The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

57 posts Page 4 of 4
Congrats, Franglaise! I will probably never run a race again, but I do enjoy the walking a lot! Needed a couple things for supper and walked 1 mile to the grocery and back. Beautiful sunny day (in the 80s), had to enjoy it before we get the cold front on Tues (possible snow showers overnight)!
Well done. Franglaise You must be so pleased with your achievement.
My coach at the club has put me on rest for 10 days so watch my steps fall now! I'm allowed to swim but that's all. Will have to go on 5:2 as no running will mean fewer calories to avoid putting on weight :frown:
Ooooh frustration! Why such a long rest?
Because of the risk of over training. Your muscles need time to repair and when you overtrain you are far more susceptible to injury. If I want to progress and do better times I need to rest to prevent overtraining. That is what mybcoach says, and the other club members who also trained too much when they started running!
I just had a bad day yesterday - I forgot my bass clarinet at home, so instead of walking for an hour before band practice, I was driving home to get it! GRRR! Looks like I'm on track to make it up today though. Over 10,000 steps and I have yet to go home and walk the dog! :grin:

@Franglaise that's cool! I have never trained for anything, so I didn't realize a break from training would head off injuries from over training! You are still able to walk though, right, i.e. not considered a part of training?

BTW, we did get snow showers yesterday - cold and blustery. Today I walked at lunch and it was a crisp 40 deg. F, and temps will be heading up over the next few days, though not to 80 for a while!
Makes sense, I suppose, and learning from other people's mistakes a wise idea Franglaise!

Brrr Debbijgb, that's cold!

My fitbit didn't remind me to recharge it, so yesterday about lunchtime it stopped recording steps and I was out so couldn't charge it - and I was walking about pretty much non stop all arvo. Hmmphf!
debbiejgb wrote: @Franglaise that's cool! I have never trained for anything, so I didn't realize a break from training would head off injuries from over training! You are still able to walk though, right, i.e. not considered a part of training?

Yes, walking is OK, and usually cross training (cycling instead of running) but in my case not this time, I really need to rest. Trouble is running is a bit of a drug for me, I love walking, but don't get the endorphins I do from running (or cycling, or even swimming - which I find soooooo boring!)
Went for a jog today! Don't normally run - much prefer walking, cycling, skating, weights - pretty much anything other than jogging. But today I went for about 2-3kms jog with my son as he was cross country training. Didn't die, and even enjoyed it. Haha, maybe I'll be doing 5km park run soon.
I have Drivebit on my phone so that the bumps in the car are excluded from my step count. When I ride my horses, naturally my One gets bumped around like billy-o, so I switch on Drivebit again. Then when I get home, I re-log the start time and minutes from my activity log of "driving" as horse-riding so that I get the calorie burn but not the steps. So my dashboard count is a lot less than the gizmo in my bra!!! I suppose I could just press my One as an activity but by the time I've got my body-protector and hi-viz vest on, I don't have a lot of room to whip my hand inside my bra and press the button!! (That's even if I remember......)
KataMac wrote: Went for a jog today! Don't normally run - much prefer walking, cycling, skating, weights - pretty much anything other than jogging. But today I went for about 2-3kms jog with my son as he was cross country training. Didn't die, and even enjoyed it. Haha, maybe I'll be doing 5km park run soon.

It's amazing @KataMachow many things we can do but thought would kill us. Eg not eating more than 500 cals. I wasn't a runner either. Good luck, I'm aiming for park run too but shhhhhh don't yell anyone. It's a secret.
57 posts Page 4 of 4