The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

54 posts Page 1 of 4
Okay I am lost, I am 49yrs old weigh 150 pounds and am trying to lose these 20 pounds I have gained 14yrs ago. I started the 5:2 diet in April. I keep losing the same weight and gaining it back again,so I am losing and gaining the same pounds over and over each week. I will lose 3 pounds after a fast and then by my next fast day, I have already gained back what I lost. This has been going on since April. My clothes have not fit any differently so I know I haven't lost inches. On my feast days I usually eat 1600-1800 calories plus I exercise 3times a week. What the heck am I doing wrong. I am trying to be patient. Has anyone else had this happen? I don't want to hear from the people who tell me, I must be over eating because I use my fitness pal and record the food that goes in my mouth. Anyone will some great help would be very appreciated.no thyroid issues either.
Wow, how frustrating...
I'm afraid I can't help, but I'm sure somebody will have some ideas soon.
Welcome Youda. Four things that have worked for me.
I have my TDEE set to sedentary. This has bought my feast day down to 1433.
MFP encourages you to use the calories earned from exercise. I never do that and stick to TDEE.
Dropped carbs to below 150g per day.
I do 16:8 too.

Sorry this is tough for you. Looks like you don't have much to lose. Good luck :clover: :clover:
Well done for sticking with it though.
Very frustrating. My OH hasn't lost any weight either. I must say though that he doesn't stick so strictly to the rules as I do, eats meusili for breakfast, drinks too much on the other days. Also he's on diabetes type 2 medication. He doesn't read about it, hasn't read MM's book and doesn't do the forum. So in his case, I don't think he's serious. That's not your case.

I can only say, that I hope you are getting other health benefits from doing this WOE.
I hear you youda1 am in the same position since July. I am just thinking this is a way of life and potter along. For example I did a pristine fluid fast yesterday and scales have me 400gm from my lowest low. Rather than sailing along I am snailing along.

I can only give encouragement to you about sticking to it, do variations to the theme, and enjoy the journey. There was an interesting thread where the Aussie female Professor ( ? An @Caroees thread) talks about 18:6 with first meal protein and the rest of the window low carb and she also talked about the famine effect meaning you have to feed too. I have stopped MFP except for fast says

If I knew what the solution was I would be trumpeting it on high, but it seems so individual.
I know if I eat too many white carbs (sugar, flour white rice and white pasta) I put on weight expediently. After 40 years watching my weight I know if I eat these things I break out in fat. I am maintaining at the moment but I only need to go mad one day on the above and the scales soar. It may be that it is a different food that is your nemeses but it would be worth while trying to find out if you have a food that doesn't agree with you.
I know you 'don't want to hear' from those who tell you you must be over-eating, but realistically, it's the only possible answer.

Try recalculating your TDEE using different calculators. I know mine varies by about 150 depending on which site I use. I choose to go by the lowest one. You say you're eating 1600 - 1800 calories - you need to consider that your actual TDEE may be lower than that.
I'll go against the grain here and say maybe this isn't the diet for you. Have other things worked for you in the past? If so, maybe try that. If you're into 5:2 for potential health benefits beyond losing weight, you can always come back to it after you reach goal.

/runs for the hills
Thanks for the help as I will try to cut out the white carbs a bit and see if that helps, I am also thinking of doing 4:3 and see if that changes anything. Peri menopausal may be an issue but want to get the weight off to feel better. The only diet that I did that worked for me was the hcg drops I lost 10 pounds but gained it all back when I started eating more fruits and carbs. I was hoping this would work because 2days a week of fasting is nothing compared to the 27 days of fasting with the hcg diet. I have noticed that I am eating less after my fast day and notice that I don't crave sweets so much, I just was hoping the scale would move. I will stick to it because I like those 2things that changed my eating habits.
Hi:

Sorry. You are eating to many calories. You have to lose weight if you are doing 5:2 and eating below your TDEE on your feast days, especially after six months.

Good Luck!
Hi youda1
I certainly understand your frustration, especially when 'everyone' else seems to be doing ok. :(
I notice that your BMI is in the healthy range, so perhaps your body has become very comfortable at that weight, and needs a 'severe' change to jolt it out of complacency - tho please note I have no medical evidence for saying this.
Cutting out the white carbs, as you plan to do, should be a good start. Have lots of veggies and appropriate amounts of protein.
Certainly give 4:3 a go, and also 16:8.
Try a different form of exercise - have you done some form of interval training?
Drink lots of water and herbal teas.
Get a good amount of sleep.
Let us know how you go.
Best wishes and good luck :)
Have you had your thyroid checked?
youda1 wrote: Thanks for the help as I will try to cut out the white carbs a bit and see if that helps, I am also thinking of doing 4:3 and see if that changes anything. Peri menopausal may be an issue but want to get the weight off to feel better. The only diet that I did that worked for me was the hcg drops I lost 10 pounds but gained it all back when I started eating more fruits and carbs. I was hoping this would work because 2days a week of fasting is nothing compared to the 27 days of fasting with the hcg diet. I have noticed that I am eating less after my fast day and notice that I don't crave sweets so much, I just was hoping the scale would move. I will stick to it because I like those 2things that changed my eating habits.

I have done hcg too and lost masses, but it is not a sustainable WOE as the weight comes back, and then some. Fast days should be a breeze for you if you follow the hcg principles. So maybe 4:3 with 16:8 might help start to shift things again.
54 posts Page 1 of 4