The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

60 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: discouraged newbie
29 Oct 2014, 00:07
Hi Steph, I too want to apologise for not seeing your posts. So a big welcome. Dont be discouraged, it can all take a while to get started. As to the fasting today threads it seems that Monday and Thursday are the most popular, and usually started by us Aussies as we are the first up and moving on that day. There is also a FB page FastDayFriends that some us are on if you are a FB user.
29 Oct 2014, 00:10
Hi again Steph, just to let you know that you can still view people's posts when you are typing your reply - just scroll down (if you are using the reply option with all the icons appearing, or scroll up if using quick reply, to find them. Bit fiddly, but can be useful. Or else type your reply elsewhere and have both windows open so you can easily review the other posts while compiling yours. :) It is also a very nice thing to do to press the "thank" button when people reply to your posts, though I must admit I find it a bit of a pain doing so cos it seems to take so long for the page to reload and often it sends me to the top of the page and then I have to scroll down to find where I was (I have reported this...).
Anyway, as you can see, you will get support when you ask!!!
Cheers and good luck. :D
PS I know about big bellies and people not thinking you are carrying some excess weight if you dress "appropriately". I always wore loose clothing and no-one thought I was the size I was. I still have a bit of a tummy but I am amazed at how the fat has peeled off my hips (44" down to 35").
29 Oct 2014, 00:23
@Sassy1 the inches lost from your hips! Wow well done..how lovely to be so slinkyhipped!x
29 Oct 2014, 00:43
Thanks Ballerina and Amulet for your support. I hope all goes well with you Amulet, and I'd be pleased to hear how you fare in the coming weeks. Just had my main meal for the day, it was yummy and now I am no longer hungry. Amazing how simple today was, although I still have a few hours to go before bed so maybe I'll have trouble yet :). I think I'll go relax for a while with Adam in front of the tv. Then it is his turn on the computer :). And a big THANK YOU to all who have responded!
29 Oct 2014, 02:15
Hi @stephd. I'm sorry I missed your introduction too. Not sure what time zone you are on but sometimes the North American posts do get missed because we are a select group :grin: However between us and the Australian's we do keep the site ticking along whilst the Europeans are sleeping. However I do think it has been quiet of late. @judithn is from Ottawa, and I'm sure there are others around.

So I'm a Brit living in California and have been fasting for quite some time. I have learned that if I go over my TDEE I will gain weight even when I stick to fasting. It therefore might be worth monitoring your intake for a couple of weeks on MyFitnessPal until you you get a sense of what normal eating is like. Non fast days is about eating what you like, not as much as you like!

I'm assuming you have already found how to calculate your TDEE on the Progress Tracker..

Good luck!
29 Oct 2014, 03:14
Thanks Wineoclock. Perhaps I will jump in on the fasting thread on Thursday, I'm hoping to fast then. I will definitely check out the facebook page.

Wow Sassy! you lost all those inches, that is amazing. What an inspiration!

Rawkaren, thanks for your response too and I will look up judighn, she isn't far from me, comparatively. I can usually guess the calories in the foods I eat after being on caloriecount for a number of months but I don't stick with my TDEE. I have to get more serious and eat better.

Today went so well, and all of your support is so heartwarming! I can now go to bed with another fast day successfully completed. I will dream about tomorrow's first meal of the day :). Sleep well everyone!
29 Oct 2014, 07:42
Hello there.
Looks like you've slipped under our radar my dear. We actively encourage newbies to make there first post in the Introducing yourself forum with a brand new thread of their own. So here we are several days down the line and we are only just getting to know you. So sorry you felt ignored, but there are so many posts here that sometimes we miss some,
Looks like the gang have sorted you out now.....what a great community we have here. So don't be disheartened and let's get down to business,
Yes drop is a line on fast days on the fasting today thread and jump into one or more of the many tents you're interested in.
Good luck and let us know how you're getting on. :clover:
29 Oct 2014, 08:25
Hi don't worry too much about telling people straight away they will start to notice soon enough. I've been doing this since Jan and lost nearly 4 stone ( 55lb). I am one of the people that have been a bit AWOL this week as someone said it's half term in the UK. Have you seen the Buddy thread where you can buddy up with someone and help each other along.
29 Oct 2014, 14:27
Thanks for the tip. I will check out the buddy forum later today. I'm off to the YMCA now for my exercise class. Hope all are well!
30 Oct 2014, 01:02
Well, I've managed to get through the day so far without consuming a mad amount of calories. I actually feel full from my supper. I did my usual search of the cupboards after supper looking for more to eat and found some cheerios and of course I had a bowl even though I wasn't hungry. Then I clued in and said to myself, "you're not hungry! have a cup of tea!" So I did and now will have another cup. I'm hoping the next couple of hours will go by without the temptation to stuff my face.

I found a thread about buddies earlier today but can't find it now. Am I looking in the wrong place, I wonder? I will go search some more as I'd love to have a buddy :). Brand-ie what an achievement losing 4 stone!!!! amazing

I notice some people are already fasting on Thursday, funny to me as it is still Wednesday here lol.
30 Oct 2014, 01:06
stephd wrote: I found a thread about buddies earlier today but can't find it now. Am I looking in the wrong place, I wonder? I will go search some more as I'd love to have a buddy :).
Did you mean this thread, @stephd?
fastonbury-glamping-grounds-f34/fast-diet-buddies-tent-is-now-up-t11260.html
30 Oct 2014, 03:39
Thanks ssure! I checked out the link you gave me and posted but it wasn't the one I had seen earlier. I'll keep looking. There must be oodles more threads than I am seeing but I will learn how to navigate this site quickly I'm sure :).

Have a great night/day! I'm off to bed. I'll check in tomorrow on the Thursday fast thread :).
30 Oct 2014, 06:46
stephd wrote: it wasn't the one I had seen earlier. I'll keep looking. There must be oodles more threads than I am seeing but I will learn how to navigate this site quickly I'm sure :).

Were you, perhaps, looking at this one?
fastonbury-glamping-grounds-f34/buddy-chat-tent-chat-with-your-fasting-buds-here-t12025.html
30 Oct 2014, 10:09
Hi @Stephd I'm a newbie here too and still very much in the trying not to eat everything that isn't nailed down on non fast days phase!
I think because I have been on diets for so much of my life the "liberty" of eating stuff I haven't eaten for years is taking a bit of getting used to ... but I'm in for the long haul .. and also the other health benefits besides weight loss :-)

I have done my first fasts while in the office this week and it was much easier than when I'm at home, even when I am working from home on fast days the fact the kitchen cupboards are there make it harder but all in all it is getting easier .. bouillon is heaven sent as I get low salt headaches ( I have naturally low blood pressure so don't know if that is linked)

I have a friend who is 5:2 and Type 2 Diabetic and he has managed to really reduce his medication since he has been following this , so as long as you feel good and your doctor is happy ignore the nay sayers and enjoy your new life choice :-D
30 Oct 2014, 10:24
Hi:
Here are some tips for those new to 5:2. If you look through the thread you will find info helpful to those with type 2 diabetes: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/ ... -answered/.

Good Luck!
60 posts Page 2 of 4