The FastDay Forum

Forum & Progress Tracker Help

41 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Nothing to LOSE but an O!
02 May 2013, 07:27
I'm sure people will post anyway! A wee bit of banter is cool :)
02 May 2013, 07:29
Being of a slightly dyslexia disadvantage, this was a very useful bit of information for me. I will now be able to write my posts correctly !!!! I know whom to come to to ask all my English questions now ! Thanks
02 May 2013, 07:31
Caro - avoid the Daily Mail newspaper at all costs. A link was published yesterday to an article which stated that 'people will only gain benefits if they eat healthy' and 'non fasting days are a licence to eat unhealthy'. It nearly gave me a coronary - it should be the adverb HEALTHILY and its antonym unhealthily!!

My other pet hate is people who use 'A. Another and I' with wanton abandon - mixing up personal pronouns as subjects and objects in a sentence. In most cases 'Johnny and I went to the shops' is correct, but if the sentence didn't include the other person and you would refer to me, you should also use 'Johnny and me'. eg 'The 5:2 diet suits Johnny and me perfectly' is correct. 'The 5:2 diet suits Johnny and I perfectly' is entirely awkward and wrong! I hear this error on tv all the time and it drives me nuts.

And don't get me started on fewer vs less or the fact that none is singular - 'There is none left' NOT 'There are none left'. Ahhhhh!!!!!

I know - pedant alert!! I'm entirely inconsistent though, as I use local colloquialisms freely and never could get the hang of split infinitives.

Forums and texts are different from newspapers and tv scripts though, a bit of free licence should be allowed here!!
02 May 2013, 07:37
Really interesting and amusing thread for first thing in the morning ... Noe off to work in my newly LOOSE trousers, lol!
02 May 2013, 07:38
Ha ha! *Now* :-D!
02 May 2013, 07:42
Silverdarling - I'm with you on the loose trousers - nothing fits me anymore!! Desperately trying to put off shopping/ altering until I reach my target weight, but I'm finding I look increasing ridiculous in baggy clothes!! Not good when losing weight is supposed to make us look better!!
02 May 2013, 08:06
I'm always explaining the rule about Johnny and me/I to my OH and DS, but they never seem to get it and yet to me it seems so simple to understand. Clearly grammar is like spelling...it comes easier to some than others.

Don't get me started on the use of apostrophes in signage! Official signs, letters etc should always be grammatically correct. After all, people have plenty of time to proof read and check them...unlike on the forum where your reply will be outdated by new posts if you don't get it posted quickly!! Like this one!!
02 May 2013, 08:11
I'm typing on a Spanish keyboard, yes they are different ! So I do my best to get my punctuation in the correct place, I just think it is great for people of all levels of education, languages and backgrounds are coming together to share their experiences, please don't put people off .
03 May 2013, 11:48
Be careful, girls!
If your trousers are loose, you might actually lose them!!! ;-)
03 May 2013, 11:54
Thankfully I read and write fluent typoese :) My spelling is great. It's my typing that has issues.
04 May 2013, 01:42
Caro, you are one brave woman! Respect :like:

Ballerina x
04 May 2013, 08:42
Caro is the Antipodean Carorees keeping us all in check!! :lol: :lol:
04 May 2013, 08:48
Tbh...I do notice obvious spelling mistakes but hey, I'm not here to correct others on it.
I'm here for help and great tips on 5:2

I also think its fair to say that picking people up on spelling and grammar may discourage them to post and that can only be a sad thing in my opinion.
04 May 2013, 09:00
I know how to spell, it's my fingers that forget!
41 posts Page 2 of 3