The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

14 posts Page 1 of 1
300 calories
25 Sep 2014, 07:42
Hi looks like a great forum.
Can I ask a question
I have been eating 300 cal on fast days would this set off my fat storage,as well I always eat less than 100g of carbs every day,I have been on diet for 10 days and lost 1.2 kg

Thank you
Re: 300 calories
25 Sep 2014, 13:57
Hi Julie and welcome! You're correct,this IS a great forum!
Congrats on embarking on yr fasting journey and well done with that very encouraging loss!
I' m not sure what yr question is asking,.
By "setting off fat storage",do you mean losing weight? If so, yes 300 cals on fast days will help you lose weight - you could have up to 500 cals or none at all ( some people do zero cal fasts ) and will lose weight and/ or inches. Eating low carbs will also help a lot with this
and there's a thread for low carbs which i'll try to get the link for you.
It's hard to predict how you will lose..some people lose a lot initially,some like me have to wait awhile for results ( i lost nothing for the first five weeks)Some notice clothes are looser but no change on the scales so its a good idea to take measurements..if the scales dont show a loss the tape measure will!
Not sure if i understood yr question correctly but if not,hopefully someone else will ! X
25 Sep 2014, 14:00
25 Sep 2014, 14:12
Hi @julieshaun And Welcome to this fab forum :like:
As for the 300cals on fastday that's fine the 500 was just a guideline as quarter of TDEE, many members do zero cals liquid only fastday, Good luck Julie let us nosy lot know how its going for you if you would :clover: :clover: Sue
25 Sep 2014, 23:28
Thank you both
Sorry for the confusion I was thinking if I was to have 300 cal my body would go into storing fat cause it was starving. But from your comments it's all good.

Again thank you
26 Sep 2014, 02:26
If you are in calorie deficit, you will not store fat. Fasting every other day or a couple of times a week will not lead to "starvation mode"
26 Sep 2014, 04:32
I think what she's trying to ask is if she would go into "starvation" mode and cause her metabolism to slow down. I think that the short nature of "fasting" days prevents that, or at least makes it less likely. Given that, remember that 5:2 is meant to be a slow weight loss, although you may lose faster initially, if you just started (haven't been losing with some other method recently). For me, I've decided that "slow and steady wins the race," and that I don't need another unsustainable diet on which I lose weight I can't keep off. I call fast days "light," and "feast" days "normal." Helps me to keep the mindset that this is my WOL for the rest of my life, not an exception that will end at some point. So, it's not important that I get to some arbitrary goal, just that I'm on my way. I've determined that for me, under 190lbs is a "magical" number, as it means I can walk without knee pain and not feel like I'm going to fall. My body just isn't built to carry 200+lbs. So, to keep under that number, I either watch what I eat all the time (yuck!), or I do "light" days of about 500 cals. The latter is working great!
26 Sep 2014, 06:22
Thank you everybody I under a lot better now
26 Sep 2014, 09:48
Hi there, @Julieshaun - are you very small or quite elderly to have such a low TDEE? Is the 1200kcals on your 5 non-fast days your TDEE or additional calorie restriction on top of the kcal deficit from the fast days? (Julieshaun mentioned in the Xmas Challenge thread that she eats 1200kcals to less on the other 5 days.)

5-2-diet-chat-f6/pre-register-your-interest-now-for-the-2014-xmas-challenge-t13087-135.html#p203055

I wonder if you'd find it straightforward to cut the carbs further if you were to plateau on that low a kcal/food intake. :?: (Again, mentioned as a possible plateau strategy on the Xmas thread.)

Have you used the forum tools to calculate your TDEE etc.?
26 Sep 2014, 10:38
I am 50 and ATM I am 71.7 kg
No I haven't as I not sure what TDEE is I will try and find what it is
26 Sep 2014, 10:39
Sorry the 1200 cals are on none fast days
26 Sep 2014, 11:19
@Julieshaun If you fill in your personal details in your tracker

tracker.php

then it will give you an estimate as to your BMR and TDEE. You're not elderly, so unless you're very small, it reads to me as if you're doing a standard low calorie diet with 2 fast days rather than 5:2 as such if you're planning to eat 1200 calories or less on your non-fast days. It's everyone's personal decision how to do this, perhaps guided on additional information they have about their health/bodies/lives, but that looks like too stark a level of restriction to me - particularly if your strategy, should you hit a plateau, would be to restrict further.

The general advice is that you might start out at 500 calories on a fast day, and eat to your TDEE on your non-fast days. Once you have the rhythm established, you might feel OK about nudging your calories down, gradually, towards 1/4 of your TDEE on fast days. You might want to try this out for a couple of weeks, observe what happens, and then tweak your food intake, if necessary?

Best wishes in achieving your health and other goals. :clover:
26 Sep 2014, 11:59
I get what you are saying it says I should be having 1541 cal none fast and 385 to 500 cal on fast days,but it is hard to have more calories without increasing the carbs.I am thinking once I reach may goal weight I can increase my cal intake.im a little scared to add anymore calories Atm cause it's working.i will have a think about what you said ,thank you for the link to tracker ,I'm still learning to negotiate my way around the site
26 Sep 2014, 12:06
CandiceMarie linked you to the low carb tent here, I think - so you might get some useful ideas there, and there are certainly experienced forumites who may well be able to answer any questions that you have about how to eat to your TDEE without increasing carbs. Tho' one of the most popular answers seems to be that people should feel empowered to eat full fat yoghurt or cheese rather than the fat-free or low fat versions because, for some people, fat promotes a feeling of satiety. :)
14 posts Page 1 of 1