The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

54 posts Page 4 of 4
Re: No progress at all
21 Aug 2013, 08:26
Vildekhaya wrote: I'm allowing for the fact that some days I'm going to consume more calories because I'm having a couple of pints of beer or a few glasses of wine several nights a week. Because I don't want to deprive myself - I wouldn't last 5 minutes on any kind of diet or eating regime where something is off limits.

Skip the beer, go for wine or liquor (no sugary drinks), avoid the carbs. Beer is about twice as fattening, although you might find low carb beer.
21 Aug 2013, 08:51
Try spritzers, can have 50mls wine either red or white top the glass with good quality mineral water and add a good squish of fresh lime juice. It is a lovely long drink and the lime gives it some guts. I am sipping one now

The weight loss is slow on this WOE but a lot of us have become Impatient and that is why we have tweaked with variations like liquid fasting, 5:2/16:8; etc. Also this forum is full of our travails when stalled or not losing. All I can add is best of luck. hope you find what works for you
22 Aug 2013, 06:21
Thanks, everyone!

Sorry if I was grumpy earlier - hadn't intended to come across that way but was just very frustrated.

Anyway, I have good news - I *have* lost weight. My FitBit Aria recorded 75.7kg this morning and my body fat has also dropped a percentage point to 43.1%. PROGRESS! I think I had a lot of water retention over the last 10 days. Looking in the mirror this morning, I definitely look thinner and (shh) I can even see a tiny bit of waist definition reappearing... I'm still in my pyjamas so can't say if my clothes are looser yet, but I do hope so :-)

I am so, so happy. It's renewed my determination to keep going. Thank you all again for your encouragement.
22 Aug 2013, 07:20
Thats great news Vildekhaya! :like: :victory:

Keep on going and more progress will follow, i hardly lost anything in my first weeks lol about half a pound, now almost 4 lbs after a good 6 weeks, slow yes, but worth the wait just to see that number go down!! :-)

Happy fasting :clover: :heart:

Angie x :grin:
22 Aug 2013, 09:01
Hi again Vildekhaya - Short term fluctuations due to water retention, hormones, muscle increases etc can all frustrate and confuse the picture. Frequent weighing is useful for lots of people but it's easy to get hung up on individual readings rather than the big picture. As I said before, I think you're doing great and it just needs time for it to work and for you to find the best way of applying it that works for you.
Folk here are really keen to share their own experiences and that can easily be perceived as criticism if it is different from your own. The truth is that everyone's physiology is slightly different, some people respond badly to carbs and sugar, some to fats and some even do not respond well to the 5:2 regime. You have and will find YOUR best way.
Don't stress the readings at all just now. Wait at least a couple of months and then look back critically at your graphs etc then make any changes that YOU want using the experiences and advice that are shared on the forum.
It is a miracle "diet" in lots of ways. My own experience that convinced me that it was right for me for the rest of my days was the change in my typical health indicators as measured by my doctor after 12 weeks. I went from being being of average late 30s health (despite being of good fitness) to being of excellent early 20s health (still just the same fitness though!). Blood pressure, cholesterol, resting pulse, inflammation markers, sugar etc all dropped like a stone. Plus I feel great. That for me was the big pay off, although I understand that this isn't everyone's goal.
22 Aug 2013, 10:31
Hi Vildekhaya I am so pleased for you that you are on track again , well done and good luck
21 Sep 2013, 17:41
Maybe you aren't eating enough on your fast days and your body is going into starvation mode.
21 Sep 2013, 17:44
I am. And that was a month ago, when I was also eating 450-500 cals on fast days.
21 Sep 2013, 20:06
Dont despair V and Lornameg..i too after 4 weeks have seen only minimum results as yet

BUT its early days..we are doing great in that we're DOING it
Not just thinking about it or talking about it like many others will be...
We will be getting the health benefits which is the main point of the diet!
We will lose weight in time..proper fat loss not just waters/ muscle
lets keep the faith a bit longer before we get despondent!

XX
54 posts Page 4 of 4