last post. By heck, though, you have a lot on your hands! Am not surprised that a drop of something has become a de-stresser at the end of a hard day. Knowledge is power though! You are now looking inwards and seeing the "why I do what I do". Any insight you can gain will be tremendously helpful I'm sure.

Am very proud of you! You go girl! Xx
Thank you so much @hazelnut20, I actually got a bit teary reading your post. I am sooooo pleased that you can see how I'm feeling ... despite the set backs over the past few months and feeling like I'm treading water with this weightloss thing.... I have been really getting such positivity from this forum of late and its really helping me so much.... you guys honestly just dont know how much xx
There is such great advice and knowledge here and I am no longer feeling all alone with this.
I've made two purchases tonight.... Amanda's book should be arriving in the next few days... thanks for recommending @sassy1. I was trying to read all of the reviews during my coffee breaks at the biz meeting earlier!!!
I also how have a tape measure but am leaving measuring until the morning!! but my clothes are definitely looser so I think I am loosing somewhere.... even if I cant see it.
Thanks you guys for your support, it really really means a lot to me xx :heart: :heart:
This is a great idea.

I joined this forum for this exact reason!
I have been on this lifestyle for 2 years, travelled over seas ate everything but still fasted and lost weight by the end, it was a breeze, but as of late I am having a constant battle with my mind when it comes to fast days... and my mind has been winning, as has the chocolate and salt and vinegar chips!!
But reading all these posts is so reassuring that this is not JUST ME!!
Keep it up !
Well.... Waist measurement appears to be 2 inches smaller than when I started.
I'm not fasting today but being mindful of what I consume
Good luck if you're fasting today. :like:
I am giving thanks for all the helpful comments on the forum but also for the flexibility if this WOL. My Monday fast collapsed because I was hosting my beading group & provided tempting cakes & biscuits so I chose to join in eating some, which I did enjoy, knowing I could change my fast day. So overall ate less on Monday but I am fasting today instead & will again on Friday. I also have bought the Don't Go Hungry Diet book by Amanda Sainsbury-Salis but haven't finished reading it yet. I will post my thoughts on it when I have finished reading but for the meantime I will stay with two fast days & mostly not eating breakfast as an ongoing experiment.
2 inches!!! That is fabulous @raggy

This is a great thread for support and information. Thanks to all who contribute their expertise and support! :heart:
Dear @raggy (and hi to everyone else too)

That's great news about your waist measurement - good for you :) And there is absolutely no need to apologise for sharing what you are going through - that's one of the many things this forum offers, a place where we can offload what is happening and how we are feeling.

It's totally understandable that we turn to comfort foods/drink when we are stressed - but it's ironic that we do, because this is the time when we would particularly benefit from eating wholesome foods instead! Mind you, finding alternatives to crisps and chocolates might be easier than finding alternatives to alcohol!! I am sure you have already thought about what alternatives could work for you (eg a craft activity, going for a walk or doing some other available exercise, soothing bath, foot soak, reading, music, favourite DVD, communicating with friends - phone, email, forum!, and so on) - perhaps writing those down might help and referring to this list when needed. There is a thread on alcohol and fasting which may be of use - I haven't read it tho.

@Sallyo, would you tell us more about your experience with Amanda's strategy - what worked and what didn't, for example.

I found the first Amanda Sainsbury-Salis book (The Don't Go Hungry diet) very good for explaining the famine reaction, the fat brake, and her approach in general, and the second book (Don't go hungry for life) good for identifying lots of different reasons why we have trouble losing weight and keeping it off, and strategies for dealing with these, along with lots of personal stories as examples.

I have been in contact with Amanda with a couple of queries, one around why she advocates having breakfast. This mainly comes from the fact that there is evidence that many people who don't have breakfast often end up breaking their fast with less healthy options and having too much of them. HOWEVER, people who select fasting as a strategy generally learn to manage their hunger and to make good food choices when they do break their fast, so for them - us! - breakfast is optional. Amanda does suggest that on non-fast days it is probably better for the body to eat before we feel ravenous.

And for those who have yoyo dieted, Amanda says "I do not believe that yo yo dieting has adverse long term effects on metabolism, as the body is adaptable and it is always striving for health."

And I hope that everyone's wobbles are starting to settle. :) :clover:
Whoop whoop @raggy - 2 inches?? That's absolutely fabulous! Not to mention thrilling! Well there you go - the trousers/skirts/dresses can't lie! They always tell the truth....

@sassy1 - I'd like to say a huge thank you for the time & trouble you are taking on this thread to help us all. It is absolutely invaluable - you are a total star! I can see I am going to have to get hold of these books you are talking about......but, if I may, can I just pick your brain a bit first please?

I have various pieces of exercise equipment....that I buy because I believe they are the answer to all my prayers....but never use.

I have juicers and the like.....that I buy because I believe they are the answer to all my prayers....and never use.

I have shed loads of self-help books....that I buy because I believe they are the answer to all my prayers...but never bother reading.

Clearly, I am a massive commitment-phobe. In never undertaking to see these things through, does this mean that secretly/deep down I am content with how things are.....or simply not discontent enough to make any changes?

I often find myself thinking that I must make an actual appointment with myself to get inside my head to think various things through - like developing a solid weightloss strategy.....yet I never ever commit to this precious thinking/planning time. My question is: why? Instead, I always let everyday life get in the way, I don't prioritise me.

Hope this isn't too rambly! It makes sense in my head, but might not do so on here! In a nutshell, I am really asking if you know of any way I can successfully work on myself. Or is that the $64 million question??!!
@Hazelnut20, I am loving what you have written. I also have a houseful of 'things' - a nutrininja, countless self help books and cookbooks, exercise DVD's, pilates equipment and a new vibropower which is a vibration plate you exercise on....oh, and so many good intentions.

I can't wait for someone to come forward with the answer to your question :wink: . Here's hoping.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11 Next
164 posts Page 4 of 11