The FastDay Forum

Forum & Progress Tracker Help

41 posts Page 1 of 3
Nothing to LOSE but an O!
02 May 2013, 05:19
Hi all, teacher here - just wanting to stamp out the rising number of spelling errors on what are generally well expressed posts (must be all you English folk who talk "proper".)

If you want to LOSE weight to get a LOOSE belt, check you have the correct number of o's in your words!

Don't worry- I will be back at work next week and have much less "loose" time on my hands.
Re: Nothing to LOSE but an O!
02 May 2013, 05:33
I am glad someone does - I thought maybe I was getting too pedantic!!
02 May 2013, 06:31
And don't get me started with apostrophe+s when it's plural...
02 May 2013, 06:34
No, definitely not pedantic!!!
I have an allergy to grammar and spelling errors. I hate the whole mess with their and they're and I hate when people say "also" and "me too" instead of "either" and "neither do I".
02 May 2013, 06:44
Undercover grammar Nazi staying in the closet.
Damn, have I outed myself?
02 May 2013, 06:44
Ha ha! What really annoys me is seeing obvious mistakes in official notices / press releases / etc. Working as I do in public libraries, this matters - not good to have this sort of mistake on display representing us, either hard copy or online! Our 'Comms Team' are as guilty as anyone else ...
02 May 2013, 06:51
I think that predictive typing on smart phones and the like has a lot to answer for! The number of times I've posted and then spotted some glaring typo! But when there are errors in official publications...that it certainly reprehensible!
02 May 2013, 06:54
I love the predictive text for making some very funny typos! Some that can't be reprinted here. I will put my red pen back in my holster now lest I make a mistake and am called on it!
02 May 2013, 07:07
Hmm. Finding it very amusing that I'm not at all surprised at who agreed with the opening post......

Tihihihihihi! (or should that be Tehehehehe! Discuss.)
02 May 2013, 07:13
... Or 100 line's, lol! :rotfl: :wink: :wink:
02 May 2013, 07:16
As I'm a writer and editor by profession
can you guess my views? Actually, although I'd love it if everyone had time to proof read their posts and never made any errors, I think the forum would be a poorer place if people felt their posts were being judged by their typing/spelling/grammar not their content.
02 May 2013, 07:19
carorees wrote: .... I think the forum would be a poorer place if people felt their posts were being judged by their typing/spelling/grammar not their content.

Asbolootly :wink:
02 May 2013, 07:20
Have to agree Caroline, my spelling and grammar are good, however, my typing is mince and I make lots of mistakes that way. Others on the board have English as another language too - including us Scots!
Let's not get too hung up. Where I live, the written English, signage and official correspondence is shockingly bad- and makes me laugh. I'll keep looking at that and turn a blind eye to the board. The content is much more interesting!
02 May 2013, 07:23
I do agree, just enjoying the joshing.

I would hate for people not to post, worrying that they're language isn't up to it.

So apologies if anyone took it the wrong way!!! And post away, whether loosing or losing :-)
41 posts Page 1 of 3